Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New options in configurator - thoughts on door handles?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 10:26 AM
trice9
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 19 Posts
Default New options in configurator - thoughts on door handles?

I noticed in the last week a few new options appeared in the online configurator. Specifically: Door Handles in Black (High Gloss) and Rear Lid Intake Grille Slats Painted.

Unfortunately, when choosing those, the image doesn't reflect it. I am debating (although leaning against at this point) the door handles in black. My build below (december delivery) is rhodium silver with some black accents (black PDLS+ lights, black gloss carrera sport wheels, tinted tailights, black targa roof, and obviously the black engine slats), so black door handles would carry that theme. But, different color door handles is not the norm, and i don't want it to look "aftermarket". I actually want somewhat of a classic look (targa, the black wheels are a little reminiscent of the classic black fuchs) and black door handles may go against that. Any thoughts? Thanks.

http://www.porsche-code.com/PHDNT6R6
Old 09-30-2016, 10:38 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

No black door handles with your car. Agree with your explanation. Will look cheesy on any car I'm sure. You'd rather have them blend in with the door.

Porsche isn't always right on with some of these options. Just another $$$ option to sell. Which is fine if you're paying for a car and want it customized like you want.
Old 09-30-2016, 10:45 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

No.

Just because you can doesn't mean you should.
Old 09-30-2016, 10:48 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Don't these come standard on black cars?
Old 09-30-2016, 10:50 AM
go.illini
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 8 Posts

I could see someone ordering up some deviated black trim (headlight cleaners, mirrors, door handles, etc) and it *might* look good as part of an overall theme. Also, the configurator won't let you put black door handles on a non-metallic black car. LOL Dammit I wan't to pay extra for black door handles on my black car!

I love marketing behind the painted grill slats. On the 991.1 many wanted the black grill from the GTS to replace their painted engine grill. Now I suppose people will want the painted grill on the 991.2 to replace the black one.

I wonder what grill the new GTS will have. I am sure that will be the next hot swap.
Old 09-30-2016, 11:15 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,607 Likes on 1,620 Posts

Originally Posted by go.illini
I could see someone ordering up some deviated black trim (headlight cleaners, mirrors, door handles, etc) and it *might* look good as part of an overall theme. Also, the configurator won't let you put black door handles on a non-metallic black car. LOL Dammit I wan't to pay extra for black door handles on my black car!

I love marketing behind the painted grill slats. On the 991.1 many wanted the black grill from the GTS to replace their painted engine grill. Now I suppose people will want the painted grill on the 991.2 to replace the black one.

I wonder what grill the new GTS will have. I am sure that will be the next hot swap.
Yup. This happens on every car that has any kind of modding community. You always want what you don't have. As soon as what you wanted becomes commonplace, you want to go back.

Personally I am happy for the painted grille option, even though it doesn't matter to me now. I always hated the GTS's black grille and hated the black grille on the .2. To me, interrupts the line of the car. That's ok if you have a big wing on it, where it is already interrupted. But even on the R, it's my least favorite aspect of the car since there's no fixed wing.
Old 09-30-2016, 11:36 AM
babyjocko
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you're getting black PDLS+ and going with Rhodium Silver, I'd get the black door handles. Dark tinted windows would seal the deal. This option has been available for other Porsche models. I spec'd a Metallic White Macan S with black door handles and it looks great.
Old 09-30-2016, 12:05 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 698 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
No black door handles with your car. Agree with your explanation. Will look cheesy on any car I'm sure. You'd rather have them blend in with the door.

Porsche isn't always right on with some of these options. Just another $$$ option to sell. Which is fine if you're paying for a car and want it customized like you want.
True.

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
No.

Just because you can doesn't mean you should.
Truth!

Originally Posted by STG
Don't these come standard on black cars?
Bahahahaha!!!!!
Old 09-30-2016, 12:14 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

You said you are going for a classic look. Black door handles fit that look. Especially with the other black accents you have planned.

I think it will look good and subtly set your car apart.
Old 09-30-2016, 12:23 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by go.illini

we were all swapping out the Oldsmobile - look US spec red rear turn signal lenses on our 911s in the 80s for the " cool " amber eurospec ones

last decade , what did Porsche offer for our US cars that now came standard with amber zones on the rear lenses : a $$ option for an ALL RED lense ! lol

if it were me in charge , the new option would allow color matching wheels and emblems to an alternate grill color ...that would be fun , like a white car with blue " PORSCHE " door decal , wheel centers, rear emblems and grill ... for a pseudo '73 Carrera RS vibe ....THAT would be cool ! But I am not in charge and their marketing folk aren't usually the enthusiasts nuts like us and would never even think of these opportunities that leave a lot of $$$ on the options table !
Old 09-30-2016, 12:26 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Porsche should go with flush handles like an Aston... I would pay for that.
Old 09-30-2016, 01:26 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
Porsche should go with flush handles like an Aston... I would pay for that.
The Tesla's flush handles look terrible though. Maybe it's the ugly chrome.
Old 09-30-2016, 01:33 PM
babyjocko
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dewinator
Evidently, that is subjective opinion. I think they look fantastic. They are functionally fantastic also -- fluent, aerodynamic, inviting.
Old 09-30-2016, 01:38 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,112 Likes on 669 Posts

Originally Posted by Dewinator
No, it's because they are attached to a Tesla.
Old 09-30-2016, 01:46 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Keadog
No, it's because they are attached to a Tesla.
this.

But - I would prefer in body color and not chrome. Spent a lot of money getting chrome accents replaces or painted on my last car...

Quick Reply: New options in configurator - thoughts on door handles?