Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 552 Likes on 317 Posts
Default Black Porsche 991 Carrera Short Shifter Upgrade Kit Install

Attachment 1344394
Black Porsche 991 Carrera Short Shifter
Upgrade Kit Install at BBi Autosport

Just wanted to take a quick moment to share this black 991 Carrera that stopped by for GT4 short shifter upgrade. The GT4 shifter reduces the height by 2 cm and provides a much more snappier and more precise gear changes. Here are some detailed pictures that we would like to share of the kit and the installation process that was completed this week below.

Sport Shift Upgrade Kit

Key Features
  • Upgraded shift mechanism with reduced shift throw
  • Shift **** height is reduced by 2 centimeters (.79 inches)
  • Spring loaded actuation
  • Reduced shift lever height and spring loaded lever makes for snappier and more precise gear changes.
  • Fits the new generation 981/991 models with manual transmission
  • Compatible with all shift *****
  • Direct replacement part

Installation Process

Interior Trim Removed to Reveal the OEM Shifter Mechanism

OEM 991 Carrera vs GT4 Shifter Comparison

GT4 Shifter Installed

Installation Completed

- Jerry@BBiAutosport.com

Bringing Passion, Artistry, Craft to the Porsche Tuning Industry
Southern California's Porsche Performance Tuning, Engine Development,
ECU Software Tuning, Custom Fabrication, Race Preparation & Factory Service Center
Website: www.bbiautosport.com Email: sales@bbiautosport.com Phone: (714) 843-0200
Follow Us On: Facebook & Instagram
Old 08-31-2016, 09:19 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by 997s07
Still charging 2 hours for a 45 minute job?
What's the difference? If that's their fee to do the install, that's their fee to do the install. If that is how long it takes to do it slowly, to make sure that they do not damage any interior parts and to make sure it's done right the first time, what's your problem? Would it be productive or nice if I responded to each one of your posts by asking "still being a jerk" or "still expecting something for nothing, cheapskate?"
Old 08-31-2016, 10:37 PM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by awrryan
What's the difference? If that's their fee to do the install, that's their fee to do the install. If that is how long it takes to do it slowly, to make sure that they do not damage any interior parts and to make sure it's done right the first time, what's your problem? Would it be productive or nice if I responded to each one of your posts by asking "still being a jerk" or "still expecting something for nothing, cheapskate?"
Well I would say "Expect something for nothing" If you look under his name, it does say "USER" Not a paying member.
Old 09-01-2016, 01:27 AM
pfan
Pro

Received 78 Likes on 46 Posts

Still charging 2 hours for a 45 minute job?
Nope.

For you, three hours.
Old 09-01-2016, 04:27 AM
bright_medal
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I had this same install done on my C2S at BBI and am super happy with the shifter and the install. Worth every penny! I called some local independents and also asked my local dealer and the price I was getting quoted was almost twice as much.

BBI

(no affiliation, just a happy customer)
Old 09-01-2016, 04:51 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pfan
Nope.

For you, three hours.
Lol!
Old 09-01-2016, 04:56 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

A fee? Then call it a fee. Don't disguise it as 'two hours.' I have done three of these installs, because my friend and brother in law and I are cheapskates and we even stole the shifter from the Sunset Porsche warehouse. I rather hold on to a few hundered bucks, having problems affording my car... And don't even get me started on fuel prices. Havn't eaten for days.

Hey, hope you are enjoying your ad-free experience, not to mention the marketplace and off topic stuff. Indeed very useful to all of us.

If they hire me I will show them how to do it in four hours. You couldn't afford it then, ypu don't even have a rennlist membership.

You guys like to be told the job takes two hours when it doesn't, great. Some may not like that, my post is for those. Crazy thing this internet, feels like High School, only more cliquish.
I see. So you're upset that they don't quote their fee in the manner that YOU would prefer? That was a rhetorical question. Crazy thing this Internet. Gives you a glimpse into someone psyche, ego, personality, etc.
Old 09-01-2016, 06:16 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BBiAutosport

Black Porsche 991 Carrera Short Shifter
Upgrade Kit Install at BBi Autosport

Just wanted to take a quick moment to share this black 991 Carrera that stopped by for GT4 short shifter upgrade. The GT4 shifter reduces the height by 2 cm and provides a much more snappier and more precise gear changes. Here are some detailed pictures that we would like to share of the kit and the installation process that was completed this week below.

