Sponsored by:

Convertible top wear

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2020, 11:51 PM
RYE
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by HD2pct
Wow. A sane answer that does not involve lawsuits! Give this man a cigar.
All set! ​​​​​​​

Old 06-05-2020, 11:51 PM
SFOJAM
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Wear? Screw it.
It's just so damn fun driving with a top down.
I'll replace it and or upgrade if I need to.
The following 2 users liked this post by SFOJAM:
bb964 (06-06-2020), Porsche911GTS'16 (06-06-2020)
Old 06-06-2020, 12:03 AM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Porsche will never reimburse or settle. Other makes even have worse wear.

997s look pretty bad too and nothing doing there.

Drives me nuts, particularly when the rest of the car looks damn near perfect.

Last edited by cvtbenhogan; 06-06-2020 at 12:36 AM.
Old 06-06-2020, 10:28 PM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 555 Likes on 335 Posts

Wear is common on drop tops, between the elements and the open and closing, it all wears on the fabric. Owned a convertible once and didn't want a repeat

When shopping for my purchase, I saw wear on the used convertibles for sale at the Porsche dealer. It's the price of looking good with the top down.
The following users liked this post:
Gonzalo38 (06-07-2020)
Old 06-07-2020, 08:17 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by BSO
Wear is common on drop tops, between the elements and the open and closing, it all wears on the fabric. Owned a convertible once and didn't want a repeat

When shopping for my purchase, I saw wear on the used convertibles for sale at the Porsche dealer. It's the price of looking good with the top down.
The price also includes looking up.
The following users liked this post:
Larson E. Rapp (08-18-2024)
Old 06-07-2020, 07:33 PM
9114SCV
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes, creasing is a normal part of life with a convertible top. I've owned other convertibles - Jaguar XKR; Jaguar XK8; BMW 325; Mercedes S63 and none of those wore as bad as my 991.1 C4S (see pic). I even showed pics of my top to a few service managers at Porsche in Stuttgart. They took me to their parking deck to look at the tops of 7 convertibles close to my age and they all agreed that none looked as bad as my top. When exhausting all other remedies through the dealer and Porsche North America Customer Service, sometimes the only other avenue left is a lawsuit. And I would be quite surprised if Porsche didn't resolve such a lawsuit quietly (and with confidentiality agreements attached). It literally could cost them $100k+ to defend several such suits.

I'm in if anyone else is in. We could start looking for a class-action atty to take this on a contingency.

Old 06-08-2020, 12:34 AM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 555 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary JR
The price also includes looking up.
Looking up is nice but if you look down and see the wear on 911S4CV's top, not a cheerful sight.

Hope he gets relief of some kind..
Old 06-08-2020, 08:31 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by BSO
Looking up is nice but if you look down and see the wear on 911S4CV's top, not a cheerful sight.

Hope he gets relief of some kind..
My top was treated and still looks new. You got the looking up is nice part right.
Old 06-08-2020, 07:22 PM
HkPlinker
Three Wheelin'

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by RYE
Must be disappointing. The black is much more faded than my 2012.5. How often is it parked in the sun?

RYE,
Nice CAB !

Old 06-09-2020, 04:50 PM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Received 4,355 Likes on 1,526 Posts

Cost of a new top : $ 6,000
Cost to hire an attorney and go after Porsche $ 20,000 to start, for a cosmetic issue. Before you're done, $ 100,000. You will probably lose.

Time to get real. Get a Mercedes SL65 with a retractable hardtop, or BMW M4 Convertible, they will stay pretty. Or get a Targa.

