Sponsored by:

painting calipers voids warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 02:14 AM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
If and when Porsche denies your warranty work, give them that link (did not read). Let me know how it goes for you.
Or have your lawyer give them that link.

Truth is, the burden is, indeed, on Porsche to prove that something you - or an indy - did caused the problem. However, they have the deep pockets here, so they can just out spend you on the whole process and, by default, win.
Old 10-03-2016, 10:01 AM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

If you are painting black calipers red or yellow, you may also want to consider some M badges to finish the look.
Old 12-12-2020, 08:23 PM
beemerb0y
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts

Would powdercoating void warranty on the brakes? Since they need to be fully taken apart, any gaskets/rubber, fluid flushed etc
Old 12-13-2020, 09:55 AM
blraider97
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 50 Posts

While the law may state otherwise, any changes to the car could theoretically lead to warranty issues. I’ve had dealers that were very mod-friendly while others have attempted to get me to sign an actual document acknowledging the voiding of my warranty due to mods, which I refused to sign. Just depends. Some dealers are real a-holes.
Old 12-13-2020, 10:13 AM
mrpat3l
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 24 Posts

LOL those are fighting words
Old 12-13-2020, 10:14 AM
mrpat3l
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Grunty
If you are painting black calipers red or yellow, you may also want to consider some M badges to finish the look.
LOL those are fighting words
The following users liked this post:
CSK 911 C4S (12-13-2020)
Old 12-13-2020, 12:07 PM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 556 Likes on 336 Posts

Porsche has in its warranty literature a clause that states that only approved modifications are allowed on their vehicles.

That is a very broad statement that implies that you need permission from Porsche to change anything on their cars.

Seems that would be their firewall to warranty claims they would contest. One would think common sense would prevail.
Old 12-13-2020, 01:35 PM
Pmorritt
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts

I routinely change the air in my tires. When i took the car in for service they voided the warranty and and said No More Porsches for you.
Old 12-13-2020, 04:00 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,320 Posts

Originally Posted by Pmorritt
I routinely change the air in my tires. When i took the car in for service they voided the warranty and and said No More Porsches for you.
you got off easy man, I refueled my porsche and they voided my warranty
Old 12-14-2020, 08:54 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 770 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by plenum
+1^^^
To put it another way -- the modification you make would have to be linked to a particular part failure ( how is at the discretion of Porsche....!). Changing fluids for example if not done properly could definitely lead to failures. Painting calipers if done improperly could also lead to problems.... but it may not be the painting and more likely that disassembly or assembly of the caliper and related components was done improperly that would lead to voiding a warranty claim. Heck if Porsche wanted to they could claim you lifted the car improperly!!! So if you are at all worried about this just take the car to your dealer and tell them what you are trying to do and they will advise..... but please keep in mind that many owners have done many many modifications to their cars without any issue with warranty claims.
+1

the person doing the work is extremely important. Make sure to check his/her references and see their work
Old 04-10-2024, 11:38 AM
Cityfisher
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
You are correct. Performing routine maintenance can be done by an Indy, me or my daughter. It doesn't void the warranty and it doesn't have to be done at the dealership. That is just ridiculous. And in LexVan's example, it is not even a modification.
In Canada we dont have this to fall on to.. My dealer said you might not be covered if you get your oil changes are done elsewhere since we cant guarantee the other shops did it right

Its dumb.
The following users liked this post:
Wolpertinger (04-10-2024)
Old 04-10-2024, 03:30 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 853 Likes on 468 Posts

Originally Posted by irontmp
I have a 22 Model Y and recently started to hear very faint clicking noise at low speed. 2-5 MPH .. at Driver side front. Made a service center appointment and was able to reproduce the noise in front of Mechanic he then says your brake calipers are painted so that voids the warranty. Good day to you... I argued and said what do you mean? He said that the noise is probably coming from the brakes and since it's painted that voids the warranty and he can't touch it... I argued back and said it how can that possibly void the warranty? and that it doesn't sound like the brake and more like ball joint or axle or suspension related. His exact words were "Since someone had to remove the caliper and repaint it and then reinstall, that voids the warranty". so I said, if I change the air filter myself does that void the warranty on that also? He looked at me and said Yes... "basically if anyone else beside Tesla touches it, will void the warranty". Now I purchase and work on cars my whole life and call BS on that, but he and the server advisor both agreed and said no warranty
easy to say for them but super hard to prove and as I understand it under Magnunsom law or something related to US warranty law; they have to prove direct relation of failure and your modification or lack of servicing for it to hold up legally…same reason why they can’t void your entire warranty for say new cat back mufflers or say aftermarket wheels! Get someone familiar with this legally involved and get it a call or notice over to them and they’ll likely change their comments! If just painted calipers and no removal and other damage done they’ll sure to lose in court without direct damage demonstrated!

Quick Reply: painting calipers voids warranty?