Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel and Tire Insurance guidance (again)

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 10:33 PM
diononiz
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Wheel and Tire Insurance guidance (again)

All,
I read through the previous post on wheel/tire insurance but was hoping anyone had some recent experiences with the Porsche branded insurance. I was quote 895 for 2 years and 995 for 3 years. I am going Friday to finalize the paperwork and take delivery. Do you guys/gals think it is worth it? Why or why not.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-18-2016, 10:36 PM
vivekg
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I forgot how much mine was, will look it up. But I think it has half-way paid itself already. My tire developed a leak after 3 months and it was replaced no questions asked. Lots of construction here in Massachusetts in the summers, pot holes all winter, so I think it was worth it for me.
Old 07-18-2016, 10:42 PM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool

For me, it was worth every penny. I had a "bad month" about a year ago. Replaced 3 rear tires in one 30-day period. Since I have 305 PZero's on the rear, the insurance was a good choice.

The bigger the tires, the more likely you are to pick something up.
Old 07-18-2016, 10:45 PM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Received 180 Likes on 95 Posts

My insurance covers wheel and tire damage from road debris and road imperfections. Curb rash not covered. 5 year plan for $1200 and no limit. I paid in full during purchase. Used it once in 10 months for one rear worth $500.
Old 07-19-2016, 01:09 AM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Do any of these policies cover curb rash? My inbound wheels are factory painted.
Old 07-19-2016, 01:38 AM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,191 Likes on 574 Posts

I got the tire and rim insurance from the Porsche dealership for my GTS. I have already replaced one Pirelli P-zero tire ($500 value) and at the same time, the rim guy buffed out some rim scuffs on my back-right tire (not sure what that would have cost). I believe my insurance was $1500 for the duration of my three year lease. Although it has not yet paid for itself, it has only been 8 months and having already gone through one tire, I am glad that I took the plunge.
Old 07-19-2016, 01:39 AM
diononiz
Instructor

My understanding is they do cover "curb rash" Here are the details I received from the dealer

Old 07-19-2016, 08:58 AM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Received 180 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by diononiz
My understanding is they do cover "curb rash" Here are the details I received from the dealer
I went with a non porsche 3rd party that the dealer was selling.
Old 07-19-2016, 11:10 AM
smichael
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

And only Porsche issued insurance will replace the tire even if you only got a nail in it. All others would expect you just to plug it.
Old 07-19-2016, 11:38 AM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

All of the opinions I got said to get it so I did. It's part of my lease payment and still within my budget.

I knew I was going to turn this vehicle in at end of lease. Decided I would rather pay a few bucks a month more than take a chance of damaging a wheel and paying a couple grand to get it fixed just to give the car back to the dealer.

On my next Porsche that I plan to keep I might skip the insurance. If I damage a wheel I might use that as an excuse to jump into an aftermarket set of wheels.
Old 07-19-2016, 11:49 AM
bmedude
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 37 Posts

I paid about $1800 for five years of coverage. My personal opinion on this.

1. If I self insure myself, I won't get a loaner car when I screw up.
2. If I self insure myself, I have to order the tire or rim myself
3. If I self insure myself, the shop may not have road force machines
4. If I self insure myself, and Joe Shmoe tire shop screws up, it's an even bigger pain in the ***.

One rim will easily cost $1500. One tire is around 500 mounted and road force balanced.

I'll give them my 1800 donation and if I screw up, I won't have anything to worry about.
The following 2 users liked this post by bmedude:
anthonyf202 (07-17-2020), cryptical1200 (08-28-2019)
Old 07-19-2016, 11:57 AM
diononiz
Instructor

Originally Posted by bmedude

4. If I self insure myself, and Joe Shmoe tire shop screws up, it's an even bigger pain in the ***.

One rim will easily cost $1500. One tire is around 500 mounted and road force balanced.

I'll give them my 1800 donation and if I screw up, I won't have anything to worry about.
Can you confirm that the Porsche tire and wheel will offer a loaner car while the car is getting repaired for "cosmetic" work?
Old 07-19-2016, 12:17 PM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

The Porsche dealer provided me with a free Porsche loaner each time I had a puncture on my car. The general rule is if your service is over $500, you get a loaner. Tire, replace, mount, balance... easily over $500 per corner these days with a quality tire (Pirelli, Michelin). If the damaged tire has some miles on it, you are supposed to replace them in pairs (though the second tire is not included in the replacement insurance).
Old 07-19-2016, 12:39 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by bmedude

I need to keep my mouth shut so that I don't jinx myself, but I have had 4 new 911's since 2007. On those four cars, I have had to replace one rear tire because of road hazard damage. Cost was less than $500.00, including labor, done at my local Porsche dealer. If I had paid $1,800 for the insurance on each car, I would have spent $7,200 on insurance to cover a $500.00 expense for the one tire.

These policies are like all insurance. The odds favor the insurance company, or they would be out of business. Regarding your points, 2, 3, 4, you can eliminate all of those if you use your Porsche dealer for tire replacement. I am assuming that is who you would use with your insurance. My dealer will match Tire Rack prices and usually has the tires in stock. If not, he can get them in 2-3 days.
Old 07-19-2016, 01:43 PM
kwikit356
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 65 Posts

I have never even considered tire/wheel insurance until I bought the GTS with CL wheels. This time I bought it, mainly because of thinking about the expense of replacing a CL wheel. I think it was about $1,200 and covers 5 years. No wheel issue yet, but in 7,500 total miles I have had to replace two right rear 305 Pirelli P Zeros. The rear tires especially, are very wide. One tech said that being quite sticky helps the nails, etc get a good grip on the tire. Kinda like the damn tics. Or the leeches I recall only too well from four decades ago. Yuk!

One point to consider, whether you purchase the insurance or not, is that many of these insurance policies will not cover replacement of the TPMS unit. If you have to use the "Goop" to keep going, you have ruined the TPMS. If at all possible, I guess it's a better idea to just call Porsche and have the car put on a flat bed.

Quick Reply: Wheel and Tire Insurance guidance (again)