If I have to throw $ 6K at the car for a top every 7 or 8 years, I'm good with that.
Old 06-10-2020, 04:41 PM
fuddman
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
Time to get real. Get a ... BMW M4 Convertible, they will stay pretty. .
No workee

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...le-2021-spied/

Another small thing BMW knows how to do better than Porsche. Might actually have a usable back seat!
Old 06-11-2020, 08:44 AM
myred63
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So here I am. New to Forum, but not to Porsche..
I have own 6 Porsche cars , but this is my first used Porsche... all the others were new.
I am now retired and wanted a nice fun car...simple base 911 Cab
Does have Sport Plus , Bose and 20 inch factory wheels.
I had owned the car for 1 day. 2016 911 Cabrio... 40 K miles.
I picked car up on a Saturday and when I got home i noticed the frayed seam , similar to a few of pictures in this post.
So i joined forum and started researching.. i also found out that since I bought car from a Land Rover / Jag Dealer , I would
not get the CPO passed on. I then saw that due to the COVID19 my factory warranty was being extended by 3 months.
I checked the carfax and saw that I might have ONE DAY OF FACTORY WARRANTY LEFT!
I brought my car into the local dealer...( where this had been sold previously as a CPO and serviced there) Porsche of West Broward.
He agreed... ( after checking out and going to corporate) they grandfathered my car... i has factory warranty until i drive it out of service center.
Now to the point ...He gave the standard “normal wear and tear” response and i also had a door panel that looked a little strange right by were window
goes under rubber seal..same wear and tear...
I told him that i understood Porsche’s position, but that with this response they would not have to cover anything under warranty
I did tell him that I would have a hard time simply accepting that response and walking away.
I told him to have someone check my history so they could see I was a longtime customer.
He said he would write it up, and called me the next day to say Top and Door Panel were approved.
FYI ...I also pointed out the fade paint on calipers... no luck there, but 2 out 3 ain’t bad!
Old 06-11-2020, 09:08 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Originally Posted by myred63
He said he would write it up, and called me the next day to say Top and Door Panel were approved.
FYI ...I also pointed out the fade paint on calipers... no luck there, but 2 out 3 ain’t bad!
That's great news! Congrats on the news & new car. Welcome to Rennlist.
Old 06-11-2020, 03:14 PM
bocajef
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same exact stitching problem on my 2012 991 (purchased new). While under warranty I showed this problem (not fully coming apart yet) to my dealer. Same answer, "normal wear and tear". I had to use some super glue to stop the stitching from unraveling. Otherwise, the top seems okay, but will be my last cabriolet. I've owned several Porsche's over the years; sure they're fun to drive, but quality from vendors lacks. Many irritating things don't last. Cheap plastic through-out is a huge problem. The 911 is a cash cow, so Porsche is not inclined to acknowledge problems or repair. What troubles me are those parts and sensors that continuously go bad, and they just keep using the same items in their latest cars. Such as: sunvisors with a vanity mirror lid that always falls off, trim through-out the interior and exterior. Windshield components that fall off and many more. BTW: same basic issues with my Macan S.
Old 06-11-2020, 03:20 PM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Received 4,355 Likes on 1,526 Posts

Originally Posted by bocajef
Same exact stitching problem on my 2012 991 (purchased new). While under warranty I showed this problem (not fully coming apart yet) to my dealer. Same answer, "normal wear and tear". I had to use some super glue to stop the stitching from unraveling. Otherwise, the top seems okay, but will be my last cabriolet. I've owned several Porsche's over the years; sure they're fun to drive, but quality from vendors lacks. Many irritating things don't last. Cheap plastic through-out is a huge problem. The 911 is a cash cow, so Porsche is not inclined to acknowledge problems or repair. What troubles me are those parts and sensors that continuously go bad, and they just keep using the same items in their latest cars. Such as: sunvisors with a vanity mirror lid that always falls off, trim through-out the interior and exterior. Windshield components that fall off and many more. BTW: same basic issues with my Macan S.
That's too bad, you should have escalated your warranty claim. I had unraveling stitch on my 2014 top and it was replaced under warranty after I went up the chain of command to higher levels. Here's what mine looked like before the replacement

Quick Reply: Convertible top wear