Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer Arrogance - I just can't do business with Porsche these days

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2016 | 03:09 AM
purrybonker
Pro

Default Dealer Arrogance - I just can't do business with Porsche these days

I have a large circle of wealthy friends and we can (and generally do) buy anything that tweaks our interest.

Porsche is riding a wave - they are the most profitable car company (per unit basis) in the world and in many locations everything that hits the showroom floor is sold or spoken for.

All well and fine but...

We just cannot get courtesy out of any dealership within a 1000 mile radius. I have spec'd 991's, Turbo S's time and again and have forwarded those to dealer after dealer on an outward spiral from my home location.

Personally, all I get is dead air or lame emails and my friend's experience is embarrassingly similar.

A close friend walked into the showroom wanting to write a check for a new Turbo S after a major win on an investment. The salesman didn't bother to follow-up or contact him so a few months later he drove home in a new AMG.

I've actually had a salesman call me at 7 PM while I was hosting a dinner party and when I asked him to call back the next day he suggested that if I didn't have the time to talk I should call him back when I was serious.

I'm no punter - I've owned three new 911's in the past 15 years.

Nothing fails like success?

Personally, I've had enough. Part of the experience and justification for buying a premium product is the satisfaction of the purchase experience, including being made to feel that your business is valued and appreciated.

Porsche fails to deliver for me on this count and I will move on to other brands to see if the water feels any better.

Anyone else noticing a change in attitude from the Porsche shops these days?
Old 09-30-2016 | 03:25 AM
py0413
Racer

Pretty sure Porsche North America would love to have a little discussion regarding to your situation; especially, if you can provide them those sales persons names and the dealers they work for. ;-)
Old 09-30-2016 | 04:46 AM
jury_ca
Pro

The Porsche dealer network in North America is independent and not owned by Porsche. Porsche does have some control by setting guidelines for their franchisees to ensure a consistent and positive brand experience. If you are dissatisfied with your experience, you should provide customer feedback to the sales manager of the dealership in question and cc to Porsche Sales North America. That is the way problems get fixed in organizations.

There is also a good reason why you have to look at ALL the data rather than rely on anecdotal experience:

http://www.jdpower.com/ratings/study...NG/Luxury/1604
Old 09-30-2016 | 06:23 AM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

It's been just the opposite for me. I have been treated VERY well and I'm not a wealthy guy.
Old 09-30-2016 | 07:06 AM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

I hear you but it's like everything else in life. I think the most important thing you're looking for is an exceptional experience as opposed to getting the best price. That being said I would visit 2 of the closest dealerships to you, look around and observe. Observe the staff and speak with the service advisors, if you like what you see go to the sales manager and explain your experiences and what you're looking for. Ask him who he'd suggest take care of you and that you're willing to set-up time to came back if that person isn't immediately available.

I know you shouldn't have to do these things, but if you did you might be on your way to building a nice relationship. I've purchased 7 Porsche's from my local dealer - they treat me very well, but they also treat everyone well - hence the first part of my recommendation. The convenient thing is, when I'm ready for my next thing, I usually send an email and everything is smoothly set in motion.

Your time is valuable, but look at it from their side - there are a lot of tire kickers out there.
Old 09-30-2016 | 07:23 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

I suspect that many dealers get irritated by internet/email bargain hunters. Guys (like me) that will email dealers and make them compete against each other. (nothing wrong with that IMO). They probably put forth a lot of effort and get either no sale or little profit.

My last purchase, I forwarded emails from one dealer to competing dealers until I got the price I wanted. I felt bad but it worked.

Maybe that is why you are getting the blow off.
Old 09-30-2016 | 07:45 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by purrybonker
We just cannot get courtesy out of any dealership within a 1000 mile radius.... A close friend walked into the showroom wanting to write a check for a new Turbo S ...Personally, I've had enough.
This describes my experience with BMW dealerships. I apparently contract leprosy when I walk in.

