Sponsored by:

Dealer Arrogance - I just can't do business with Porsche these days

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 03:34 PM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 34 Posts

Maybe the OP is a spokesperson for Miller High Life..

Old 09-30-2016, 03:34 PM
JoshuaKM1
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Haha I love the smell of mahogany ... but seriously ... there are plenty of good dealerships out there who will be glad to take 180-220k off of your hands. I ordered by car from Byers Porsche in Columbus ... they took great care of me ... I'm sure there must be solid dealerships in Canada.
Old 09-30-2016, 03:37 PM
KenTO
Burning Brakes

Received 553 Likes on 208 Posts

Among my group of wealthy wine guzzling, endangered animal eating friends...I am the only one hung like a horse.
Old 09-30-2016, 03:43 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

There are very solid dealerships in Canada. I have a great relationship with my SA and also get excellent service. I still paid FULL msrp (meaning zero discount). I did the deal and walked away with the exact car I wanted. I didn't want anything on the lot and I wasn't going to take anything less than my exact spec. I paid for what I got. I must say I miss the point about the wealthy friends. My SA didn't ask about my friends bank accounts or what type of watch they wear.
Old 09-30-2016, 04:02 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 262 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by stealthpilot
Your SA's initial offer is not relationship based selling. It's attempted rape.
Should be punishable by a medium-term prison sentence!

Folks keep forgetting the SUGGESTED in MSRP!

I'm quick to remind eager sales people that I, naturally, have quite a different suggestion!

Hustle people! Fist off, it's plain fun, and we all work hard for our money. Even if you're a fat cat, why not donate the savings to a charity?
Old 09-30-2016, 04:26 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,873 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by purrybonker
That's an excellent point as are many of the other comments here.

Let me add more detail...

I was off in my math, its been 21 years - not 15.

Different dealers, different cities all of them. I'm not the kind of guy who "builds relationships" with sales people - this is not standoffishness on my part, I just don't feel a need to become pals with a car sales person anymore than I would with the wait staff at my regular restaurant.

I want to do a business transaction and move on. I generally know what I want to buy and when. In fact, to me - if there's relationship building needed it is for benefit of the salesman/dealership/brand - not for the customer.

In the past my Porsche transactions have worked Ok but over recent years it seems like sales people just don't care anymore.
In one sentence you say you don't want a 'relationship' or to be 'pals' with your SA, but then a few sentences later you lament the fact that he doesn't 'care'.

If you're looking for a pure business relationship, which I totally get, the word care is irrelevant. The only thing the SA should care about is making money for his dealership. And under that presumption, what makes you think he doesn't have other options to sell that car easier and/or for more money than to you? I love when people bitch about not getting a discount from XYZ dealer, yet XYZ has no trouble selling the car. They're a business, in business to make money for their owners. And often times that requires acting in a way that doesn't make the high maintenance customer feel all warm and fuzzy and loved. Trust me, they could care less. It's not personal, just business. They'll sell the car to someone else.
Old 09-30-2016, 04:53 PM
77tony
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 118 Posts

Used to live in the Stamford/Greenwich area in CT and know exactly what you need-a purchasing agent ! No need waisting your own time schlepping down to area dealership(s) to be treated like that. I'll glady be mistreated for you and all this for a nominal fee. T
Old 09-30-2016, 05:20 PM
go.illini
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JoshuaKM1
Is this post for real?

I also have a large group of wealthy friends who are extremely well-read, love sipping fine wine, and hung like horses .... as well as a room lined with rich mahogany.
Bah. We just installed our deviated stitching Corinthian leather lined hot tub last week.
Old 09-30-2016, 05:37 PM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

It's hard not to grin when your ship has come in....
Old 09-30-2016, 05:40 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 698 Likes on 317 Posts

Old 09-30-2016, 06:00 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,410 Likes on 2,516 Posts

I have a small circle of close friends. I have no clue how much wealth they have.
Old 09-30-2016, 06:05 PM
TAL2GK
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bacura
There are very solid dealerships in Canada. I have a great relationship with my SA and also get excellent service. I still paid FULL msrp (meaning zero discount).
OK, but in fairness, you have a 50th. Surely they aren't getting full sticker, no dicker for a pedestrian C or CS.
Old 09-30-2016, 06:25 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by TAL2GK
OK, but in fairness, you have a 50th. Surely they aren't getting full sticker, no dicker for a pedestrian C or CS.
Some dealerships out here won't give you more than 1 or 2 percent max on anything but an old leftover. Why should they when the market is letting them sell everyone that way? Dealers are a for-profit business.
Old 09-30-2016, 06:25 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by LexVan
I have a small circle of close friends. I have no clue how much wealth they have.
Same here. Don't ask, don't tell.
Old 09-30-2016, 06:39 PM
mb1
Rennlist Member

Received 210 Likes on 126 Posts

I think that the OP's mistake is bringing emotions into the equation and therefore getting his feelings hurt. My experiences with multiple Chicagoland dealers has been excellent. I have a "relationship" with one SA, with whom I've dealt with for >10 years. Nice guy, straight-forward. In addition to a 997, I bought a Macan from him the week they came out. He arranged the deal from his cell phone on his day off because I needed the car that day. Less than 2 hours between the time I called him with my request and the time it was in my garage.
Fast-forward 18 months. I wanted a new 991.2 C4 this past spring. Called him and he was unable to give me any discount. Zero, nada. I called another dealer and was offered 3% off. Went back to the original guy. Still couldn't match it. I bought it from the new dealership. No hard feelings on either side. I wasn't insulted or offended. It's a business transaction and we were unable to come to an agreement. Neither of us is right or wrong. I still get invited to his Porsche events.

Quick Reply: Dealer Arrogance - I just can't do business with Porsche these days