Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does a fun daily driver take away from your 911?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 01:55 PM
manitou202
Burning Brakes

Received 406 Likes on 158 Posts
Default Does a fun daily driver take away from your 911?

Currently I daily drive a BMW i3. My lease is up later this year and I have a reservation for a Tesla Model 3 (if it ever comes out) as a potential future DD. So while I'm waiting for the Model 3 I thought it might be a nice change of pace to buy a "fun" car as a DD to fill in the gap. I live in Colorado so a car with AWD would be a plus and my wife has a Q7 TDI so we've got the family hauler already taken care of. I've been looking at a BMW M235i (maybe stretch for an M2), Audi S3, Mini Cooper S Clubman, and the Focus RS. At this point I'm leaning towards the M235i with AWD.

My fear is daily driving a decent sports car could take away some of the enjoyment of driving the 991 on the weekends. A couple of my friends are convinced I should get a Jeep Wrangler or a Toyota Tacoma for something completely different. But I'm not a fan of SUVs and Trucks although having a pickup would be useful from time to time.

Any suggestions? I've also thought about getting a 996 C4S and throwing some snow tires on it and using that as a DD. But I would prefer a newer car with a warranty so I'm not worrying about a bunch of unexpected repairs.
Old 07-05-2016, 02:36 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

No way! Many on here love a GTi for a DD. the BMW while fun, is going to be so different from your 911. A ferrari is a fun car yet still so different. That Focus RS will be a beast.

FWIW - I drive an A4 quattro that is a fun car in it's own right but is not special. i love it compared to rentals when I travel but compared to my 911 it's still an appliance.
Old 07-05-2016, 02:42 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Well, I like my M235i, it's fun and it's great to have, but there is no comparison to the 991 experience.

Old 07-05-2016, 02:52 PM
ArthurVandalay
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wrangler TJ 5spd
Sloooow fun.

Especially where you are located. There are a tonne of trails you could access.
Old 07-05-2016, 03:12 PM
Peruna
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 48 Posts

Prius is my DD. I cry tears of joy every time I get in my C2S....nothing feels better than going from a slow CVT to a rocket 7MT
Old 07-05-2016, 03:28 PM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by manitou202
Currently I daily drive a BMW i3. My lease is up later this year and I have a reservation for a Tesla Model 3 (if it ever comes out) as a potential future DD. So while I'm waiting for the Model 3 I thought it might be a nice change of pace to buy a "fun" car as a DD to fill in the gap. I live in Colorado so a car with AWD would be a plus and my wife has a Q7 TDI so we've got the family hauler already taken care of. I've been looking at a BMW M235i (maybe stretch for an M2), Audi S3, Mini Cooper S Clubman, and the Focus RS. At this point I'm leaning towards the M235i with AWD.

My fear is daily driving a decent sports car could take away some of the enjoyment of driving the 991 on the weekends. A couple of my friends are convinced I should get a Jeep Wrangler or a Toyota Tacoma for something completely different. But I'm not a fan of SUVs and Trucks although having a pickup would be useful from time to time.

Any suggestions? I've also thought about getting a 996 C4S and throwing some snow tires on it and using that as a DD. But I would prefer a newer car with a warranty so I'm not worrying about a bunch of unexpected repairs.
I understand your fear. I had a Ferrari 430 and Mini Cooper S at the same time. The Mini stole my heart. I drove it everywhere including on Ferrari drives. I sold the Ferrari ... bought a GT3... and continued to drive the Mini. Eventually I had to sell the Mini. I live in Colorado too and the lack of AWD on the Mini became a problem. Bought an SUV for the snow. I have 2016 C2 now and I'm back on the look out for DD. I've narrowed it down to the GTI and Focus RS.
Old 07-05-2016, 03:38 PM
manitou202
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ispool
Prius is my DD. I cry tears of joy every time I get in my C2S....nothing feels better than going from a slow CVT to a rocket 7MT
This feeling is why I'm hesitant to get a fast DD. I like having the huge difference in performance. I'm worried that the 991 won't feel as fast and exciting if my daily driver (at least on the street) feels nearly as fast. But the rare day that I drive my 991 to work, I wish my DD wasn't so boring. Back in the day before I could afford a 991, I had one car to try and meet all of my wants. I had every thing from an STI, a GTI, to a BMW M Coupe. Now my DD feels too much like a utility, so I want the daily dose of excitement.

