Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convertible top wear

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2019, 09:12 AM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,150 Likes on 630 Posts

Raggtop once a year. Foam cannon with Si2 based foam and electric pressure washer. 2012.5 and mine looks mint.
Old 05-27-2019, 09:41 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,447 Likes on 2,357 Posts

I live in FL and use 303 Fabric Protectant and if I lived on the face of the sun I would have a drop top - there is no substitute.
Old 05-27-2019, 09:55 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,337 Likes on 753 Posts

I had 2 previous cabs at over 5 years old and never saw this type of wear. Was the car garaged?
Have you tried speaking with PCNA or having your dealer speak with them. That is terrible wear for a 5 year old car.
Old 05-27-2019, 04:54 PM
aCayenneFan
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by BSO
Sorry to see that happen, but with any convertible top, particularly if you put it down (of course you have to put it up and down to enjoy!), it becomes a wear item. An expensive one.

If the car is in good shape and you plan to keep it, I would replace the top, as replacing the car would be more money.

I had a convertible years back and it was blast but the tops do discolor and wear. I ordered my 991.2 as a hardtop, not even a sunroof, because I am driving it every day and here in Florida, as in California, the sun just eats stuff up. Less stuff to wear and tear.

Good luck.
Depending on where you live in CA, there could be another factor at work - industrial pollution. That can make for even shorter lifespan of cabriolet tops.
Old 05-27-2019, 05:02 PM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Hopefully anyone wanting a cab has plans for it being garage kept.
Old 08-16-2019, 04:34 PM
stevekish1
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Porsche Cabriolet Wear & Tear Problens

Originally Posted by 9114SCV
I have now checked with 2 dealers (including Park Place where I bought the car and who I really respect their opinions) plus 1 non-dealer Porsche repair shop. All 3 have told me the same thing - normal wear and tear. This is very disappointing for a $150,000 car that is only 3 yrs old.
I have a 2017 GT Silver 4S Cab. As with others on this site, I have experienced the premature wear and creased top issue. I put in a warranty claim, which was denied because I had “too many miles and the car is too old”. The miles are $19K and it is 3 years old and still under factory warranty. That was a pretty lame excuse!!
My service manager then appealed to the area service rep, who also denied the claim following the wear & tear ‘party line’. The body of my car is pristine. It had paint correction, Ceramic coating and a full Expel clear bra on the front end and sides. It looks like a 21 year old beauty with Trump hair!! Frankly I’m Embarrassed driving the car with the top up in day light. It looks simply horrible with the wear and tear on the top. Marks, lines, crevices, indentations; you name it.
I appealed to Porsche Customer Relations. After analysis and reviewing the pictures I sent to them, they said normal wear and tear.
When you purchase a cabriolet, it is expected that you will be putting the top up and down. Doing so should not damage the top! When you fold the top into the back compartment, it should NOT rub and damage the fabric. The wear and tear is caused by a poor design that allows to top fabric to rub on a hard surface. Porsche’s mechanism allowing the fabric to rub on a hard surface causes the wear NOT the operator of the top. Yes it is wear and tear, but caused by Porsche faulty design. I owned a Boxster 6 years. When I traded it after over 6 years the grey top was like new. No creases, fold marks, or blemishes.i kept the top down most of the summer. That mechanism was perfect for keeping the top from wear and tear
I am turning 73. I have owned cabs since I was 16. From VW to Corvair Monza to Mazda RX7 to 3 BMWs to the Boxster. None looks anything but pristine. .
How shocking to have my dream car become my worst nightmare. Everything but the top is amazing. I wet it with a hose before I drive it to hide the distress marks! I rarely put the top down for fear of making g the top look worse.
I am seriously pissed that Porsche lacks the integrity to honor their warranty, nor the intelligence to fix the problem it created. Just a soft lining over the hard surface the top rubs on is a start. With all its engineers you’d think they would have have addressed this issue!!
if you replace the top for over $8 grand, the problem will only reoccur.
Plain & simple, it would cost Porsche a lot of cash to replace our tops. It’s all about $, not integrity. They are tarnishing their brand image and name. Would any of you buy a Porsche Cab again? Not me. They are dishonorable and dishonest. They should step up and pay for their mistake.
Anyone interested in joining a class action lawsuit in this regard, please contact me. I personally am not going to let Porsche get away with their fraudulent warranty denials based upon false pretense. It is a sham.

