Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

painting calipers voids warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2016, 09:07 PM
nariman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default painting calipers voids warranty?

i was thinking to paint the calipers
so i hear it can void warranty on brakes?
is that true?
Old 10-01-2016, 09:40 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

My local dealer will do any color you want so I doubt it will void the warranty.
Old 10-01-2016, 10:25 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,410 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Originally Posted by nariman
i was thinking to paint the calipers so i hear it can void warranty on brakes? is that true?
I doubt it. Unless the paint/painting process damages a part or mechanism that is under warranty. The burden of proof is on you. Not Porsche.
Old 10-01-2016, 10:46 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 852 Likes on 429 Posts

Time to get an S with red brakes and call it a day.
Old 10-01-2016, 10:57 PM
nariman
Advanced

thanks
how about if i decide to take it to autocross or track and change pads or fluids, or get more aggressive tires would that void?

Last edited by nariman; 10-01-2016 at 11:13 PM.
Old 10-01-2016, 11:16 PM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by nariman
thanks how about if i decide to take it to auto or track and change pads or fluids, or get more aggressive tires would that void?
For example, if you change your pads and fluid, and then go track the car, and your radio blows up, your radio should be "OK" under warranty.

But if your master cylinder blows up or your ABS get toasted, Porsche could (possibly) deny your warranty. It's up to them. They don't have to prove your pads or fluid or track use caused the issue.

The burden of proof is on you. That's neither easy nor inexpensive.
Old 10-02-2016, 04:24 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 833 Likes on 459 Posts

No none of that voids your warranty unless you basically fundamentally change the way the car was made. Hell my Porsche dealer in San Antonio invited me to take my new CPO'd '09 C4S to Harris Hill Track a month after they sold the car to me! Doubtful hi-performance pads, Racing Brake Fluid, or tires changes will cause Porsche to void any warranty....hundreds of your fellow RL's can testify to this.
Old 10-02-2016, 09:27 AM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
For example, if you change your pads and fluid, and then go track the car, and your radio blows up, your radio should be "OK" under warranty.

But if your master cylinder blows up or your ABS get toasted, Porsche could (possibly) deny your warranty. It's up to them. They don't have to prove your pads or fluid or track use caused the issue.

+1^^^
To put it another way -- the modification you make would have to be linked to a particular part failure ( how is at the discretion of Porsche....!). Changing fluids for example if not done properly could definitely lead to failures. Painting calipers if done improperly could also lead to problems.... but it may not be the painting and more likely that disassembly or assembly of the caliper and related components was done improperly that would lead to voiding a warranty claim. Heck if Porsche wanted to they could claim you lifted the car improperly!!! So if you are at all worried about this just take the car to your dealer and tell them what you are trying to do and they will advise..... but please keep in mind that many owners have done many many modifications to their cars without any issue with warranty claims.
Old 10-02-2016, 10:44 AM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 86 Posts

A friend of mine has an older M3 and he really liked the bright red calipers on my car so he decided to paint his. When he removed the front wheel he discovered how small his calipers were and decided that bringing attention to them by painting them bright red would be a bad idea. Sort of like the car equivalent to the banana hammock
Old 10-02-2016, 04:05 PM
dethred
Intermediate

​​​​​​Completely false. The burden of proof is on them to link a modification to a part failure.

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0138-auto-warranties-routine-maintenance
Old 10-02-2016, 04:35 PM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by dethred
​​​​​​Completely false. The burden of proof is on them to link a modification to a part failure. https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/article...ne-maintenance
If and when Porsche denies your warranty work, give them that link (did not read). Let me know how it goes for you.
The following users liked this post:
rugu6869 (12-15-2020)
Old 10-02-2016, 04:38 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,248 Likes on 1,029 Posts

Originally Posted by dethred
​​​​​​Completely false. The burden of proof is on them to link a modification to a part failure.

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/article...ne-maintenance

You are correct. Performing routine maintenance can be done by an Indy, me or my daughter. It doesn't void the warranty and it doesn't have to be done at the dealership. That is just ridiculous. And in LexVan's example, it is not even a modification.
Old 10-02-2016, 09:49 PM
dethred
Intermediate

If and when Porsche denies your warranty work, give them that link (did not read). Let me know how it goes for you.
Ignorance is bliss, enjoy it.
Old 10-03-2016, 01:34 AM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

Painting calipers won't void anything besides warranty coverage on for instance chipped paint on the calipers. If you break the car while painting the calipers whatever you break is not covered, but the act of painting calipers is irrelevant there.

Now if the dealer claims it voids your warranty, while he'd be wrong in the USA, you'd still be stuck in a bad place. You'd pretty much have to argue with them, try to sort it out, and if all else fails settle it in the courts. While you'd be almost certain to win any reasonable claim there, you've already lost a lot of it gets to that point. Again though, this is true of most anything, not just caliper paint.
Old 10-03-2016, 01:51 AM
nariman
Advanced

Thank you all !
all clear to me

Quick Reply: painting calipers voids warranty?