Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems with My CPO Car

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 11:04 AM
r00t61
Pro

Received 245 Likes on 154 Posts

I can confirm that the CPO standard has been changed to 3 or less panels. This is an excerpt from a CPO checklist that I recently received, on a car that was CPO'd this past June.

OP, I am sorry for your situation. I hope you get some relief soon.
Old 08-26-2016, 11:30 AM
///Armin
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ForbiddenRooster
PCNA initially confirmed the 2 panel standard but just told me today that the CPO checklist was changed to 3 panels. I asked them when, but haven't got a date yet. So far, this is the worst car buying experience ever. I just found out that they did not have my car painted at their shop. They farmed it out to a cheaper place without telling me. Also, I cannot locate the name they gave me for the body shop. Not good. The paint will probably last a few months. I'd post a review of the dealer, but current google reviews state that they were refused service after posting.
Which dealer is this?
Old 08-26-2016, 05:19 PM
fuddman
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I bought a 2012 CPO 2CS in April. Before purchasing the car, I noticed a 6" scratch on the hood. The SA assured me the car had its original paint (yes, my fault for trusting him) but told me they would repaint the hood if they could not buff it out. While I preferred it be buffed, I was ok with a repaint so I bought the car.

When I got home, I realized that the hood/bumper had already been repainted (and not very well - it looked great in the sun but not so much in my garage with good lighting). I told the SA that they might as well just repaint it. Well, they have repainted the hood twice and it looks pretty bad (e.g. wavy, sand marks under clear coat, and even the emblem is on crooked). Also, they will not tell me who has done the paint work.

I am not sure what to do next. Is there any way to have Porsche get involved since this is a CPO? Are there regional reps in the DC area? There were also a number of other issues with the car that weren't listed on the CPO checklist which leads me to believe this dealership short cuts the CPO process. For example, the car had a broken lens on the sport chrono (which the SA said they would replace in writing) and a ripped seat (which was masked by a bad sew job). It took me until this month to get them to replace it and they finally took one off another CPO car and put the broken one on that one $95K vehicle.

This is probably just an expensive lesson learned. At least the car is a joy to drive. All they have offered so far is $2k additional on my trade in value which is $10k lower than purchase price. Advice?
Clearly, the dealer misrepresented the car to you. He told you it had cleared as a CPO car when, in fact, as you and others have pointed out, it was not eligible for that designation. Personally, that's how I would pursue the situation - as a dealer failing to represent the car accurately.

I suspect the dealer already knows he screwed up and is trying to fix it for you.

In any case, IMO, the two basic questions you need to answer are (a) do you want to keep the car or (b) have you lost faith in the car to the extent you want to give it back?
If you want to keep it then you must decide what the dealer needs to do to it to satisfy you. As someone suggested, have it repainted but you choose the shop.
Have you already approached the dealer to give it back? Is that what you're referring to in saying "...they have offered so far is $2k additional on my trade in value which is $10k lower than purchase price?"
Old 08-26-2016, 05:44 PM
Peruna
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 48 Posts

Be liberal with your use of the phrase "deceptive trade practices" when speaking with the dealer or PCNA...

Also, you should locate your car's certification paperwork re. clarification of 2 or 3 body panels being painted. Mine was provided to me at the time of sale.

Can't tell where you are located, but if in Texas feel free to reach out if you need some help.
Old 08-26-2016, 05:47 PM
ForbiddenRooster
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Fuddman - Option b is what I am going for but with little luck at this point. I have talked to 3 people at PCNA that seemed appalled at what happened. The question is whether they have any influence on the dealer. If left up to the dealer, I am fairly certain nothing will be done. They told me this morning they are discussing it internally and will get back to me today. I doubt I will get a call. I told them that there is no need to discuss too long. Doing the right thing is a short conversation. Coming up with the best scheme to get rid of me is the long conversation. Yes, so far the "give it back" option is just me trading it in like any other customer (with an extra $2k that anyone could negotiate).
Old 08-26-2016, 06:40 PM
fuddman
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Fuddman - Option b is what I am going for but with little luck at this point. I have talked to 3 people at PCNA that seemed appalled at what happened. The question is whether they have any influence on the dealer. If left up to the dealer, I am fairly certain nothing will be done. They told me this morning they are discussing it internally and will get back to me today. I doubt I will get a call. I told them that there is no need to discuss too long. Doing the right thing is a short conversation. Coming up with the best scheme to get rid of me is the long conversation. Yes, so far the "give it back" option is just me trading it in like any other customer (with an extra $2k that anyone could negotiate).
IMO, PCNA is not likely to act quickly. At that level, they just mull a lot. You being antsy, is part of this kind of situation and (easy for me to say) that's the way I'd look at. It's going to take time to unravel all this in a fair way.
Have you decided, specifically, what you want for compensation? Unless it's already taken place, that could very well be the subject of your next conversation with them and you should be prepared to address it.
Have you looked at your states' consumer protection web page? Might be some helpful stuff in there. Know that Porsche NA will probably already have been there.
Old 08-26-2016, 06:45 PM
Roosell
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ///Armin
Which dealer is this?
+1
Old 08-26-2016, 07:59 PM
13mit
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 3 Posts

Not shocked if it's a Virginia dealer. I visited all of the dealerships in the NOVA area before realizing they were all incompetent or shady and started searching nationwide.
Old 08-27-2016, 09:34 AM
ForbiddenRooster
Advanced

Originally Posted by 13mit
Not shocked if it's a Virginia dealer. I visited all of the dealerships in the NOVA area before realizing they were all incompetent or shady and started searching nationwide.
Did you locate any in driving distance that you have had a good experience with?
Old 08-27-2016, 09:46 AM
ForbiddenRooster
Advanced

Originally Posted by fuddman
At that level, they just mull a lot.
This is my concern -- I am not talking to the right people. Does anyone have a good POC at PCNA?
Old 08-27-2016, 10:58 AM
Carsly
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

+1 I live in NJ but in talking / emailing with a couple Porsche dealers in NoVA realized quickly there was no way I'd buy a car from any of them. Ended up finding my car at a great P-dealer in CT.
Old 08-27-2016, 10:25 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 691 Likes on 314 Posts

Did you locate any in driving distance that you have had a good experience with?
While I have no experience in purchasing from a dealer in the area, I have had excellent service at Tysons Corner.

I just got back tonight from buying a CPO 991S from a dealer in Columbus, OH - wonderful experience, beautiful car.
Old 08-28-2016, 01:35 AM
13mit
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Hurricane
While I have no experience in purchasing from a dealer in the area, I have had excellent service at Tysons Corner.

I just got back tonight from buying a CPO 991S from a dealer in Columbus, OH - wonderful experience, beautiful car.
Complete opposite experience for me. SA I was working with scheduled me for an early 7:30am appointment. Woke up earlier than I had to so I could make it to this appointment before work started. Guy didn't even show up and no one bothered to follow up either. I've heard better things about some of the MD dealerships but I haven't had the chance to go yet.
Old 08-28-2016, 02:18 AM
911Forever
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Complete opposite experience for me. SA I was working with scheduled me for an early 7:30am appointment. Woke up earlier than I had to so I could make it to this appointment before work started. Guy didn't even show up and no one bothered to follow up either. I've heard better things about some of the MD dealerships but I haven't had the chance to go yet.
I had a very good buying experience at Annapolis Porsche in Maryland back in April of this year, but I had not done service here yet. As far as Rockville Porsche in Maryland, the Service Advisor here is an unfriendly cocky dude. Since Rockville only has one SA, I will not have my car serviced here unless they fire this guy!

Quick Reply: Problems with My CPO Car