Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer Arrogance - I just can't do business with Porsche these days

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2016 | 07:05 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Originally Posted by mb1
new 991.2 C4 this past spring. Called him and he was unable to give me any discount. Zero, nada. I called another dealer and was offered 3% off. Went back to the original guy. Still couldn't match it. I bought it from the new dealership. No hard feelings on either side. I wasn't insulted or offended. It's a business transaction and we were unable to come to an agreement. Neither of us is right or wrong. I still get invited to his Porsche events.
Very good points. Dealers get allocations, by model. Sometimes, no matter how good a customer you are, if they know they can sell to many people at MSRP or over or slightly under, and some other dealer is willing to sell to you at 5 under or whatever, "your" dealer will (legitimately in my opinion) keep his limited allocation for the sure thing MSRP buyer, rather than "waste" it on you at below MSRP.

Different story if he has all the product he can possibly sell, and moving one to you, even at only $100 profit, makes more sense than letting it sit on the floor.
Old 09-30-2016 | 08:09 PM
CamsPorsche
Rennlist Member

Funny story...

I bought a 14 991 Carrera and the dealership sent me a nice Porsche gift and a massively impressive bouquet of flowers (wife approved).

Friend just bought a Turbo S and received jack squat!

Inconsistent to the bone as each dealer is privately owned.
Old 09-30-2016 | 08:53 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Go have an experience with your local Ferrari dealer and chances are you will feel much better about the Porsche store : )
Old 09-30-2016 | 09:13 PM
shizzle
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by purrybonker
Anyone else noticing a change in attitude from the Porsche shops these days?
I'm pretty surprised. I've not done business with Porsche Van or Calgary, but i've never had a problem getting a hold of them and getting information on cars i've been looking to buy. Talk to the GM or the Manager of the dealership and let them know your experience, hopefully they'll correct their mistakes.
Old 09-30-2016 | 09:17 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rkwfxd
It's been just the opposite for me. I have been treated VERY well and I'm not a wealthy guy.
Same here. I really like my home town dealer.
Old 09-30-2016 | 09:42 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by captainkirk
One was closed on Saturday which made no sense, 2nd one, one of the sales had no clue which 911 model I had asked question - if one works in Porsche, one should know 911 models, 3rd one - never approached me to say hi as I was with my friend (who is a Marine and at the moment sporting a huge beard and looks like a gladiator) - 4th one finally one which is Porsche of SilverSpring Maryland (Gonna do business with Casey P. for sure).
It really bugs me when sales people don't know their products, regardless of what it is or how much it costs. That's their job... they should be professionals and know their stuff. But maybe that's just me.

Originally Posted by captainkirk
But lot of customers also waste time at this dealerships and creates a weird cycle for all parties. For example I have seen some people ask for ridiculous amounts of discounts when buying a $100K car - which makes no sense. If one is buying a 6 fig car, then why bargain like it is a Toyota Corolla. Everyone has bills to pay and one should be reasonable. Again this is a very complex discussion and few words do not suffice.
Waste time? Really? Making contact with people is their job. Why do you think they offer specials on service? Have release parties? Do other things to get you in the door. You're not wasting their time, you are increasing their chances of selling you a vehicle. Any sales person who considers contact with potential customers a waste of time will not last as a sales person for very long (I know this and I'm not even in sales!).

As for asking for discounts for $100K cars being ridiculous, how do you think we all got to the point we can even consider $100K cars? By not maximizing every deal (whether we are paying or selling) we make? No, we've gotten to this point by hard work, negotiating hard and making the most of every deal. There's nothing crass about negotiating as hard for a Porsche as for a Toyota. And if you can't make the deal, you don't get the product... and the dealer doesn't get the sale. But anyone who gets butt hurt about hard negotiating shouldn't be in sales, either. And, as a customer, if you don't get your price, you should either be willing to walk away or not be bent out of shape because you paid too much. If you agree to a price, you didn't pay too much... you just paid more than you wanted to!

Originally Posted by subshooter
I suspect that many dealers get irritated by internet/email bargain hunters. Guys (like me) that will email dealers and make them compete against each other. (nothing wrong with that IMO). They probably put forth a lot of effort and get either no sale or little profit.

My last purchase, I forwarded emails from one dealer to competing dealers until I got the price I wanted. I felt bad but it worked.

Maybe that is why you are getting the blow off.
In this day and age, internet bargain hunters are part of the business model. Dealers that get irritated by this segment need to reassess the current environment. I wonder how much of a dealer's business is done this way now? If not a lot, just don't participate and live on your showroom sales. But getting irritated? That's just dumb on their part!

