Sponsored by:

Problems with My CPO Car

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 08:12 PM
ForbiddenRooster
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Problems with My CPO Car

I bought a 2012 CPO 2CS in April. Before purchasing the car, I noticed a 6" scratch on the hood. The SA assured me the car had its original paint (yes, my fault for trusting him) but told me they would repaint the hood if they could not buff it out. While I preferred it be buffed, I was ok with a repaint so I bought the car.

When I got home, I realized that the hood/bumper had already been repainted (and not very well - it looked great in the sun but not so much in my garage with good lighting). I told the SA that they might as well just repaint it. Well, they have repainted the hood twice and it looks pretty bad (e.g. wavy, sand marks under clear coat, and even the emblem is on crooked). Also, they will not tell me who has done the paint work.

I am not sure what to do next. Is there any way to have Porsche get involved since this is a CPO? Are there regional reps in the DC area? There were also a number of other issues with the car that weren't listed on the CPO checklist which leads me to believe this dealership short cuts the CPO process. For example, the car had a broken lens on the sport chrono (which the SA said they would replace in writing) and a ripped seat (which was masked by a bad sew job). It took me until this month to get them to replace it and they finally took one off another CPO car and put the broken one on that one $95K vehicle.

This is probably just an expensive lesson learned. At least the car is a joy to drive. All they have offered so far is $2k additional on my trade in value which is $10k lower than purchase price. Advice?
Old 08-19-2016, 08:57 PM
FiveRiversGTS
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Contact PCNA. Keep detailed records of all your problems. Document all your interactions with the dealer. Continue to call PCNA until your happy. Just my opinion. Good Luck.
Old 08-19-2016, 09:00 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

I don't think a CPO can be repainted... Am I wrong?
Old 08-19-2016, 09:14 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Old 08-19-2016, 09:52 PM
bmxtreme
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The seats wear are not part of the CPO replacement.
Old 08-19-2016, 11:55 PM
alikhan78
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The sand like texture may be orange peal which typically occurs with poor paint jobs. A lot of times dealers will hire mobile repair guys for removing road rash from rims, quick paint work, windshield repair, etc. The paint guys make the car look good enough to be sold but under scrutiny you'll start noticing the imperfections. If you don't want to repaint the hood, worst case if they sprayed over existing paint, the paint may eventually start to peal.

I personally would go to a reputable body shop and ask them to examine and provide a quote to repaint the hood. At that time you can also have them look for any other paint related issues on the car. The estimate they give you can be used to further adjust the purchase / trade in price.
Old 08-20-2016, 09:58 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,402 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Originally Posted by ForbiddenRooster
For example, the car had a broken lens on the sport chrono
Strange, how the heck does one break a SC lens?
Old 08-20-2016, 02:20 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Obviously, you never had my ex-wife in the car with you.
Old 08-20-2016, 02:31 PM
ForbiddenRooster
Advanced

I can't imagine either. I am hoping someone was just mad vs somehow cracking in an accident. When I told the sales associated that I knew they just put my broken chrono on another vehicle, he thought for a second and then told me that he just remembered they had 2 with the same problem. I said, really, what are the odds of two vehicles with the same odd issue and crack of the exact size and in exact position? Anyway, I sent multiple emails to PCNA including Andrew Pine. Hopefully I get somewhere.
Old 08-20-2016, 02:34 PM
ForbiddenRooster
Advanced

Originally Posted by STG
They are, of course, claiming all panel paint repairs were due to rock chips and not a collision because of the clean carfax history. The way the standard reads, it sounds like the number of panel limitation only kicks in with a collision. Am I reading this correctly?

I also wish I new of this forum and your HFS thread before purchase.
Old 08-20-2016, 02:36 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,402 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Originally Posted by 991carreradriver
Obviously, you never had my ex-wife in the car with you.
In all fairness, she never told me she was married!
Old 08-20-2016, 02:52 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by ForbiddenRooster
They are, of course, claiming all panel paint repairs were due to rock chips and not a collision because of the clean carfax history. The way the standard reads, it sounds like the number of panel limitation only kicks in with a collision. Am I reading this correctly?

I also wish I new of this forum and your HFS thread before purchase.

I think the panel limitation applies whether an accident or not. That's to initially certify.

Yes, many find forums after the fact. HFS and Rennlist is a great resource.
Old 08-20-2016, 03:21 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

In all fairness, she never told me she was married!
Never would have happened in a PDK cab... So many more options... Pics of stilettos?
Old 08-20-2016, 06:43 PM
bmxtreme
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Radar detector suction cup got loose and unfortunately swung and hit the glass i suppose. That's why i permanently mount the radar or in my previous car, loop a zip tie around the rear view mirror and radar so that it won't fly around when it got loose.
Old 08-26-2016, 10:31 AM
ForbiddenRooster
Advanced

Originally Posted by STG
PCNA initially confirmed the 2 panel standard but just told me today that the CPO checklist was changed to 3 panels. I asked them when, but haven't got a date yet. So far, this is the worst car buying experience ever. I just found out that they did not have my car painted at their shop. They farmed it out to a cheaper place without telling me. Also, I cannot locate the name they gave me for the body shop. Not good. The paint will probably last a few months. I'd post a review of the dealer, but current google reviews state that they were refused service after posting.

Quick Reply: Problems with My CPO Car