PDK Reset

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2021, 04:51 PM
Chuck245
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack F
Which Autel unit do you have?
Did you got an answer about which model of Autel can successfully perform a PDK calibration? I'm also looking for a tool (Autel or any other non-PIWIS tool) to be able to recalibrate my Carrera S 2013 (991.1) PDK but I have not been successful getting a definitive answer about which tools work.
Old 04-12-2021, 05:43 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,068 Likes on 1,284 Posts

@Jack F , @Chuck245 - I have an MS906BT now. I used a friend's back in... september? and thought it was a pretty slick tool, so I picked one up instead of opting to drive 5 hours any time I wanted to use it. It does the PDK calibration under transmission control -> special functions, as well as a whole host of other crap.

You can look through the vehicle coverage across their various models at this link:
https://www.autel.com/vehicle-coverage/coverage2

And this is how your search form should look:

For example, looking at the MK808 (which is MaxiCom, not MaxiSys), the only transmission stuff is reading data. No commanding.

Basically, you're gonna be in it for the same price or more as a bootleg PIWIS. At least this way you'll be buying something with active development and support for more than a specific range of Porsches.
Old 04-12-2021, 05:47 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

@Chuck245 I notice you went through a few threads looking for the PDK calibration. What is the problem you're trying to solve? The calibration is for clutch disc thickness.
Old 04-12-2021, 07:12 PM
Chuck245
Rennlist Member

Thanks Asellus. This helps. Before to ask in the forum, I tried to figure out the functionality of the many Autel tools but there are so many that I gave up. I had a call with one of their customer support guy and he said that he will check if their tools can perform the PDK calibration, he took my phone number and email and said he will contact me in less than two days. This was mid-last week and I still waiting.

I also prefer an "official" tool with a company behind the tools to provide support. The Autel MaxyPro MP808 is ~$700 at Amazon right now so not so bad.

On the other hand, Foxwell states in their web site that the NT530 performs an impressive number of tests and special functions including the transmission "calibration (overall procedure)" and the price is significantly lower. Hence my interest on knowing if it actually can perform the calibration.
Old 04-12-2021, 07:28 PM
Chuck245
Rennlist Member

Thanks for asking Asellus.I hope I didn't broke any rule of the forum and apologize if I did but I couldn't find a s ingle thread that answers my question about a tool that can successfully perform the PDK calibration. Well other than PIWIS.

The reason why I want to do the calibration is because the gear switches are a bit rough. Nothing dramatic and I know that PDK's can be more rough than typical automatics. The car is now 40K miles and I'm owner number two. I got it at 24K. miles and I suspect that the prior owner drove the car mostly in busy traffic with a lot of stop/starts. I also have to deal with traffic so I would not be surprised if the clutch disks have some wear.

After replacing the PDK clutch fluid/filter and the gearbox/differential lubricant with no noticeable improvement of the "roughness", I plan to calibrate the PDK and see if it improves. After this, I'll give up and just live with it... But I welcome other suggestions.
Old 04-13-2021, 01:30 AM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Sounds like you're on the right track.

the MP808 I think is the cheapest autel setup that'll perform the reset command.
The following users liked this post:
Chuck245 (05-03-2021)
Old 04-23-2021, 01:04 PM
phi399
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

@asellus How long did it take for the car to settle in after the calibration. I drove it around and it is definitely shifting better. However, you can hear the clutch grinding on take-off or backing up. I figure it takes some time to settle in.
Old 04-23-2021, 01:11 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by phi399
@asellus How long did it take for the car to settle in after the calibration. I drove it around and it is definitely shifting better. However, you can hear the clutch grinding on take-off or backing up. I figure it takes some time to settle in.
1.5-2 hours at freeway speeds. It'd probably go a lot faster the car was actually shifted much.

My shifting was sluggish, as if the car was not yet at operating temperature, for almost the entire drive home from my buddy where I did this. When I say sluggish, I mean that commanding the shift was met with a (relatively) long delay before the shift was actually initiated. The shift itself was smooth and fast, as one would expect.

If I recall correctly, around 15 minutes away from my house the PDK started responding to commanded shifts without delay as it is supposed to.

My clutches did not make any grinding noises on takeoff/reverse at any point after the calibration. I do currently have a very light rattle from the clutches when in gear with my foot on the brake at a full stop when the car is at full operating temperature. The rattle goes away when shifting to neutral or park. I happened to notice it when going in for service on an unrelated item and mentioned it to my SA -- he said it isn't anything to worry about.
Chuck245 (05-03-2021)
Old 04-23-2021, 01:18 PM
phi399
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks. I will go for a long drive and see how it responds. I had a slight clutch grinding sound in reverse before the procedure. If it stays around, I will just take it in. Might be a bigger problem.
Old 05-03-2021, 07:31 PM
Chuck245
Rennlist Member

OK, after looking at a bunch of tools, it seems that there is a new one every month. Very dynamic market looks like.

As right now I only have an immediate need, I decided to get a Foxwell NT530 and wait that things settle a little bit in regards of these tools. The reasoning is that the Foxwell only costed me ~$150 and should allow me to do the PDK calibration. This buys me time. Note that the NT530 seems to do a bunch of other functions so I'll test them around if/when I have time.

I just did the PDK calibration last week. No issue. Just need to make sure that pre-test conditions listed on the screen are met before to start the calibration procedure. In particular the temperatures for both the engine and PDK. The PDK temperature ramped up slower than the engine coolant/oil ones so I checked with the NT530 from the Transmission component and Temperatures fields. A lot of grinding and "clonk" noises during the calibration but from what others have reported in this forum, it's normal.

After the calibration procedure, it took a few days of traffic drive before the clutches "settle" but the gears switches up and down are now a lot smoother. Looks like the calibration did the trick at least for my car.
asellus (05-03-2021)
Old 07-15-2022, 01:00 PM
RP4S911
Pro

Received 579 Likes on 292 Posts

Can anyone confirm if this can be done from a cold start?
Old 07-15-2022, 01:58 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RP4S911
Can anyone confirm if this can be done from a cold start?
"this" being?

The actual PDK clutch relearn process requires a specific temperature range and any tool that can fire this process off should confirm these parameters.

The song and dance procedure in the first post doesn't actually do anything.

Quick Reply: PDK Reset