Sponsored by:

Inferior US Online Configurator

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 02:10 PM
bluehorseshoe
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 179 Posts
Default Inferior US Online Configurator

Wow, waiting for my '16 GTS to arrive and I was bored. Went to Porsche's Abu Dhabi website--discovered that they have a superior configurator.

It will show you most every little detail. For example, SPASM lowered suspension, tinted windows, instrument gauges in different colors, Sport Design, Aerokit, clear taillights...all the way down to the headlight washers in different colors!
Also, there 3D actually works whereas I can't get US 3D to work.

Also, they still have '16 GTS online.

Enjoy .

****Correction**** After updating Safari and installing some plug-in the US configurator works fine in 3D Full Screen Mode Only showing most details of your build.

Last edited by bluehorseshoe; 10-01-2016 at 12:41 PM.
Old 09-30-2016, 02:16 PM
trice9
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by bluehorseshoe
Wow, waiting for my '16 GTS to arrive and I was bored. Went to Porsche's Abu Dhabi website--discovered that they have a superior configurator.

It will show you most every little detail. For example, SPASM lowered suspension, tinted windows, instrument gauges in different colors, Sport Design, Aerokit, clear taillights...all the way down to the headlight washers in different colors!
Also, there 3D actually works whereas I can't get US 3D to work.

Also, they still have '16 GTS online.

Enjoy .
The US site shows all those details when you're in 3D mode. I can't get 3D to work on my macs, but I can on my PCs.
Old 09-30-2016, 02:19 PM
bluehorseshoe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by trice9
The US site shows all those details when you're in 3D mode. I can't get 3D to work on my macs, but I can on my PCs.
That would make sense because I've only had Macs lately.
Old 09-30-2016, 02:23 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,235 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Internet Explorer is the only browser that I can get the 3D configurator to work on. It shows all those details except SD package since it is not available in the US yet.
Old 09-30-2016, 02:27 PM
go.illini
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 8 Posts

3D works in Safari on my Mac. Or at least it did as of last night. Not that I visit it that often... Oh who am I kidding.
Old 09-30-2016, 02:32 PM
bluehorseshoe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by go.illini
3D works in Safari on my Mac. Or at least it did as of last night. Not that I visit it that often... Oh who am I kidding.
3D now loads on Safari but picture is almost black, unusable.
Old 09-30-2016, 02:40 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 708 Likes on 494 Posts

3D now loads on Safari but picture is almost black, unusable.
same for me
Old 09-30-2016, 03:27 PM
Cristophosphorus
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I haven't had any problems with 3D on my work Mac (Safari). I'll log in and check, but yes, 3D is the only way you can see all the little details that you spec out. Hell, it'll even show you the contract stitching on the steering wheel when you're looking at an exterior view of the car. Kinda cool.
Old 09-30-2016, 09:31 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

BTW - I just want to add that I have been on many other car configurators and Porsche has THE best. IMO. We can debate the differences between Porsche UAE and PCNA. They are the same though with the right browser.
Old 10-01-2016, 12:40 AM
mallocfailure
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Funny enough I wrote up a few notes on the 3D ("360") configurator just recently on p9... here's what I said:

- After Chrome retired support for NPAPI plugins, it looks like Firefox followed suit. The only browser I can actually get to work with the 3d Unity player without jumping through hoops is Internet Explorer. (This is on a PC. YMMV on other OSes.)
- If you're running Windows 10, the icon that looks like the Internet Explorer icon may actually be for the newer MS browser - Edge. Unity doesn't work in Edge - you can go to the start menu and search for 'iexplore' and you'll find the proper legacy IE where Unity will still work.
- There is a Chrome extension called GameLoad that lets you run the Unity plugin. Once it's installed, bring up the configurator in Chrome, then right click anywhere on the page and choose "Open this site in GameLoad", and you can then use the 360 view.

Final note - I have an ASUS 3d monitor, which I almost never use for 3d - but the 3d configurator actually seems to work OK in it. There are a few moments of feeling crosseyed when looking at a car interior, but it seems to pass quickly. But it's pretty neat to play with the configurator in 'real' 3d.
I haven't yet gotten it working with my HTC Vive... I'd love to be able to have it work in VR!
Old 10-01-2016, 11:47 AM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,219 Likes on 1,117 Posts

On Macs, you need to go to full screen and then you will see an amazing rendered image. I play with it often as I wait for my car to be built.
Old 10-01-2016, 12:33 PM
bluehorseshoe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by subshooter
BTW - I just want to add that I have been on many other car configurators and Porsche has THE best. IMO. We can debate the differences between Porsche UAE and PCNA. They are the same though with the right browser.
100% agree with you on this now that I got it working in full-screed 3D.
Old 10-01-2016, 12:41 PM
bluehorseshoe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
On Macs, you need to go to full screen and then you will see an amazing rendered image. I play with it often as I wait for my car to be built.
It is excellent indeed but now that I discovered it actually works in full-screen my productivity has dropped off even further both at home & office!
Old 10-01-2016, 06:35 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

It is excellent indeed but now that I discovered it actually works in full-screen my productivity has dropped off even further both at home & office!

Let me give you some unsolicited advice....

Stay off the configurator. It will bankrupt you. I checkout the configurator in several different countries just so I can see what options are coming out in the US soon. I am convinced that Porsche marketing has put some subliminal messaging in the configurator that keeps me addicted to clicking options. Here is how my stupid logic goes....."If I can afford a 120k base Carrera then I can afford a 130k Targa 4. $10k down the drain.

Old 10-01-2016, 07:44 PM
steve9
Instructor

Received 76 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
Thanks. That was a good find. It even has the Porsche crest headrests and BOSE speakers! I just to gotta have that carbon steering wheel now.

Quick Reply: Inferior US Online Configurator