Sponsored by:

Smart Canyon Driving

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 11:21 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by mattyf
Everybody wins. Maxima gets to go home thinking they can beat a 911, you get to go home losing, but proud because you had so much more to lose.
I wouldn't call donuts with my offspring losing!
Old 09-12-2016, 02:17 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

Good call!
Old 09-12-2016, 03:55 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by manitou202
I was probably driving a 8/10ths and staying in my lane (no other traffic was present), but he began cutting all the lanes and looked like his car was getting lose in the corners.
I never really thought about having liability for someone choosing to try and keep up/follow me if they are a total stranger who just latched on. Very interesting. If someone ties on to me now, I'll either slow way down to force the pass or even pull over to leave them to their own devices.

Wonder what happens if you're doing the limit on a twisty road and someone in a less capable car tries to keep up and crashes and then says they were trying to keep up? Do you have any liability? Are you required to stop and let the person go by to avoid it? Very interesting.... I would think that if you have no attachment to the person who has decided to race you (even if you were speeding), then you would have no liability for their crash. But in our legal system, that's probably wishful thinking, since no one is responsible for their own actions any more; all they'd have to say was I was trying to keep up with the Porsche and all of a sudden, responsibility shifts from their own judgement to yours.

As for driving US24 down Ute Pass and driving at 8/10th...? That's a wide 2 lane road in each direction, with the opposing lanes well separated, coming down into Manitou. For ANY Porsche - even the Cayenne - that's no more than 2/10ths the car's capability! And, sorry, but if you're driving at 8/10ths of your limit on that road, I'm not sure what to say about that. Those corners before Cave of the Winds aren't that difficult. Really sad that the Maxima was on his limit!
Old 09-13-2016, 09:35 AM
gbree
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

So I'm sure this will be a touchy subject. But I went for a donut run this morning with my son and we drove up the canyon behind my house. The canyon (US 24) is two lanes in both directions, has good visibility, good road conditions, and low traffic on a Sunday morning. It's a common route for fun driving in my area. The speed limit is only 45mph, but people regularly driving 60-65mph while only driving at 7-8/10ths. On the way back down the canyon I had a Nissan Maxima riding my *** before I hit the twisty section. I start driving at a good clip through the corners and the Nissan was keeping up with me. I was probably driving a 8/10ths and staying in my lane (no other traffic was present), but he began cutting all the lanes and looked like his car was getting lose in the corners. It suddenly hit me that I have no idea who this person is, how good of a driver they are, and if they were to wreck I don't want to be linked to a serious accident. Also if I were to come around a corner with a speed trap, if I was by myself I would obviously get a speeding ticket. But if the cop saw another car driving fast right behind me then I might get a ticket for racing and/or reckless driving. I decided to shut it down and slow back down to the speed limit to let this guy fly past me. So my question is would you guys have let another car have fun trying to keep up with you? Am I being too cautious by not letting this guy have fun? I know if I were 20 something again and had my GTI I probably would have tried to keep up with a 911 in the twisty's. But at the same time, if I'm driving by myself with no traffic, it's my own choice and I'm in control (relatively speaking). As soon as another car is involved, which I know nothing about, it makes me nervous that I can become tied to a messy situation if they decide to do something really dumb. I'm sure some people with criticize me for driving like this period, but although it was above the speed limit, I wasn't going anywhere near the limits of the car and I save more aggressive driving (9/10ths+) for the track. :flame suit on:
You're not driving 8/10ths, you just think you are
Old 09-13-2016, 09:52 AM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Everyone is avoiding the elephant in the room. So, how were the donuts? Do you know what I like better than donuts? Free donuts! Do you know what I like better than free donuts? Two free donuts!!
You know who the most impressive man is at the nude beach? The man who can carry two cups of coffee and a dozen donuts
Old 09-13-2016, 09:53 AM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by awrryan
keep racing to the track. Driving in a "spirited" is one thing, but after tracking my car, nothing else compares so I'm not even tempted to race or drive aggressively on the street no matter who's on my tail.
+1000
Old 09-13-2016, 09:58 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,407 Likes on 2,514 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabs1542
You know who the most impressive man is at the nude beach? The man who can carry two cups of coffee and a dozen donuts
That's funny!
Old 09-13-2016, 10:05 AM
Porscheforever
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So I'm sure this will be a touchy subject. But I went for a donut run this morning with my son and we drove up the canyon behind my house. The canyon (US 24) is two lanes in both directions, has good visibility, good road conditions, and low traffic on a Sunday morning. It's a common route for fun driving in my area. The speed limit is only 45mph, but people regularly driving 60-65mph while only driving at 7-8/10ths.

