IDDQD
IDKFA
IDCLIP
Old 07-04-2018, 01:01 PM
HeffRaleigh
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by voiceprint1
step 1.4 what does transmission range engaged mean?
Essentially, just put the shifter in Drive. When you blip the throttle be sure you have your left foot firmly planted on the brake. :-)
Old 07-04-2018, 01:07 PM
HeffRaleigh
5th Gear

Originally Posted by bmxtreme
I was looking for a reset procedure in this forum but couldn't find one. I found one in the Macan forum and it seems to work. I have this weird issue from Stop->Go where the engine RPM would drop a hundred RPM after I lift my foot off the brake. I don't exactly know why but the 1st gear shift felt weird.

Did the reset and now it's back to normal and I haven't felt the RPM drop on brake let go anymore.

1. Start engine, turn off AC/PCM/Lights and wait 3 minutes
2. Turn on AC (no need max), but make sure AC is on (you feel the cold), wait 3 minutes
3. Stop engine, get out of car, shut the door, wait 1 minute.
4. Get in car, start engine, PDK seems to have reset.

The steps sounds like snake oil, but apparently work.
I just purchased a 991.1 - 2013 4S with PDK and only 19k on the speedo.

One thing I noticed is an occasional desire for the car to need to figure out what it wants to do when launch from a stop in normal driving mode, usually when launching to the left or right. It’s a very disconcerting feeling and could even be dangerous.

After some research I decided that my car’s original owner must not have trained the PDK right (right for me at least). So...I decided to try resetting it so I could teach it a few tricks of my own.

This procedure seemed to work at first but then the behavior presented itself after a day. On to the next method described below - the “official” method.

I literally just tried that method now but can’t head out to do some training until tomorrow. Stay tuned for results which will be posted in the comments for the “official” post.

Last edited by HeffRaleigh; 07-05-2018 at 01:41 PM.
Old 07-04-2018, 02:51 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,116 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by HeffRaleigh

I just purchased a 991.1 - 2013 4S with PDK and only 19k on the speedo.

One thing I noticed is an occasional desire for the care to need to figure out what it wants to do when launch from a stop in normal driving mode, usually when launching to the left or right. It’s a very disconcerting feeling and could even be dangerous.

After some research I decided that my car’s original owner must not have trained the PDK right (right for me at least). So...I decided to try resetting it so I could teach it a few tricks of my own.

This procedure seemed to work at first but then the behavior presented itself after a day. On to the next method described below - the “official” method.

I literally just tried that method now but can’t head out to do some training until tomorrow. Stay tuned for results which will be posted in the comments for the “official” post.

Inquiring minds want to know
Old 07-05-2018, 01:26 PM
vodkag
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by dmk2
Up up down down left right left right select start
Contra LOL!
The following users liked this post:
uphoto (04-12-2021)
Old 07-05-2018, 01:39 PM
HeffRaleigh
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Inquiring minds want to know
I finally got out and about this morning. The reset seemed to work. With some spirited driving the pause at launch from a dead stop felt like it was gone. I’ll be out again tomorrow morning and will report back. Fingers crossed this did the job as it felt really nice in non-sport modes getting a good clean launch from stop.
Old 07-05-2018, 02:49 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,116 Likes on 666 Posts

Old 07-06-2018, 05:47 PM
amet
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by HeffRaleigh

I finally got out and about this morning. The reset seemed to work. With some spirited driving the pause at launch from a dead stop felt like it was gone. I’ll be out again tomorrow morning and will report back. Fingers crossed this did the job as it felt really nice in non-sport modes getting a good clean launch from stop.
I dont get what I should do after step 1.4, ignition off and then wait for run-on to finish? since it worked for you, mind sharing how you did that last bit please
Old 10-12-2018, 08:04 PM
HeffRaleigh
5th Gear

Hey all! Quick update on this issue with my 991.1 4S's hesitation on acceleration from a stop.

The reset procedure only worked for a week or so. I decided to push this with my dealer since the car is CPO and has 2 years warranty.

They dug into it and found that a recommended service was not completed. As I understand it, this problem has to do with the crankshaft sensor not sensing the speed of the crankshaft properly.

The fix....put in a spacer and re-calibrate. Seems to have done the job (and .3 liter of trans oil...it was low but no leak). See attached for details on part number

I hope this helps some of you out there that still have a pause on launch issue with your 991.1 PDK cars.

