Sponsored by:

Comments from Targa/Cab owners

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2016, 02:34 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,147 Likes on 691 Posts
Default Comments from Targa/Cab owners

I'm looking for info/comments from individuals who have driven/owned Targas and cabs (and especially anyone who may be familiar with both models for a compare/contrast).
My last 911 cab was an '88 turbo and I do dislike the thought of issues with top care and wear (even though I'm on my second Boxster).
The Targa looks like it may be a good compromise on the top. I am leery of the top up/down only when stopped - has anyone had a situation where that made you very unhappy?
And comments, + or - of any sort from those with driving experience in these models appreciated.
Thanks.
Old 10-10-2016, 06:02 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,628 Posts

I have not driven a Targa.

I have to say I am disappointed in the "lines" on my top, but I haven't tried to treat the top yet to see if they fade somewhat. And I may bring it up when it goes in for service.

Other than that, I love my Cab. I'm very happy I got it over the coupe although there is certainly nothing wrong with the coupe. Here are the quick pros and cons (since you have a Boxster I won't get into the whole open top thing, you got that, I'll keep it 911 specific).

Pros:

More induction noise. (Edited to clarify with top up vs. coupe. Of course you get more noise with the top down).
No measurable loss in performance.
Open top up to 30 MPH means you can put top down at stoplights without a care in the word.
Wind buffeting nonexistent even over 100 MPH (in Mexico, of course) with the wind deflector in place.
Less weight than the Targas. By a good margin, IIRC.

Cons:

Rear seat slightly more upright.
Rear seat slightly narrower
Wind deflector only usable when you have no one in the rear seat.

Last edited by Needsdecaf; 10-10-2016 at 07:13 PM.
Old 10-10-2016, 06:46 PM
carsnob
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've driven Cabrio's for 15 years . The 991's have such an awesome roofline without the plastic trim above the side windows.
A Cabrio and Targa are definitely not the same. When sitting in a Targa with the roof open, you still feel enclosed around the back .
Even though it's mostly glass, it doesn't have that open air feel .
Having said that that Targa is still very cool.
For someone who likes a coupe with a sunroof the Targa would have a major sunroof, but that's not the same as the Cabrio
Old 10-10-2016, 06:57 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

I love my cab.

One thing to note is that the 991 is actually a convertible hardtop with a fabric covering. The panels are magnesium for weight and there is enough insulation to negate any wind noise difference. You can't get SPASM (including the lower ride height) on the cab due to a slightly less stiff frame. The cab stiffness is negligible with the top up and doubtful any human could really tell with it down.

LOVE mine.

Also with the 991- the built in wind screen is incredible.
Old 10-10-2016, 06:59 PM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,117 Posts

This Targa looks like a steal:

https://www.carfax.com/vehicles/WP0B...mountain-lakes
Old 10-10-2016, 07:03 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Wind deflector only usable when you have no one in the rear seat.
Meh- like anyone can REALLY fit in the back seats, lol. Even if there was someone back there - the back seat in a convertible is always miserable unless an old american Cadillac or similar Any audult sitting back there would only be for short jaunts anyway.
Old 10-10-2016, 07:13 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,628 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
Meh- like anyone can REALLY fit in the back seats, lol. Even if there was someone back there - the back seat in a convertible is always miserable unless an old american Cadillac or similar Any audult sitting back there would only be for short jaunts anyway.
I have a 6 year old and 9 year old and they fit fine...even though my 9 year old is 4'11" and 105 lbs. They love the car and adore the fact it's a cab. They haven't stopped asking if we could get a convertible since we drove an M4 cab about a year ago.