Originally Posted by TAL2GK
I'm all for relationships, but my SA offered 1% and was willing to let me walk out the door at that price. It wasn't until I found another dealer that offered seven times that number before they were willing to match. I'm sure I could've squeezed another percentage or two if I played this game over and over, but I was just looking for a fair deal. I wasn't offered that until I had leverage.
For me, if someone makes me go find a better deal and then says they'll match it, that's not quite good enough any more... they have to beat it. Even if it's by 1%. If they could do that deal the first time around, but made me spend time getting the better deal, I expect them to beat it, not match it. But that's just me. Practicality plays into it, too, of course; service, distance and other factors make that not an absolute rule.

Different dealers, different cities all of them. I'm not the kind of guy who "builds relationships" with sales people - this is not standoffishness on my part, I just don't feel a need to become pals with a car sales person anymore than I would with the wait staff at my regular restaurant.
I agree, but... building a relationship with a dealer, overall, so that they'll go to bat for you on service/warranty is important and worth cultivating. Sales people usually do play into that relationship, so being friendly doesn't hurt anything, of course.

I wonder how many of the people saying they need to build a relationship do so with their local Walmart, Best Buy or grocery store managers and check out people?

These days sales staff seem to either completely fail to respond or miss providing the requested information. They obviously have good calendar reminder systems though.

I am not going to beg, plead or borrow (no pun intended) to buy a car.
I don't care how exclusive a product is, or appears to be, being subservient to get the privilege of buy a product is just wrong. I'm not going to stand in line, either.

Originally Posted by Gus_Smedstad
That doesn't seem particularly awful as you depicted your experience at the start of the thread. Yeah, that's irritating, but it's more a matter of that SA dropping the ball than "lack of courtesy." I've gotten what felt like active disrespect at a BMW dealership, for example, and that's what I was imagining when I read that.

I've been through that sort of experience myself, where the SA didn't seem responsive. Yet a couple of years later, when I came into the dealership looking to trade my Panamera for a 991, he remembered me and made a definite effort. He was quite happy to put me behind the wheel of three different cars for test drives, for example.

Sometimes it's just a one-off thing. Even if it's a consistent problem with that SA or that dealership, it's not something I'd hold against the brand as a whole.
I've had issues with getting calls returned. Spoke with the GM and wound up doing the rest of my deal with him, but also resolved the responsiveness issue with no hard feelings evident on either side.

For a sales person - especially with a $200K deal on the table - this is their job! Not making a simple call back? Seems like sales suicide, to me.

To the OP: I don't know the rules or laws, but can you come south of the border to buy? Our dealership here - just about an hour south of you - is pretty damned good. Not sure what kind of deal you could make, since they're not a high volume dealer, but they'll take care of you and get you the vehicle you want.
Old 09-30-2016 | 10:09 PM
NOSUB2T
Racer

Originally Posted by Grunty

It's hard not to grin when your ship has come in....
Lol!!! Best response
Old 10-01-2016 | 09:56 AM
KenTO
Burning Brakes

A lot depends on where you live. In Vancouver and Toronto right now you have a lot of foreign money pouring in, driving up real estate and demand for cars. In the last 8 years, home lots on my street have risen in price from $ 1 million to over $ 4 million (thanks China). The same people buying these properties (and their real estate agents) are fueling demand for high end cars. It's not uncommon to see an 18 year old driving his own Aventador or 488. All the high end dealers now employ Chinese speaking SAs. The demand is very high, therefore minimum or no discount, and if you don't buy now, someone else will.
Old 10-01-2016 | 11:40 AM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

I am currently waiting for my second Porsche to be built.

Before I went into the dealership, I did my DD an found a competitive price on the internet, then sent it to him and simply asked if that was a deal that he could do. We had a good starting point for negotiations.

My dealership is excellent. The salesman strikes the perfect balance of being responsive without being intrusive. He is extremely knowledgeable about the brand and explained many hidden features that are also important to me about the build quality. When asking for advice about options, he also brought in the head of service to give views and opinions.

The service department is brilliant.

My dealer is Porsche of Tysons, owned by Penske, and my sales rep is Pat Driscoll. They are truly 5 star.

