Sponsored by:

ISO 991.2 Targa 4S

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 04:23 PM
trice9
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 19 Posts
Default ISO 991.2 Targa 4S

I am in the market for a 991.2 Targa 4S. It seems there are very few Targa's on the road or on dealer lots. Why is that?

I prefer to build to spec. Will it be difficult to get an allocation?

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-27-2016, 08:28 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,242 Likes on 1,026 Posts

Let me give a stab to your question.

Few people will be able to answer your question directly and perhaps that's why 111 views have not generated a response.

You need to call a dealer to determine allocation availability. Depending on where you live (CA, Florida or Northeast), call multiple dealers and have them bid off each other. If you want a 991.2 Targa 4S, you will get one. This is not a 911R, GT4 or GT3RS. There is little demand/supply mismatch for a Targa 4S.
Old 08-27-2016, 09:18 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by trice9
I am in the market for a 991.2 Targa 4S. It seems there are very few Targa's on the road or on dealer lots. Why is that?.
+1 what sub shooter said... Plus you prob don't see many or any .2 Targas on the road or at dealers because the .2's have just come out. But you say you want to order to spec so why won't your dealer simply tell you when they can fit your order in? Like subshooter said a targa isn't some special model and would be "allocated" on-demand like a cab would. An allocation typically is an issue with very limited models... Or with versions not out yet like the .2 GTS.
Good luck.
Old 08-28-2016, 12:30 AM
fuddman
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

It seems there are very few Targa's .. on dealer lots. Why is that?
IMO, on average, a Porsche dealer has to fork over about 2.3 million dollars just to keep a respectable number of new Porsche cars visibly for sale on his lot. That's a lot of money that they would prefer not to have sitting still. Naturally enough, the best sellers (most profitable) get the most lot space. Targa is not one them. Think Macan and Cayenne.

I prefer to build to spec. Will it be difficult to get an allocation?
IMO, the good news is: it's not difficult to get an allocation. The bad news is: you'll have to wait months, not weeks, to get your car.
Old 08-28-2016, 03:49 AM
RS911
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 60 Posts

I believe it depends on where you live. In California for example you should not find too many Targa's and more Cabriolets. In Colorado, I would expect to see more Targas. It all depends on the weather and what kind of vehicle sells best in that area.
Old 08-28-2016, 10:54 AM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The Targa is an expensive proposition due to its premium over a similarly equipped

Last edited by TorqueChap; 08-28-2016 at 11:30 AM.
Old 08-28-2016, 11:28 AM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 194 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by TorqueChap
The Targa is an expensive proposition due to its premium over a similarly equipped cabriolet. Many think it's the prettiest Carrera model; however, it ain't cheap. This is why Targa supply is low.
Correct. Dealer allocation are very few. My dealer told me when I ordered my car in April that it was his only Targa allocation until this fall.

Ask your dealer when his next allocation will be. If he doesn't know then call around.
Old 08-28-2016, 11:51 AM
Bradley Scott
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^ All true. When I went to order my C4S in July, 3 dealerships (Manhattan, Cherry Hill, and Ray Catena) told me its good that I was interested in a C4S because they had no allocations for a Targa. Wonder why they don't up the production to meet demand. Perhaps they want to keep everything exclusive. You know, if you want a Mercedes SL63 and you order one - its in your garage within 5 - 6 weeks if its a very special order - 4 weeks if not.

With Porsche 911 models - when you order, you're lucky if you have it in 3 months.
Old 08-28-2016, 01:42 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 194 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Bradley Scott
^^ All true. When I went to order my C4S in July, 3 dealerships (Manhattan, Cherry Hill, and Ray Catena) told me its good that I was interested in a C4S because they had no allocations for a Targa. Wonder why they don't up the production to meet demand. Perhaps they want to keep everything exclusive. You know, if you want a Mercedes SL63 and you order one - its in your garage within 5 - 6 weeks if its a very special order - 4 weeks if not.

With Porsche 911 models - when you order, you're lucky if you have it in 3 months.
One possible explanation is they will be coming out with a Targa GTS. Most probably would opt for that knowing they will be paying a $30,000 premium for it.

Quick Reply: ISO 991.2 Targa 4S