I have a large circle of wealthy friends and we can (and generally do) buy anything that tweaks our interest.
On the flip side, you're reinforcing negative expectations in a feedback loop with your circle of friends. Perceptions may get warped. Your expectation of a negative experience may precede you. This is certainly true for me; I can't even walk into a BMW dealership anymore without projecting an aurora.
Old 09-30-2016 | 08:05 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

The dealerships are privately owned so the general attitude presented by the dealership is either that of the owner or if an absent owner than that of a too important GM.

The dealership I work with is not in this category. The owner of the Porsche dealer ship also owns a Maserati, McLaren, Audi and I believe one other dealership. Certainly money isn't his problem but he is a normal business man with a great staff that goes out of their way to help and provides great follow up after a purchase. I had the same experience in both NJ and NH when I lived in those locations.

It's really a shame when the people running and working at a dealership put their priorities and attitudes ahead of their customers.
Old 09-30-2016 | 08:56 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

I've interacted with half a dozen different Porsche dealers since 1991 and have never had a negative experience.
And I could not write a check for a Turbo S.
Old 09-30-2016 | 09:07 AM
STG
Race Director

More info to this story would be helpful

Last edited by STG; 09-30-2016 at 11:12 AM.
Old 09-30-2016 | 09:27 AM
captainkirk
Pro

My best suggestion to you is when you meet the sales/dealer teams go with a positive mindset. I went to three to four dealers in my area to pick which one I will do business with (when I am ready).

One was closed on Saturday which made no sense, 2nd one, one of the sales had no clue which 911 model I had asked question - if one works in Porsche, one should know 911 models, 3rd one - never approached me to say hi as I was with my friend (who is a Marine and at the moment sporting a huge beard and looks like a gladiator) - 4th one finally one which is Porsche of SilverSpring Maryland (Gonna do business with Casey P. for sure).

But lot of customers also waste time at this dealerships and creates a weird cycle for all parties. For example I have seen some people ask for ridiculous amounts of discounts when buying a $100K car - which makes no sense. If one is buying a 6 fig car, then why bargain like it is a Toyota Corolla. Everyone has bills to pay and one should be reasonable. Again this is a very complex discussion and few words do not suffice.

Don't get jaded, try again with a positive mindset before calling or visiting and see what happens.
Old 09-30-2016 | 09:39 AM
TAL2GK
Instructor

I was treated ok, so I can't claim hardship. But I also wasn't treated any better than I was at the Jeep dealer when I bought my Grand Cherokee a year earlier that costs a quarter of my C2S.

I also expected better from Porsche. And BMW when I was cross shopping M4s. Blame it on the lower end cars they sell in higher numbers, perhaps, but quality of service at all levels is one of many things the elevates a brand.
Old 09-30-2016 | 09:53 AM
NOSUB2T
Racer

If you are paying list price without negotiating then you are either wealthy or foolhardy. There is a nice margin on these cars and while I believe everyone deserves to make a fair living, there is no way I would leave negotiable money on the table.

OP- I understand where you are coming from. When you are spending 150k+ for a car the least you can expect is a little courtesy. I find that the pre-sale attitude is usual really great however, the post sale experience can be less so.
Old 09-30-2016 | 09:59 AM
crossroads
Rennlist Member

I live in Northwest Indiana 1/2 hour from Chicago and my experience has been quite different. I have gone to Napleton Westmont Porsche, Porsche Exchange, Rizza Porsche, and Isringhausen Porsche(Springfield) and they all seem to treat their customers well. I don't even like to give out my email address or cell phone number because they usually try to contact me sometimes weeks after.

However, I rarely if ever go to any dealerships in Chicago where my experiences have not been good. Those dealerships and salesmen are pretty cold probably because they have to deal with a lot more of the general public.

Sounds like Canadian dealerships have no competition. Too bad its such a pain to import cars to Canada and the exchange rate is not favorable.
Old 09-30-2016 | 10:24 AM
STG
Race Director

Like mentioned, reward those dealers with your $ that go over and above to earn your business.

There is plenty of competition among Porsche dealers out there in many parts of the county.

These days, you can even have a car shipped to your doorstep from anywhere in the US!

Quick Reply: Dealer Arrogance - I just can't do business with Porsche these days