Last edited by Dan Nagy; 10-01-2016 at 12:08 PM.
Old 10-01-2016 | 11:58 AM
MJK-PurpleRS
Instructor

In life we connect with certain people and disconnect with certain people. Keep trying you will find a connection that makes you feel good,and hopefully have fun during the process.
Old 10-01-2016 | 12:05 PM
LexVan
Banned

A close friend walked into the showroom wanting to write a check for a new Turbo S after a major win on an investment. The salesman didn't bother to follow-up or contact him so a few months later he drove home in a new AMG.
This tells me your wealthy friend wanted the Mercedes more than the 911. Nothing more. Nothing less. Wait till he sees the AMG depreciation.
Old 10-01-2016 | 12:13 PM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Very good points. Dealers get allocations, by model. Sometimes, no matter how good a customer you are, if they know they can sell to many people at MSRP or over or slightly under, and some other dealer is willing to sell to you at 5 under or whatever, "your" dealer will (legitimately in my opinion) keep his limited allocation for the sure thing MSRP buyer, rather than "waste" it on you at below MSRP.
Makes no sense to me when you consider dealer sales incentives from the manufacturer.
Old 10-01-2016 | 01:15 PM
Bradley Scott
Racer

That's an excellent point as are many of the other comments here.

Let me add more detail...

I was off in my math, its been 21 years - not 15.

Different dealers, different cities all of them. I'm not the kind of guy who "builds relationships" with sales people - this is not standoffishness on my part, I just don't feel a need to become pals with a car sales person anymore than I would with the wait staff at my regular restaurant.

I want to do a business transaction and move on. I generally know what I want to buy and when. In fact, to me - if there's relationship building needed it is for benefit of the salesman/dealership/brand - not for the customer.

In the past my Porsche transactions have worked Ok but over recent years it seems like sales people just don't care anymore.

These days sales staff seem to either completely fail to respond or miss providing the requested information. They obviously have good calendar reminder systems though.

Here's how my inquiries sort of go lately:

Me: hey, I'm interested in ordering a new car - but I want Euro delivery 'cause I'll be in Europe for 4 months next summer.

Sales person: Yeah, we can do Euro delivery but you have to write up a deal before we can start that process.

Me: fair enough but look, I won't buy the car without Euro delivery, it's a big part of the experience for me and I have this WIDE (repeat 4 month) window in Germany. Please speak to whether this is going to work out from your end.

Sales person: Dead air for a week or two.

Sales person: Did you decide to go ahead with that Turbo yet?

I am not going to beg, plead or borrow (no pun intended) to buy a car. I don't need a new car, I'm not going to be sold a new car. The sales person at a Porsche dealership can add no more value than replying comprehensively and on a timely basis.

They cannot possibly "sell" me a car but they sure as heck can make me not want to buy one.

Maybe I'm just getting old and crotchety... had to happen some day I suppose.
I manufacture and sell dresses to specialty shops in America and directly to ladies who want an added touch of custom work.

My friends call me judgmental at times for my strong opinions and stubborn rationale.

If you were a woman, I would dread even moment you were in my showroom.

There's a difference between being a tough negotiator and a snob.

You seem to be the latter.
Old 10-01-2016 | 02:44 PM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Some dealerships out here won't give you more than 1 or 2 percent max on anything but an old leftover. Why should they when the market is letting them sell everyone that way? Dealers are a for-profit business.
My exact experience when living in the SF Bay Area -- little to no discounts. In Southern California better deals are possible, based upon my latest 991.2 TT purchase experience. Truly surprised me as these models are in such high demand and allocations are scarce. I contacted three dealers via Costco Buying service, and I think True Car. Got responses right away offering 3 - 5.5% discount (back in May). No grinding / or any unpleasantness was necessary. My transaction was done via internet / email -- the only dealer I visited was Newport Beach, and they insisted upon MSRP -- very polite, nice people, as were all my Porsche contacts. Furthermore, Newport said there was no reason to discount, as they can sell all their cars at MSRP -- more power to them. But I'll drive 30 minutes further to save $10K -- and it should be in my driveway within the month -- on a ship right now in the Atlantic. My SA is exceptional -- very responsive, and pleasant. I still like Newport very much and plan to have my service done there. No hard feelings on either side.

My general experience with my treatment at Porsche dealers over many years is positive. I do dread negotiating with dealers, as its a waste of time as they saunter back and forth with their managers, just to play with your mind. Car buying services eliminate this hassle, and don't waste your time -- highly recommend. Most dealers I've encountered have a SA dedicated to internet sales -- maybe call them direct, or the Sales Manager, if you are not proficient with the internet.
Old 10-01-2016 | 05:56 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Default Sonnen rocks.

I have nothing but positive things to say about Brett Payne @ Sonnen Porsche in Mill Valley.

Professional, responsive, helpful, knowledgeable, and will negotiate a reasonable deal as well.

Once you have the car Gary Wright the SA there is simply the best.

I would not hesitate to highly recommend either of them.

- Larry

Quick Reply: Dealer Arrogance - I just can't do business with Porsche these days