Sponsored by:

MF Wheel - why no paddles?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 09:18 AM
Canefan
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default MF Wheel - why no paddles?

I love my car. It's the perfect build for me except for the MF Wheel. I have read the threads where some have swapped it out after the fact, which would require a stalk for the MF controls to be added. I am also aware of the Techart solution, but you don't get the full functionality of the sport wheel paddles. It got me thinking, why wouldn't they put paddles on the car regardless of the steering wheel. Why on earth did they design the MF wheel with those buttons instead? It seems to me that they could have put paddles behind the MF wheel pretty easily. Just doesn't make sense on PDK cars.
Old 08-29-2016, 09:42 AM
RYE
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 24 Posts

I couldn't agree more. I personally went with tech-art but either way for me it was a compromise. These days I am inclined to loose MF but I can't give up having a heated wheel (cabriolet). Too bad the MF (and presumably the heated wheel function) from the 991.2 wheel can't be used on the 991.1. To me the 991.2 wheel solves all the issues, so I will patiently wait until someone figures out how to make it work.

PS: Does anyone know if the sport design steering wheel can be option with heated function?
Old 08-29-2016, 09:56 AM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RYE
I couldn't agree more. I personally went with tech-art but either way for me it was a compromise. These days I am inclined to loose MF but I can't give up having a heated wheel (cabriolet). Too bad the MF (and presumably the heated wheel function) from the 991.2 wheel can't be used on the 991.1. To me the 991.2 wheel solves all the issues, so I will patiently wait until someone figures out how to make it work.

PS: Does anyone know if the sport design steering wheel can be option with heated function?
I do, and it can't
Old 08-29-2016, 11:23 AM
Jay-S
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 50 Posts

I think I'm one of the few Porsche owners that likes the push-pull. Didn't like them at first and it was easy to accidentally hit them but you learn. The advantage is that your hands / fingers stay firmly on the wheel which I really like. And I can heat the wheel
Old 08-29-2016, 02:34 PM
MinMay
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm happy with the push-pull button with the multi function options...
Old 08-29-2016, 03:57 PM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay-S
I think I'm one of the few Porsche owners that likes the push-pull. Didn't like them at first and it was easy to accidentally hit them but you learn. The advantage is that your hands / fingers stay firmly on the wheel which I really like. And I can heat the wheel
Good point(s)! I usually drive with both hands on the 10/2 o'clock position and sport mode. Let the pdk do its magic. Love the MF option though the SD "looks" better IMHO!
Old 08-29-2016, 05:54 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,610 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Originally Posted by RobC4sX51
Good point(s)! I usually drive with both hands on the 10/2 o'clock position and sport mode. Let the pdk do its magic. Love the MF option though the SD "looks" better IMHO!
+1 ...
Old 08-30-2016, 04:38 PM
KenTO
Burning Brakes

Received 551 Likes on 208 Posts

I purchased a Maserati GranTurismo S instead of a Porsche a few years ago because the car I test drove had those buttons, they were an awful idea and should be completely eliminated and switched to flappy paddles, IMHO.. As for holding the wheel, you might want to try 9 and 3 in a sports car, instead of 10 and 2.

http://www.trackhq.com/forums/f221/h...ing-wheel-648/

http://www.turnfast.com/tech_driving/driving_steering
Old 08-30-2016, 09:15 PM
X2Board
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by KenTO
As for holding the wheel, you might want to try 9 and 3 in a sports car, instead of 10 and 2.

http://www.trackhq.com/forums/f221/h...ing-wheel-648/

http://www.turnfast.com/tech_driving/driving_steering
You beat me to it! 10 and 2 is a no, no, in any car!
Old 08-30-2016, 10:28 PM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=KenTO;13566528]I purchased a Maserati GranTurismo S instead of a Porsche a few years ago because the car I test drove had those buttons, they were an awful idea and should be completely eliminated and switched to flappy paddles, IMHO.. As for holding the wheel, you might want to try 9 and 3 in a sports car, instead of 10 and 2.

Thanks for the links! I have read and heard all that before. I don't see any humble opinion though! MF steering wheels have there place for some of us. Some of us like to make business phone calls with out ever having to take our hands off the wheel. Heated steering wheels on a cold day is definitely a nice touch too (now available on the 991.2). As for 10/2 position, I probably use 9:30 and 2:30, on the bottom side of those nice thick portions (at 10/2 that Porsche puts on their (ALL) steering wheels. If you drive a MF steering wheel at 9/3 position you will frequently and inadvertently engage those said pesky buttons that manually change your PDK. I will leave you race car drivers to the 9/3 position!
Old 08-30-2016, 10:30 PM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by X2Board
You beat me to it! 10 and 2 is a no, no, in any car!
Thanks for the tip. Don't want to do any no no in any car!
Old 08-31-2016, 01:28 AM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 262 Likes on 172 Posts

Functionally, the MF steering wheel is far superior to the sport one, IMHO of course. I like making phone calls and love the convenience of having the controls, especially since our 2 BMWs have similar functionality, granted in a completely different layout.
Aesthetically, I prefer the sport steering but absolutely HATE reaching for the paddle shifters behind it. I feel that the MF buttons, unsightly as those might be, actually work better and you get to steer to a point while changing gears. This is especially important to me as the paddle shifters lose their optimal position, relative to the turning radios of the steering wheel, if that makes sense. During sharp cornering, neither option works well for me, at which point it's up to the gear selector with its counter-intuitive forward upshift, and backward downshift.
Oh well...first world problems....

Quick Reply: MF Wheel - why no paddles?