spaghettiab
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Thundertub.
Old 10-16-2016, 02:09 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 853 Likes on 468 Posts

I just did the plastic trim removal only to discover my 2013 Carrera has the older door setup...ughh...should have had it done in July when my car had to get both doors replaced due to separation of the trim under warranty. Guess I got to wait until I upgrade to the GT3 mirrors and have them do it then as they'll need to take the panels off to gain access then. I could do it myself as I did install an idrive upgrade into my e92 M3 back in 2009...that required taking apart half the dash and some pin re-arrangement but just don't want to take that one now this time.

We'll see...would be interesting in hearing from anyone else who's done the retrofit on the older cars/model.
Old 10-16-2016, 07:27 AM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 88 Posts

I installed the AWE wind buffeting spoilers in my 2013 C2S, and yes I had to take the doors apart. I dreaded it and stared at the parts sitting on my desk for over a week. Finally I dove in, piece of cake The AWE instructions were great, first door (passenger) took about 15 minutes due to the exploration of proper disassembly and reassembly, the second door took less than 10 minutes. That's total time from regular operational door back to regular operational door. Much easier than I was dreading it to be.
Old 10-16-2016, 10:12 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 673 Likes on 359 Posts

My son and I did this together and it was a snap... probably less than a half hour for both and like Jabs side most of that was due to uncertainty one the first side. With two people it becomes even easier than they tell you in the instructions and here's why:

This way you don't need to remove the door handle cables or disconnect any of the door electrical other than that first airbag connector and that one has a simple latch. Once the bolts are out, just lift up the door panel, keep it close to its correct position so as not to pull on the door cable or other electrical and tilt the front edge down so that the second person can unscrew the original plastic V piece and put the new one in place. If you've pre-attached the little plastic tabs then that step takes less than a minute.

Then lift the door panel back into place, pull it down so the tabs engage, reconnect the airbag, put the four bolts back, snap the trim back on, and you are done.

They work very nicely and look just fine. I'm very glad I did this.
Old 11-05-2019, 03:05 AM
nzjono
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cant you just use 3M adhesive tape and tape the AWE ones on anyway?
Old 11-05-2019, 07:01 AM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by nzjono
Why would you?

OP contains a lot of disinformation and FUD. You can install the harder ones in twenty minutes with a torx bit and a credit card. Nothing needs to be disconnected, just the door card pulled back a bit.
Old 11-05-2019, 12:01 PM
thesaintusa
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 294 Posts

FWIW, I have the Blackmills, and can report that they work as designed.

I suspect any 'deflector' will help, how much depends on their design.

Very happy with what I have.

Agree the AWE look nicer, but read that the Blackmills offer better results. Might have to spruce the ones I have up a bit.
The following users liked this post:
spyderbret (11-05-2019)
Old 11-05-2019, 01:55 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,460 Likes on 2,361 Posts

Originally Posted by 911passion
I'm sure it is posted somewhere, but how early is early? I have a june 2013... Thanks!
Search this forum on wind diffuser - there a LOT of threads and discussions about these.
Old 11-05-2019, 06:44 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 281 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by nzjono
That was my hope too, but nope. I even thought of "dremeling" the inside of it and try anyway, but the AWE triangles are *exactly* the same size as the piece you'd glue them over so that won't work. In fact I wish AWE went that route instead of those 2 options, and made it a cap-style piece. Would be so much simpler and no worse if made properly, honestly.

I also found out later I have the invisible screw, my bad for not looking before buying, gave my kid the lollipop, and decided not to $%$% with the door panels because they already came off 3 times (1x for warpage replacement and 2x for post replacement noise reduction), and I don't want to pick up another vibration that was not there before. Sure some here have done a good job, mine are prone to vibrating so I'm not risking it for a piece of plastic. The blackmill piece just doesn't look great to me, with a shinier metal finish, they stand out. I won't return the AWE since the lollipop is eaten, so I still may try to hack them (maybe a clean cut near the edge and glue it on - will probably look like crap ;-) That would be a super project for a 3D printing job - making a simple cap with a bigger bend like the blackmill but in plastic.
Old 11-05-2019, 06:52 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,061 Likes on 533 Posts

Ive used the AWE ones in both my 911's. I did not have to remove my door to install them. I dont care for the mounting style though. The double screw and elbow just seem flimsy.

Ive had spoilers taped to my M3's 4 times now (industrial 3m, auto grade) and not one of them moved or flew off at any speed. Based on that, I will most likely try these next time. Simple tape on and they might do a better job than the AWE's since they seem to angle out more. I have no real life experience with them. So I dont know. But auto grade 3M tape holds just fine.

https://www.fabspeed.com/blackmill-p...iABEgL8AfD_BwE
Old 11-05-2019, 07:02 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,460 Likes on 2,361 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg D.
That was my hope too, but nope. I even thought of "dremeling" the inside of it and try anyway, but the AWE triangles are *exactly* the same size as the piece you'd glue them over so that won't work. In fact I wish AWE went that route instead of those 2 options, and made it a cap-style piece. Would be so much simpler and no worse if made properly, honestly.

I also found out later I have the invisible screw, my bad for not looking before buying, gave my kid the lollipop, and decided not to $%$% with the door panels because they already came off 3 times (1x for warpage replacement and 2x for post replacement noise reduction), and I don't want to pick up another vibration that was not there before. Sure some here have done a good job, mine are prone to vibrating so I'm not risking it for a piece of plastic. The blackmill piece just doesn't look great to me, with a shinier metal finish, they stand out. I won't return the AWE since the lollipop is eaten, so I still may try to hack them (maybe a clean cut near the edge and glue it on - will probably look like crap ;-) That would be a super project for a 3D printing job - making a simple cap with a bigger bend like the blackmill but in plastic.
Get a rattle can of flat black if you want them to not stand out as much, but AWEs look much better and work well enough.

Quick Reply: Wind Buffeting (one more time)