Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I know, Strange topic but the 991 has no leather smell.

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2016 | 05:19 PM
Shawn C
Racer

This thread got interesting quickly lol. I might actually do the leather scraps thing lol.
Old 08-22-2016 | 09:12 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

The outgoing 997 still smelled of leather the day I let her go. The 18 month gts never had that new car smell I was a custom too. It still smells new but in some funny kind of way. Can't pin point it but it's still all good.
Old 08-23-2016 | 08:42 AM
PBRyan52
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 997s07
Lol, thanks. Vector boson fusion to produce the Higgs. These look like quantum 'dots.' No?
I got the Higgs production.
Old 08-23-2016 | 08:43 AM
PBRyan52
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
Dissociator bulb in an H-maser.
I did not get this one. I just liked the colors.
Old 08-23-2016 | 09:43 AM
mtony
Pro

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
^^^ Hmmmm... I have full leather as well (8,000 miles, 18 months) and NEVER thought the car smelled like leather, at least not like the leather smell in previous Porsches I've owned or BMW/MB. So maybe the smell you are calling "leather smell" and the smell I call "leather smell" are two different things. My car still has a new car smell (diminished since new, of course). But it doesn't smell like leather used to to me.
That's because every time I see your car, the door is open!
Old 08-23-2016 | 09:50 AM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Shawn C
This thread got interesting quickly lol. I might actually do the leather scraps thing lol.

You can start by simply buying a bag of " jacket leather " scraps on Amazon . Some lots may smell of nice leather and the next bagful may smell like Crayola Crayons if they have tossed in some suede too ..YMMV , but for 10 bucks a pop , it is worth a couple tries !

Climbing in the car on a hot day and this " tunable " aroma is heady .

My BEST solution was putting my dad's 75 yr old WW2 era bomber jacket in the back seat ...but it was way too valuable in all respects for that purpose but was how I came up with the " no invites to smash and grab thieving eyes " idea for using scraps/ remnants .

Last edited by MKW; 08-23-2016 at 10:11 AM.
Old 08-23-2016 | 02:47 PM
Scottish Pete
Racer

So that is what that passenger side storage net option is for . . . . aromic leather scraps!

My 2015 C2S with full leather option did not have a distinct "leather" smell to me either, until I later sat in a standard 991 interior at the dealership. Much more vinyl-like smell that is totally absent in my leather option 991.1.
I do get a faint leather smell when I first enter my car. No where near the "new baseball glove" smell of the leather seats only option in my 1974 911; but when I re-upholstered my 1974 seats with leather replacement from highly recommended Autos International in the early 1990's, their premium leather no longer had the strong baseball glove smell.
I guess even nice smells can hurt us.
Old 02-22-2020 | 07:27 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

My better half loved the 986s we had, and all Porsches up to the 987/997 era. Then something in the interiors had a scent that bothered her...quite a bit. Probably a glue smell, but I'm largely smell deaf. I haven't seen anyone else address the "adhesive" smell in late-model Porsches, so I figured it was my freakish luck of the draw. Some experimentation suggests it may be the 987/997/981/991/982 "sofa" seats (by Lear?), but no confirmation so far.
Old 02-23-2020 | 12:07 PM
chekraze
Racer

Originally Posted by vjd3
Ever sat in a Ferrari? It's awesome. Maseratis with full leather smell good, too. Newer Porsches just smell like new cars to me.

I have never really got the aroma of great leather out of a 911, even back in my aircooled days (had an 87 930 Turbo with full marine blue leather), it was still more that characteristic oil/Porsche smell, which was also great. I did catch a ride once in an older 928 that smelled just like a baseball glove, pretty great.

I've toyed with getting a nice big piece of leather and stuffing it under the seats. There is no substitute
You kind of nailed it at least to me. I was at the Ferrari dealer and there was a used 458 spider in the show room with the top open and windows were up. I was awkwardly peering over while sticking my head downward into the cabin and a charming young lady came up and asked if she could grab a set of keys for me so I could hop in the car and I said to her “no, I just want to smell the interior”. She got a good laugh out of it but if you ever want a smell check go near the interior of one of these and you’ll see what a leather interior should smell like. How do they do it?

I don’t own a Ferrari and I’m not planning on buying one in the near future. but I am shopping for a 991.1 GTS and sure wish the interior smell was even a fraction of what the Ferrari is. I have test driven several 991s with different grades of leather (even full natural) and haven’t found a single one that has a good interior smell. At the dealer I’ve sat inside some new Panameras that so smell terrific and maybe those have that semi aniline leather
Old 02-23-2020 | 12:10 PM
chekraze
Racer

Originally Posted by MKW
forget fake " leather aroma " sprays --I've requested -and gotten for free -scraps ( otherwise tossed ) from high end leather goods makers , placed a few at a time in a nylon mesh bag tossed in rear footwell and enjoyed that heady aroma of a high end leather bags/ purses/ jackets boutique in my cars
Brilliant. Can you please pm me some names of some of these shops I can contact?

Quick Reply: I know, Strange topic but the 991 has no leather smell.