On the way back down the canyon I had a Nissan Maxima riding my *** before I hit the twisty section. I start driving at a good clip through the corners and the Nissan was keeping up with me. I was probably driving a 8/10ths and staying in my lane (no other traffic was present), but he began cutting all the lanes and looked like his car was getting lose in the corners. It suddenly hit me that I have no idea who this person is, how good of a driver they are, and if they were to wreck I don't want to be linked to a serious accident. Also if I were to come around a corner with a speed trap, if I was by myself I would obviously get a speeding ticket. But if the cop saw another car driving fast right behind me then I might get a ticket for racing and/or reckless driving.

I decided to shut it down and slow back down to the speed limit to let this guy fly past me. So my question is would you guys have let another car have fun trying to keep up with you? Am I being too cautious by not letting this guy have fun? I know if I were 20 something again and had my GTI I probably would have tried to keep up with a 911 in the twisty's. But at the same time, if I'm driving by myself with no traffic, it's my own choice and I'm in control (relatively speaking). As soon as another car is involved, which I know nothing about, it makes me nervous that I can become tied to a messy situation if they decide to do something really dumb. I'm sure some people with criticize me for driving like this period, but although it was above the speed limit, I wasn't going anywhere near the limits of the car and I save more aggressive driving (9/10ths+) for the track.

:flame suit on:
Excellent defensive driving. I wish all drivers are like you.

If you experience many incident like that, I suggest to get driving recorder installed, so you'll have it all on videos in case of accident or harrassment.
Old 09-13-2016, 10:21 AM
manitou202
Burning Brakes

Received 408 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Porscheforever
Excellent defensive driving. I wish all drivers are like you.

If you experience many incident like that, I suggest to get driving recorder installed, so you'll have it all on videos in case of accident or harrassment.
Thanks for the feedback. I've been driving that canyon for years and have never had an issue before with other drivers. I usually drive it during "off" hours so there is little to no traffic.

In regards to all the comments about the donuts, yes they were fantastic. Woodland Park Donut Mill. They only sell classic donuts that are about 5" in diameter.

Old 09-13-2016, 11:01 AM
handful
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by n2cars
I live in Colorado too. We probably have the best roads in the US for testing the abilities of the car. Your concerns are my concerns too. In the Denver area street racing is becoming a serious problem. I believe the police can confiscate your car. So yes, if the police stop you, you might get off with just a ticket. But you could get written up for street racing and then you better know a good lawyer. I've had two good friends end up in jail for excessive speeding. They were in the out skirts of Colorado and the only two cars on the road (except for the police). They were ticketed for 25 mph over the speed limit and spent the night in jail.

Off topic ... do you do the Incline in Manitou? My wife and I try to do it every week. We are waiting for it to reopen in December.
In Colorado, if you are caught road racing you will lose your license!
Old 09-13-2016, 01:14 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by awrryan
keep racing to the track.
Amen, brother. And when you get there, go even faster!
Old 09-13-2016, 05:22 PM
gyh
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm a big cyclist as well. Looking out for other cyclists on the mountain roads is a big concern of mine. Notice my license plate below.
Not to belabor the point, but as another (former Colorado) cyclist: THANK YOU!

Quick Reply: Smart Canyon Driving