The smartest thing would probably be to DD my 991 C4S, but I don't think I could stomach driving it in all of the gravel during the winter and risking the big hail storms during the summer. Hopefully if I test drive some of these in the next couple of months I will get a better sense, and maybe the gap will feel bigger than I'm anticipating. If not, then maybe leaning towards something fun but maintains the bigger gap like the Mini Cooper.
Old 07-05-2016, 03:40 PM
manitou202
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by n2cars
I understand your fear. I had a Ferrari 430 and Mini Cooper S at the same time. The Mini stole my heart. I drove it everywhere including on Ferrari drives. I sold the Ferrari ...
Dammit. This isn't helping.
Old 07-05-2016, 03:41 PM
GTS Daddy
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm here in CO as well. I'd strongly suggest the Audi S3. If that's too much try the A3 on for size. It's like an AWD GTI w/performance pack in Audi guise. Both are compliant enough to juxtapose against the 911 but engaging enough to enjoy.
Old 07-05-2016, 03:47 PM
gmgracing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 436 Likes on 260 Posts

I had a good talk with Tim Suddard about the M235i shortly after it's unveiling. He mentioned at the time that it was his favorite BMW since the z3 m-coupe, and that he ended up ordering one right after driving one of the press cars around. That was high-praise.

Having driven both, I don't think it would take away from your 991. There is certainly a sense of occasion when driving the 991 that you don't get with the bimmer.

sales@gmgracing.com
www.gmgracing.com

facebook l instagram l youtube l twitter

Porsche | Audi | Ferrari | Lamborghini | McLaren
Performance Tuning | Motorsport | Factory Service

Pirelli World Challege Race Team GT/GTA/GTS/TC
Pirelli GT3 Cup Trophy USA
Porsche Motorsport — Audi Sport Customer Racing — Lamborghini Super Trofeo Series
Old 07-05-2016, 04:02 PM
Peruna
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by GTS Daddy
I'm here in CO as well. I'd strongly suggest the Audi S3. If that's too much try the A3 on for size. It's like an AWD GTI w/performance pack in Audi guise. Both are compliant enough to juxtapose against the 911 but engaging enough to enjoy.
This - as slow as the Prius is, it suits my DD needs perfectly and is very practical. I had an A3 Quattro for a loaner, put about 500 miles on it and loved it. I wouldn't hesitate to lease one, especially if I lived somewhere like CO where AWD is a necessity.
Old 07-05-2016, 04:48 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 327 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by manitou202
The smartest thing would probably be to DD my 991 C4S.
^^^^ Agree. Why settle? Your 991 will depreciate either way..... you may as well be driving it. Life's too short, enjoy every mile.
Old 07-05-2016, 04:54 PM
Harsany
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 40 Posts

Well.....I didnt think this would happen to me, but I recently bought a Macan S for my DD. It by no means is the vehicle my 911s is, but I have not been driving my 911 as much lately. The Macan is fun and easy to peel around the city.
Old 07-05-2016, 05:52 PM
Madmac
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cayman 987S is my alternate car. Different driving experience to the 911, buy I get to drive a P car everyday. Life's short, enjoy it.
Old 07-05-2016, 06:26 PM
ggreg911
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 89 Posts

I dd a 15 M3 and I still get a big smile on my face when I get into my 911. The 911 is a special car that never gets old.

Quick Reply: Does a fun daily driver take away from your 911?