Sport Shift Upgrade Kit

Key Features
  • Upgraded shift mechanism with reduced shift throw
  • Shift **** height is reduced by 2 centimeters (.79 inches)
  • Spring loaded actuation
  • Reduced shift lever height and spring loaded lever makes for snappier and more precise gear changes.
  • Fits the new generation 981/991 models with manual transmission
  • Compatible with all shift *****
  • Direct replacement part

Installation Process

Interior Trim Removed to Reveal the OEM Shifter Mechanism

OEM 991 Carrera vs GT4 Shifter Comparison

GT4 Shifter Installed

Installation Completed

- Jerry@BBiAutosport.com
Other than the shifter, are there any other parts required? Does anything need to be modified or is it a direct drop in part? Also, that black car looks great. Do you know what suspension is on the car?
Old 09-01-2016, 06:21 PM
X2Board
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 50 Posts

I'm an expert in my field. It did not happen overnight, so I feel no guilt in billing for an hour, what it take me 10 minutes to do. If someone has an issue with that, they are free to spend the time, and money to acquire the knowledge themselves, and the 30+ years of experience.
Old 09-01-2016, 07:09 PM
maxpowers
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by X2Board
I'm an expert in my field. It did not happen overnight, so I feel no guilt in billing for an hour, what it take me 10 minutes to do. If someone has an issue with that, they are free to spend the time, and money to acquire the knowledge themselves, and the 30+ years of experience.
So if you have your AC repaired and all it requires is unscrewing and replacing a part and it takes the technician 5 minutes you're happy to pay 3 hours because of the time it took him to become an expert?

If you go for a tennis lesson where they charge $50/hr you wouldn't see any problem paying $150 for a 1 hour lesson because of the 30 years it took them to acquire their tennis skills?

That sounds extremely deceptive to me
Old 09-02-2016, 08:53 AM
X2Board
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by maxpowers
So if you have your AC repaired and all it requires is unscrewing and replacing a part and it takes the technician 5 minutes you're happy to pay 3 hours because of the time it took him to become an expert?

If you go for a tennis lesson where they charge $50/hr you wouldn't see any problem paying $150 for a 1 hour lesson because of the 30 years it took them to acquire their tennis skills?

That sounds extremely deceptive to me
To your first analogy; I had my home AC serviced two weeks ago, the tech quickly determined that it just needed refrigerant, 1lb was added to the system and he was done in 20 minutes. Did I complain when he handed me the bill? No! I knew going in that there was a minimum service fee, just to look into the issue. He could have dicked around and taken a full hour, or replaced something that did not need replacing, just to pad his bill.

It's the same thing with my work, I'll resolve an issue as quickly as I can, but you're not going to pay less than my 1 hour minimum. Every one of my clients is losing money by the minute, when something is not working, so what I can diagnose and fix in 10 vs. 60, is preventing the potential loss of thousands of dollars in revenue, I haven't had any complaints yet, just lots of thanks!

Another comparison. When I take my kid to the orthodontist, and he looks at her teeth for 10 minutes, then has one of his many assistants do the actual installation, or adjustment of braces, do I complain when I get the huge bill because he only spent 10 minutes looking at an x-ray or her mouth? No! Because his many years of expensive dental school, and thousands of hours sacrificed to get him to that level of expertise is worth something.

If you're in the habit of undervaluing your skills, feel free to continue to do so.
Old 09-03-2016, 10:28 AM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Very accurate post. Keep on trucking buddy. I could tell from your initial post that you are very good at taking things out of context and being assumptive. Obviously you learned a lot about me in two posts. You must be very smart and very secure in yourself. Surely vendors would love to talk to you for a couple of hours, you are a perfect customer. I got a few bridges for you, the transaction won't take long, say a couple of hours.
This was started as a post by (what I and, likely, others perceive to be) a reputable sponsor that, among others, regularly contributes to this site with information and pictures about what's going on and what mods they are performing and installing. The first post after the original post was your negative, sarcastic, passive-aggressive or whatever you want to call it remark about the install fee. I assure you it didn't take me more than your one post to learn about you and I assure you that I did not take anything out of context.
Old 09-03-2016, 10:46 AM
erko1905
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 61 Posts

So this is the actual OEM GT4 shifter? Is it a perfect "fitment" ie a plugnplay situation on the 991? Looks pretty good post install, even though I don't feel (yet) like shifts need to be any shorter or more precise, except maybe around gears 1-2.
Old 09-03-2016, 01:33 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

To the OP. Do you guys carry this shifter or do I need to order it elsewhere and have you install it?
Old 09-03-2016, 07:00 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

I have now owned three GT3s and know who the vendor is. And know how they like to advertise. Are you upset that they didn't respond to your aśś kissing post? Ever tried searching for the SSK thread that now has a multiage discussion on the install and where to get the part? You will find a few answers.

Thanks for your assurances. It comforts me but it doesn't change your silly and assumptive behaviour. I wasn't speaking to you in my oroginal post, yet you like to pick fights. Very adult of you.

I will call out any vendor who charges hourly fees wherein the job doesn't take as much time. Just like I called out Suncoast for overcharging (about $100 over MSRP) on the GT4 shifter.

Get over yourself, it is still summer, take a small vacation.
I think you may be projecting yourself upon me. I'm glad you responded. I learned something else about you because of your "I have now owned three GT3s" comment...

Quick Reply: Black Porsche 991 Carrera Short Shifter Upgrade Kit Install