Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to remove front bumper spoiler?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 10:19 PM
bmxtreme
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Default How to remove front bumper spoiler?

Every post says snap off, but mine won't even budge. Anyone have detail instructions how to remove the front bumper spoiler? How many tabs needs to be disengage, where to start etc?
Old 08-26-2016, 11:51 PM
gtSteve
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the spoiler held on by clips or rivets? Suncoast sells rivets with the spoiler.
Old 08-27-2016, 12:07 AM
RoWa
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Quite a few threads on this, seems there may be variations. I have a 2014 C4S with PASM.

My front spoiler comes in two pieces: a flexible rubber piece underneath and a hard black plastic piece. The rubber piece is secured with 2 screws at either end. Remove these and slide the rubber piece to right (I think), andit will drop out. The hard plastic piece of the spoiler, the piece you really see when looking at the car is only attached with tabs into the front bumper and can be carefully tugged off pulling forward. Voila. I had the spoiler off last weekend, 5 minutes off and 5 minutes back on.
Old 08-27-2016, 12:23 AM
Slim987
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

I swapped mine out from the standard spoiler to the SPASM spoiler

Standard spoiler had two pieces like noted above. The rubber (behind the visible plastic piece) was attached with two screws. The plastic spoiler was attached with 4 screws.

In total, I removed six screws. I installed the new SPASM spoiler without any screws - just clipped in.
Old 08-27-2016, 01:29 AM
bmxtreme
Racer

Thanks guys, i have a C2S with normal spoiler trying to swap them out for the SPASM spoiler. I managed to get the rubber piece out. The rubber piece is held on with 2 torx screws on both sides as mentioned and also 2 plastic rivet screws towards the middle on both sides. Took abit of wiggling before it came off.

Still trying to figure how to get that plastic piece off. It wiggle a little but won't disconnect from anything. I looked under and inspect it for a good 20 minutes and can't see any screws attached to it. The only screws are the ones holding the bumper further back. Hmm...........
Old 08-27-2016, 01:35 AM
RoWa
Instructor

Originally Posted by RoWa
Quite a few threads on this, seems there may be variations. I have a 2014 C4S with PASM.

My front spoiler comes in two pieces: a flexible rubber piece underneath and a hard black plastic piece. The rubber piece is secured with 2 screws at either end. Remove these and slide the rubber piece to right (I think), andit will drop out. The hard plastic piece of the spoiler, the piece you really see when looking at the car is only attached with tabs into the front bumper and can be carefully tugged off pulling forward. Voila. I had the spoiler off last weekend, 5 minutes off and 5 minutes back on.

put together looking from bottom

together looking from top

end on view ... 2 pieces loosely clipped together

main piece frm top showing tabs that hold it in

from bottom

Old 08-27-2016, 01:39 AM
RoWa
Instructor

...hope that helps ... it was literally 5 minutes to take it off again

To get the larger plastic spoiler piece off, start at either end and wiggle and pull forwards towards the front of the car, then work your way to the middle. From the pics, hopefully clear that the tabs on the bottom (wider part) of the spoiler are just guides and the smaller tabs on the top (the narrower part) have the tabs that "clip" into the bumper.
Old 08-27-2016, 01:41 AM
bmxtreme
Racer

Thanks RoWa for the pics! Let me see if i can try pry around those tabs so it come loose.
Old 08-27-2016, 01:54 AM
RoWa
Instructor

Originally Posted by bmxtreme
Thanks RoWa for the pics! Let me see if i can try pry around those tabs so it come loose.
no need for tools, hands will do it ... just wiggle and pull, and maybe press down from the top at approximately where you see the tabs in top of the spoiler in the pics above
Old 08-27-2016, 03:15 AM
bmxtreme
Racer

Success! Thanks a bunch, looks like the trick is just pull as hard as you can. I was afraid of breaking any tabs, so I wasn't forcing it hard enough. As soon as I got one side off, popping the rest of the tabs off gets easier. Phew......the SPASM spoiler on the other hand seems to be loosely held compare to the standard one suprisingly, softer plastic as well.
Old 08-27-2016, 03:27 AM
RoWa
Instructor

Originally Posted by bmxtreme
Success! Thanks a bunch, looks like the trick is just pull as hard as you can. I was afraid of breaking any tabs, so I wasn't forcing it hard enough. As soon as I got one side off, popping the rest of the tabs off gets easier. Phew......the SPASM spoiler on the other hand seems to be loosely held compare to the standard one suprisingly, softer plastic as well.
glad it worked out for you:cheers
Old 08-27-2016, 08:02 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 848 Likes on 426 Posts

I'm glad you figured it out. I usually just pull over a parking stop and then back up.... that usually does the trick every time.
Old 08-27-2016, 08:37 AM
dkuznetsov
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CSK 911 C4S
I'm glad you figured it out. I usually just pull over a parking stop and then back up.... that usually does the trick every time.
I came here to make this joke exactly. First time it happened I had a heart attack.
Old 08-27-2016, 08:54 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 848 Likes on 426 Posts

Originally Posted by dkuznetsov
I came here to make this joke exactly. First time it happened I had a heart attack.
I'm glad I'm a little bit more relaxed about the occasional scratch and stone chip or 911 would have needed when I saw my spoiler detached and hanging off. I'm glad it just popped back into place and holding it's own even with some broken tabs. I also have a nice crack on one side being held together by the clear bra material.

Quick Reply: How to remove front bumper spoiler?