Old 10-14-2020, 08:58 PM
Migx27
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

2 year old thread but had to post. Bought last year
a 991.2 turbo s. Felt sluggish and heavy at slow speed
did the refresh and holy cow. This is another car right now.
dont know if its a placebo effect or if its real but wow!!!
the first owner had to be driving this car like driving miss daisy!!!
Old 12-05-2020, 09:23 PM
aways
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by bmxtreme
I was looking for a reset procedure in this forum but couldn't find one. I found one in the Macan forum and it seems to work. I have this weird issue from Stop->Go where the engine RPM would drop a hundred RPM after I lift my foot off the brake. I don't exactly know why but the 1st gear shift felt weird.

Did the reset and now it's back to normal and I haven't felt the RPM drop on brake let go anymore.

1. Start engine, turn off AC/PCM/Lights and wait 3 minutes
2. Turn on AC (no need max), but make sure AC is on (you feel the cold), wait 3 minutes
3. Stop engine, get out of car, shut the door, wait 1 minute.
4. Get in car, start engine, PDK seems to have reset.

The steps sounds like snake oil, but apparently work.
I thought my PDK shifted pretty smoothly, but tried this anyway, and WOW, this really does work. The procedure must send a signal to the PDK to make fine adjustments for clutch wear, or something...
Old 12-05-2020, 10:14 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,431 Posts

Originally Posted by aways
I thought my PDK shifted pretty smoothly, but tried this anyway, and WOW, this really does work. The procedure must send a signal to the PDK to make fine adjustments for clutch wear, or something...
When you turned car off did you turn the AC off?
Old 12-05-2020, 10:25 PM
aways
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
When you turned car off did you turn the AC off?
No. I just turned the car off, got out and shut the door... walked away for a minute, came back and turned the key to "on" and then shut the AC off before starting the car.

I didn't take the key fab out of the ignition, and I didn't lock the door after I got out and walked away... so apparently those things don't matter.

Before doing the procedure, I shut off the AC, the fan, the PCM unit, and the auto headlights.
Old 12-06-2020, 12:15 AM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,891 Likes on 1,174 Posts

Was chasing down some lethargic PDK concerns a while back and tried this process multiple times. There were absolutely no detectable changes on my .2 4S, and while it's possible that I somehow didn't turn the car off and on properly, I don't think anything meaningful was reset, nor was any placebo effect enjoyed. YMMV.

I ended up finally issuing a recalibration command to my PDK (using an Autel unit, but PIWIS and similar can do it too!), and let me tell you, it's a whole lot more involved than anything ever mentioned in the threads with this little song and dance procedure. It takes something like 30 minutes, has multiple stages, turns the cooling fans up front to max speed, and physically moves various parts within the transmission which you can both hear and feel.

I ran this by my SA who spoke with his techs. Both they and I suspect this procedure, if it does anything at all on a 911, is removing learned driving habits. The same can be done by just driving your car for a while, as it will slowly learn how you drive. Removing this data will just revert the TCM to standard shift points and shift speeds (for a given throttle, gear, temperature, etc... these are complex systems, after all).

If anyone has any real evidence of this procedure changing something on their car, PLEASE post it! I'd love to see it.
The following users liked this post:
9ONCE (04-01-2021)
Old 03-30-2021, 11:51 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 710 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by asellus
Was chasing down some lethargic PDK concerns a while back and tried this process multiple times. There were absolutely no detectable changes on my .2 4S, and while it's possible that I somehow didn't turn the car off and on properly, I don't think anything meaningful was reset, nor was any placebo effect enjoyed. YMMV.

I ended up finally issuing a recalibration command to my PDK (using an Autel unit, but PIWIS and similar can do it too!), and let me tell you, it's a whole lot more involved than anything ever mentioned in the threads with this little song and dance procedure. It takes something like 30 minutes, has multiple stages, turns the cooling fans up front to max speed, and physically moves various parts within the transmission which you can both hear and feel.

I ran this by my SA who spoke with his techs. Both they and I suspect this procedure, if it does anything at all on a 911, is removing learned driving habits. The same can be done by just driving your car for a while, as it will slowly learn how you drive. Removing this data will just revert the TCM to standard shift points and shift speeds (for a given throttle, gear, temperature, etc... these are complex systems, after all).

If anyone has any real evidence of this procedure changing something on their car, PLEASE post it! I'd love to see it.
Which Autel unit do you have?

Quick Reply: PDK Reset