So yes, people CAN fit in the back seats....just not adults. But those two rear seats meant the difference between getting a 911 for our family to use, and having to settle for an M4, etc.
Old 10-10-2016, 07:17 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
Thanks but I took a bath trading my nearly new TT because I couldn't stand the PDK. I found one MT Targa on Porsche's pre-owned locator, so I'll probably have to order one to get a MT.
I've driven both 991.1 and 991.2 cabs (both with MT!) and the roof is very impressive when closed as far as quiet and the feel of stability. I'm sure I would find one acceptable, but I do like the lines of the Targa. I have not been able to drive a Targa of any sort.
And thanks for all the other responses. I found the glass sunroof opening on my TT absurdly small, so I'm sure the Targa HAS to be better than that!
Any Targa owners to chime in?
Old 10-10-2016, 07:18 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
I have a 6 year old and 9 year old and they fit fine...even though my 9 year old is 4'11" and 105 lbs. They love the car and adore the fact it's a cab. They haven't stopped asking if we could get a convertible since we drove an M4 cab about a year ago.

So yes, people CAN fit in the back seats....just not adults. But those two rear seats meant the difference between getting a 911 for our family to use, and having to settle for an M4, etc.
My 9 year old is about 100 pounds and rides back there but even then its only for the fact that my wife is 5'3" that is works.

Same boat here... I won't be able to justify anything without a "back seat" albeit a small one until my daughter is 18 or I get some kind of windfall and get Oprah money. Even then - we need the back seat to put my wife's crap when we go places. The frunk isn't bad for space but my wife and daughter both require access to "stuff" when we go places.
Old 10-10-2016, 07:30 PM
TAL2GK
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Love my cab. I'm really impressed with the lack of wind buffeting, especially compared with my previous Z4. I also use the rear seats for small human transportation and they work great. At 6'1", I was even able to drive my MT with my 5'4" wife sitting behind me. It wasn't ideal for either of us, but it was possible. As it turns out, the wind deflector comes in over the top of my 10-month-old son's head, so he can ride with me top down without fear of bugs circling around and hitting him in the head.

As much as I like Targas for the cool factor, I agree they aren't as open as a convertible. They are also more prone to rattling, based on posts on here. Plus, when I'm putting my son in his seat, it is a piece of cake with the top down. The Targa would've screwed that benefit up for me.
Old 10-10-2016, 07:35 PM
fjpdds
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 14 Posts

2 years with my targa and love it. Waiting on the top to open or close has not been an issue. I've read where suspension was set up a touch softer, allowing for the extra weight. That is a plus for me as it's my DD. I also drove a targa GTS on a euro tour. I did not really feel much difference from my targa 4S.
No regrets, it's a beauty.
Attached Images  
Old 10-10-2016, 10:10 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 332 Likes on 190 Posts

Targa here. Love it, love it, love it!!! Bought it CPO with 1800 miles on it at the end of January this year and DD it all year round (the 4S rocks in all weather) and have 9500 on it now. No rattle issues and I nave no issues waiting the 19 seconds for the top to deploy. I did purchase the Mod4Cars SmartTop one touch automation which I love.

As for the comments above that a Targa is more like a coupe with a large sunroof....sorry, its much more than that. I've had cabs before (albeit no P car cabs) and I would take the Targa over the cab look/feel any day of the week. And its an attention grabber for sure as cabs are everywhere, but folks don't see as many Targa's out there.
Old 10-10-2016, 10:48 PM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Got a 2016 GTS Targa. Logged 1200 miles in Europe.

Unreal.

/end
Old 10-10-2016, 10:58 PM
Porsche Jeff
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

My 991 is my 4th Porsche Cab and that is the only Porsche I would consider. I'm a top down ragtop guy. Just love them.
Old 10-11-2016, 07:37 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fjpdds
2 years with my targa and love it. Waiting on the top to open or close has not been an issue. I've read where suspension was set up a touch softer, allowing for the extra weight. That is a plus for me as it's my DD. I also drove a targa GTS on a euro tour. I did not really feel much difference from my targa 4S.
No regrets, it's a beauty.
Great combo with the E/C interior! My TT was Anthracite/E/C. I miss that color combo.
Thanks very much for all of the opinions folks.
Happy to read more...

Quick Reply: Comments from Targa/Cab owners