Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel and Tire Insurance guidance (again)

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2019, 01:51 PM
jimmymoO
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by tango131
to each their own, but tire insurance for $1k seems like madness. a patch is $15 and works just fine ... I had 3 of them in different tires and tracked the car several times with no issues, which is OK per the chief Chicago region DE instructor (now plugs are a no no). A new rear pzero N0 is about $337 and a MPSS about $380 from tirerack, which come with free tire insurance for 2 years = get a nail and get a free tire. just my .2...
I'm in the same boat. My driver rear had 2 nails in 2 different incident. Both were removed and patched. Total costed me $30 bucks for the 2 incidents. So far I did not have any major issues. I have not tracked the car with patched tires, but supposedly the shop said it should be no problem.

I think if I were driving in NY, Boston, or somewhere that are known to have bad roads I would probably get the insurance to protect myself. But since I live in CA, for the most part it's NOT that bad just have to be cautious.
Old 08-27-2019, 09:32 PM
SeaMatt
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Klepper
This is my thinking and experience exactly. I have bought 5 new cars in the last 10 years. If I had bought the tire/wheel insurance, I would have paid out almost $9,000! In that time, I have had to buy 3 new tires due to flat's/road debris for about $1200. That's easy math for me. I don't understand when some people say, "I paid $1800 for the insurance, and I had a flat that would have cost me $500 to repair - I am glad I got the insurance!" - Actually, you would still need at least 2 more tires repaired before you are even break even, and 3 more to be ahead.

The dealers push these insurance packages for one reason - they make a ton of money on them as the statistics favor the dealer.
Of course, I jinxed myself. Got a flat today. Third this year due to the crazy construction and potholes in Seattle. Haven't had to worry about any wheels since they were all in my SUV but on a Porsche, that may be a different outcome.
Old 02-11-2020, 03:39 PM
Raaj Arumugam
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi SeaMatt:

Can you please let me know which dealer in Kentucky is offering that price.
Please email me the details: meetraaj@yahoo.com
THanks.,
Old 02-11-2020, 05:19 PM
sr5959
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts

I got insurance for about $100 when I bought my tires from Discount Tire. It doesn't cover the wheels but I think damaging wheels is not that common.

Old 02-11-2020, 06:10 PM
Klepper
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by sr5959
I got insurance for about $100 when I bought my tires from Discount Tire. It doesn't cover the wheels but I think damaging wheels is not that common.
I did this as well. When I stopped at Discount to get a nail puncture fixed (which they couldn't, so had to get a new tire), they asked if I wanted insurance "certificates" on all the tires. It was about $200, but covers the tires for their whole life (not a fixed amount of time). It didn't matter that I didn't buy the tires from them. Seemed like a great deal, so I went for it.
Old 02-11-2020, 06:33 PM
phefner
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 421 Posts

Got the 3 yr policy here. 20 months into my 991.1 and I’ve replace 2 tires: first, after we ran over a bumper on the highway and the drivers front sidewall got crushed; second, nail in rear; and had the passenger rear wheel refinished when I slap the side of a curb avoiding some dip**** who came spinning into my lane. Fortunately no additional damage after an extensive inspection.

Replacement costs still a little under insurance premium, but time is in my side.

Old 02-12-2020, 01:59 PM
freeman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I have had multiple experiences after buying new 911's 993's and new 991's. For some strange reason, tire and wheel insurance was never available to me from PCNA when I purchased a new Porsche from a dealer.. Moreover, it was never offered after the purchase. The salesman became rude and defensive when I approached him to purchase wheel and tire insurance and he said it was not available..
Please take care when you purchase a new Porsche

Quick Reply: Wheel and Tire Insurance guidance (again)