pdk transmission replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 11:33 PM
aljus
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default pdk transmission replacement

Hello everyone ;

I got my, 2012 991 c2, back from the dealer a few days ago with the new transmission in it . it is running really good and now I can tell you the whole story. I was driving it on the highway and all of a sudden the car seemed to be loosing power. After about 30 seconds the yellow transmission warning light came on the screen indicating " Transm. fault poss. no R gear drive on poss. " and the number 2 in the gear indicator was flashing

I decided to head back home ( about 20 mins. away) on a low engine power . When I got inside my garage I turned the car off waited a minute and turned it back on . It started with the same low power (the engine sounds damped ) and it would not rev up as I pushed on the gas......I got the same transmission warning message plus a second warning message indicating "Fault engine control possible to drive on ". Thats when I stopped trying and thought about which dealership I should call the next day. (there are 2 of them close to where I live).

Side note : The car is 2 months and 1 week out of warranty period .

Next day I call one of them and tell them about the problem . He (S.A.) checks the vin and immediately tells me sorry the car is out of warranty , porsche will not pay for it.....I thought to myself " stfu , I will take care of that myself " . I calmly tried to tell him that maybe you should call them first and see what they say about it....No, he was adamant about them not covering it . At that point I did not feel like arguing with him since it would have turned very ugly very quickly . so I try the other dealership .

He was very courteous and considerate . He even told me that he will try porsche to see if they would cover it. I call porsche myself and after a long discussion they just agreed to send a tow truck over to pick up the car.... (good first step)

The car goes in the shop and after a couple days of testing they think it is the pdk control unit . They get the part , put it in and pdk doesn't work.. in the meantime I am discussing/negotiating with Porsche about them covering it.

The next day S.A. informs me that they need to replace the whole transmission but first they have to get authorization from porsche .

SIDE NOTE : For those of you who were so impatient to know what happened , This was why I did not want to talk in more details regarding this case as I did not want to jeopardize my discussion/ negotiation with porsche .

To make a long story short, Porsche eventually agreed to warranty ALL the work the car was repaired a few days later and retuned . ( THANK YOU PCNA )

Side note Again: They not only washed the car and made it dirtier than when they picked it up , the idiot driver who brought the car back spilled his coffee on the gear shift the seat and the carpet and did not say a word about it and I noticed that after he had left . So I had to call the S.A. and he offered to pay for an interior cleaning. Fine what ever....

Symptoms pre-breakdown : There really wasn't anything out of the ordinary before the problem. The only thing that I had noticed was that every so often the old trans. would make a " mild clunk noise " when I would come to a stop or when I would put the gear in reverse . No other signs.

Okay , I hope you ladies and gents. are satisfied with my explanation of this case... Any questions about the case , please ask...Thanks to all the ones who were courteous and gave me whatever advice they could .

P.S. : I will not post my negotiations/ discussion with Porsche publicly. However I will talk about it to certain people if they would PM me ( They know who they are ).
Old 09-01-2016, 11:37 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks for the update. How many miles were on the car when this happened?
Old 09-01-2016, 11:39 PM
aljus
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

about 36k....
Old 09-01-2016, 11:42 PM
no401k
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

wow.....
that's an super expensive repair if outside warranty
Old 09-01-2016, 11:43 PM
no401k
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by aljus
about 36k....
that's not high mileage on a 2012 at all...
Old 09-02-2016, 12:07 AM
I am the Walrus
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

That's healthy mileage for a 2012 imho
Glad you got it sorted to your satisfaction :-)
I recall your original thread with regards to limited info, smart choice
Ennnnjoy!
And also, thanks for the update, always nice to find the answer to tech problems

Last edited by I am the Walrus; 09-02-2016 at 12:07 AM. Reason: Added text
Old 09-02-2016, 12:28 AM
eddielasvegas
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Oh man...

My '09 Cayman with PDK is at 36k and it sometimes does the clunk when I put it in reverse, but not when coming to a stop.

And I'm just a smidge out of warranty too, say like four years.

Eddie

Originally Posted by aljus
about 36k....
Old 09-02-2016, 12:49 AM
DerekS
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 54 Posts

I'm glad this story had a happy ending. Good on PCNA for standing by their products!
Old 09-02-2016, 01:00 AM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Yeah really glad Porsche picked up the tab.
Old 09-02-2016, 01:22 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 827 Likes on 456 Posts

Glad they stood behind this product. Am sure quite a few Cayenne diesel owners wish they could get the same. Enjoy your car in good health!
Old 09-02-2016, 08:45 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,407 Likes on 2,514 Posts

Good news.

I warned you in the other thread, about them washing your car.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9500...e-pleasee.html

Quick Reply: pdk transmission replacement