Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pdk transmission replacement ! advice pleasee...

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 03:51 PM
aljus
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default pdk transmission replacement ! advice pleasee...

The pdk transmission on my 2012 991 is being replaced by the dealer....I would appreciate ANY advice from any of you ladies and gentlemen as to any thing I should look for or be careful about after I take the car back.........Thanks
Old 08-21-2016, 03:53 PM
77tony
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 116 Posts

Whats wrong with it ? Is it still under warranty ? T
Old 08-21-2016, 04:03 PM
DerekS
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 52 Posts

I really wouldn't worry too much. Be glad it failed under warranty and not outside it!
Old 08-21-2016, 07:53 PM
Jnosol
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts

Damn, I'm interested in how many miles you have and what happened? My understanding is our PDK is built like a rock, unless there's too many Launch Control sessions.
Old 08-21-2016, 08:08 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by aljus
The pdk transmission on my 2012 991 is being replaced by the dealer....I would appreciate ANY advice from any of you ladies and gentlemen as to any thing I should look for or be careful about after I take the car back.........Thanks
Yikes. Glad/hope it's under warranty. What went wrong? Mechanical? Sensor?
T
Old 08-21-2016, 09:22 PM
Key Left
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just heard of a Macan PDK being replaced at my dealership.
Old 08-21-2016, 10:15 PM
bmxtreme
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What symptom did you have that end up needing them replaced? Would like to know more.
Old 08-22-2016, 12:58 AM
Bucaro
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't sweat it. I had my engine replaced at 1,500 miles. Not a single problem since then (I have 7,500 miles currently).
Old 08-22-2016, 08:45 AM
Bradley Scott
Racer

To the original poster, I don't speak for everyone but it's a pet peeve of mine when someone comes on here looking for advice "ASAP" on what appears to be a very serious issue with an owner's vehicle, and then ditches for a while.

When you're asking others for advice, you should probably give them the respect of acknowledging their questions / comments.

Anyone with me on this?
Old 08-22-2016, 09:54 AM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Bradley Scott
To the original poster, I don't speak for everyone but it's a pet peeve of mine when someone comes on here looking for advice "ASAP" on what appears to be a very serious issue with an owner's vehicle, and then ditches for a while.

When you're asking others for advice, you should probably give them the respect of acknowledging their questions / comments.

Anyone with me on this?
I don't know if it is a pet peeve, but yeah, it'd be nice to know about the warning signs, diagnosis, etc. as that info becomes available...T
Old 08-22-2016, 11:00 AM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 240 Posts

I have made a habit of not responding to people that are new thread starters with very few posts until I am sure they have some skin in the game. Too many post and ditch for my time to be wasted.
Old 08-22-2016, 11:35 AM
aljus
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

to the critics : Did it ever cross your genius minds that there might be a reason why I was brief in my thread and not responding !!!!!??????

to others : thanks for your inputs and I will post the whole story when it is appropriate to do so....thanks again
Old 08-22-2016, 12:07 PM
petee1997
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

And I will answer your question when it's appropriate.
Old 08-22-2016, 12:20 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Had a 6-speed transmission in my 2003 Turbo replaced in 2009/2010 under CPO warranty.

Transmission developed a selector shaft seal leak and the factory said "replace it" and shipped a new transmission over. Took a couple of weeks to arrive.

As replacements go replacing the transmission is not that big a deal.

My advice is to when you go to to pick up the car believe you will have to leave it.

Give the car a mini-"used" car check out. Give the car a visual inspection. Open the engine compartment and check everything looks ok.

In the car turn on the key and verify all warning lights come on then go off when you start the engine.

Let the engine idle some and listen to the engine to make sure it sounds ok, idles ok. Listen to the PDK to make sure it doesn't make any odd noises.

After a bit shift the PDK from park to neutral to drive to reverse and so on and that it "shifts" ok. You are looking for, listening for any signs the linkage is not working right.

After more idling then take the car out on a road test. Drive the car normally while the engine (and PDK) warm up. You want to give the PDK a work out. Stop and go. Accelerating from a dead stop. Do a K-turn or two to make sure the PDK can handle rapid changes in direction with no drama. Steady speed cruising. If possible then on the highway test the kickdown feature. Try to use the manual shift feature to make sure this works ok.

In brief just make sure that the car, the engine, and the PDK all work with no symptoms or signs of any trouble.

If you find a problem get the car back to the dealer and leave it to have the problem addressed. If you take the car you are signaling to the dealer you will accept sub-par results and this makes getting things taken care of right harder.

After you accept the car remember the replacement PDK is new so if there is a break in period for the PDK adhere to it. And keep your eyes and ears open to any signs of any problems from the "new" PDK while the engine is running and on the road but also before you get in the car check for any fluid leak sign and check the garage floor for any leak sign. While it is new even new ones can develop a problem. The odds are very slim the replacement will act up -- my Turbo's replacement 6-speed has been a dream of a transmission -- but you want to be aware of the possibility.

Be sure you come back and tell us the "rest of the story"!
Old 08-22-2016, 01:11 PM
Bradley Scott
Racer

to the critics : Did it ever cross your genius minds that there might be a reason why I was brief in my thread and not responding !!!!!??????

to others : thanks for your inputs and I will post the whole story when it is appropriate to do so....thanks again
How old are you?

When it's appropriate? Why'd you start this thread? What could possibly be inappropriate about answering all the questions everyone was asking?

I generally refrain from calling people out because there's really no point and we are all adults, but I smell Bull Crap here.

Quick Reply: pdk transmission replacement ! advice pleasee...