Last edited by stevekish1; 08-16-2019 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Adding picture
Old 08-16-2019, 04:43 PM
rockrdude
Burning Brakes

Received 379 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
How can there be wear on a Targa's top when it never folds or rubs on anything?
there are already marks on my targa top 3500km...
Old 08-16-2019, 04:44 PM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Was it Ceramic Pro and did you get their convertible top treatment?
Old 08-16-2019, 04:51 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

I had my Targa top treated as soon as I got the car and it looks like new albeit it is not even a year old, and it has a much smaller surface area. I will say that no all Cab owners have experienced the same problems as stevekish1. By the way, welcome to the forum and too bad your 1st post was not an intro vice a bitch. Anyway, search this forum on the same topic and you will see what I mean.
Old 08-16-2019, 05:18 PM
9114SCV
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Stevekish1, I'd definitely be interested. I got the exact same run around and answers from Porsche North America. Funny, when I talked to people in person at the factory in Stuttgart and showed them pics on my phone, they said that should not happen (and we even walked through their garage and looked at 2013 + 14 cabs, none of which have the wear you and I have. Unfortunately, they said they couldn't do anything and Porsche N.A. is the sole answer.
The following users liked this post:
stevekish1 (08-16-2019)
Old 08-16-2019, 07:10 PM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,192 Likes on 574 Posts

Wow - hard to believe there is such a variety of experiences with this. My faulty cab top (the seam was splitting open) was replaced by Porsche South Bay (Los Angeles), no questions asked. I probably had 20-30,000 miles on the car at the time and it was still within warranty. I am sorry to hear that not everyone's experience has been as smooth. One would think that this would be pretty cut and dry, not dealership dependent. Hell, I did not even buy the car from South Bay (I bought it at DTLA) but I use South Bay for my service needs because it is closer to my house.
The following users liked this post:
stevekish1 (08-24-2019)
Old 08-16-2019, 07:13 PM
stevekish1
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Introduction

I had my Targa top treated as soon as I got the car and it looks like new albeit it is not even a year old, and it has a much smaller surface area. I will say that no all Cab owners have experienced the same problems as stevekish1. By the way, welcome to the forum and too bad your 1st post was not an intro vice a bitch. Anyway, search this forum on the same topic and you will see what I mean.
Sorry that I did not introduce myself to the members of this forum. My sincere apology.
I stumble onto this site doing a Google search to see whether others have line problems with their 991 Cab tops.
I live in Philadelphia, Pa. I am retired for 3 years from Temple University where I worked for 26 years. I served as Director of the Office of Legal Affairs and Contract Management for the School of Medicine & Tenple University Physicians. I supervised a Paralegal & an Attorney.
I am married and have two big dogs. We’ve always had 2 or 3 big dogs.
I’ve always loved sports cars. I’ve owned many from a 1974 BMW 2002 tii to a 2006 Porsche Guards Red Boxster. Many BMWs over the years, the last being a Cobb stage 1+ tuned 2009 Z4 si twin turbo.
My daily driver is a 2015 Audi S5 APR Stage 2 rare manual in Daytona Grey with an AWE exhaust. It has 480 HP and is a blast to drive.
I am glad to be a member of a group of Porsche enthusiasts. I plan to keep my 911!along tine. After the warranty is up I plan to do a stagec1 Cobb tune.
Well thanks for the opportunity to join your group!

My daily driver.

Old 08-16-2019, 08:07 PM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

How big big dogs?
Old 08-16-2019, 08:11 PM
rockrdude
Burning Brakes

Received 379 Likes on 213 Posts

I have never heard of anyone complaining about their Targa's top and not that long ago I was reading a thread here where someone asked if there were any problem with the mechanism and no one reported any problems...some had over 40k miles on their cars and I am sure they would have mentioned problems with the fabric if they had any.
Here is a pic of my targa top after 3500km, you can see there are pressure marks on the front part, its on both sides. Top is treated.

Old 08-16-2019, 08:14 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

There is always an exception! Can I interest you in a lint brush?

And welcome Steve, sorry to hear about your top but have faith (in something) and start reading threads in your spare time...lots of useful information here and a few chuckles (and cringes) from time to time.

Quick Reply: Convertible top wear