Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pdk transmission replacement ! advice pleasee...

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 01:12 PM
aljus
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Thank you so much Macster....you are a GEM ...that was exactly what I was looking for, not the last couple of posts...I wish those kids would learn something from you and respect others and their situations, like you did....I will post the rest of the story AFTER I get the car back.......thanks again bud...
Old 08-22-2016, 01:15 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,395 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Replacing a PDK is no big deal. Especially under warranty, since you're not paying. These are plug & play. About $15k.

Advice? Don't let them wash your car. That's about it.
Old 08-22-2016, 01:19 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 675 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by aljus
to the critics : Did it ever cross your genius minds that there might be a reason why I was brief in my thread and not responding !!!!!??????

to others : thanks for your inputs and I will post the whole story when it is appropriate to do so....thanks again
I honestly have no idea why you wouldn't want to post more information about what happened. A friend of mine had his PDK replaced TWICE on his 997 though...it was in the shop for five months out of the nine months he owned it...
Old 08-22-2016, 01:21 PM
Bradley Scott
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hurricane
I honestly have no idea why you wouldn't want to post more information about what happened. A friend of mine had his PDK replaced TWICE on his 997 though...it was in the shop for five months out of the nine months he owned it...
Because it was not appropriate.....yet.
Old 08-22-2016, 06:31 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

to the critics : Did it ever cross your genius minds that there might be a reason why I was brief in my thread and not responding !!!!!??????

to others : thanks for your inputs and I will post the whole story when it is appropriate to do so....thanks again
Not a critic, just an interested by-stander. I think a lot of people fret about the long-term reliability of PDK in the 997 generation cars, especially as they start to age, so any data points that the RL community can provide are of special interest, which of course leads to impatiences (speaking for myself!). Hope this has a quick and happy resolution for you…T
Old 08-22-2016, 06:35 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Thank you so much Macster....you are a GEM ...that was exactly what I was looking for, not the last couple of posts...I wish those kids would learn something from you and respect others and their situations, like you did....I will post the rest of the story AFTER I get the car back.......thanks again bud...
You are welcome.

In defense of some posts I think some participants are a bit anxious and impatient (understandably so) as to what is going on and are pushing to learn the details to know if there is anything they need to be aware of to possibly avoid getting themselves into the same situation or if they find themselves in this situation how to best handle it successfully like you have.

Understand I *do not* believe you brought this on yourself, you just had the unfortunate luck to have a bum PDK. It happens and this is why the new car warranty exists.

Anyhow the more anxious or just more impatient ones push for details when of course you have I'm sure good reasons to withhold them.

Get the PDK replaced and get the car back and spend some time with it to rebuild your confidence all is well with the new tranny and the car then I think you'll want to share your story.

Might add that even though I do not have a car with a PDK my next Porsche might have this transmission and I'm always on the lookout to increase my knowledge of the PDK.
Old 08-22-2016, 09:22 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Did you blow it up on a homemade dyno and waiting for warrenty to pay out before announcing how you did it? Or perhaps trying to replicate C&D's 100 launch control launches in a row? Does it involve mayonnaise somehow?
Old 08-22-2016, 11:12 PM
aljus
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

none of that stuff.....it is a 2012 991 c2 with about 35900 miles on it . . . That was funny though......
Old 08-22-2016, 11:24 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 675 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Bradley Scott
Because it was not appropriate.....yet.
Old 08-23-2016, 08:46 AM
oalvarez
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

My 2013 991s....@ 17k miles....second owner CPO car.....no warnings.....drove it, parked it, came back out, the PDK didn't work (warning messages at that time). PDK and module were replaced by the dealer. About $11k in receipts which the warranty paid for. Drove fine afterwards.
Old 08-23-2016, 11:30 AM
Jnosol
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Dewinator
Did you blow it up on a homemade dyno and waiting for warrenty to pay out before announcing how you did it? Or perhaps trying to replicate C&D's 100 launch control launches in a row? Does it involve mayonnaise somehow?
What??? You missed the 250 shot of NOS or trying to put it in reverse at 120mph.

OP: PDK has a strong reputation of being indestructible. The reason why we're interested in this thread is to gain on insight on how it fails so prematurely. If it's user error, then fine. But if it fails by driving normally or track, we would like to know. This is a safe zone, that's why we use our screen names instead of full names.
Old 08-23-2016, 02:28 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Great way to make new friends.

Originally Posted by Dewinator
Does it involve mayonnaise somehow?
Old 09-02-2016, 08:46 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,395 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Advice? Don't let them wash your car. That's about it.
Told ya so.

Quick Reply: pdk transmission replacement ! advice pleasee...