Sponsored by:

1st Oil Change dufus

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 06:42 AM
satoru
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 1st Oil Change dufus

Alright 1000 miles let's change the oil. Got the kit from SCP, oil from sale at OAP M1 0-40w. Ok, read all the DIY's a bunch of times on more than a few fourms, all good. Ramps, check. Got everything...let's begin. Everything goes as planned. Ready to fill...funnel install ok looks good until I start to pour. Hear some kind of dripping under car...WTH??? So when I was pouring, seems like it was going down pretty quick...duh!!! Oil was coming out from between the funnel and the oil fill where the cutouts are for the tabs on the cap. Yupppp oil spillage...straight down to the headers

Anyways got that cleaned up, wiped and sprayed cleaner everywhere. Did the put 8qt's first then did the oil level check. No reading...omg what did I do now starting to feel a little panic, sun is goin down getting late gotta make dinner wife and kids are hungry. Totally forgot about the 200 deg. no reading til then thing. Ran the thing around town a bit...199 deg and no reading...200 deg yessssss!!!
After returning from getting reading, got the oil level good but wanted to add just a bit more. Went from 3 green boxes from the top to 1 green after adding only 1/2 quart more eek thought I had overfilled-lol. Anyways that's my rant for the evening, just had to vent a bit.

Forgot to mention, was a bit hard installing the filter and was wondering if it is always like that.

Thanks for reading.
Old 06-08-2016, 06:46 AM
bmedude
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 37 Posts

I remember the good old days where I used to change my oil without having to worry about messing something up....
Old 06-08-2016, 09:09 AM
Duke I
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Oil fill tub is pretty narrow; do not attempt to fill too fast. Always have to shimmy the filter in. No dipstick is very annoying! Will go smoothly for you next time.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:30 AM
997s07
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by satoru
Alright 1000 miles let's change the oil. Got the kit from SCP, oil from sale at OAP M1 0-40w. Ok, read all the DIY's a bunch of times on more than a few fourms, all good. Ramps, check. Got everything...let's begin. Everything goes as planned. Ready to fill...funnel install ok looks good until I start to pour. Hear some kind of dripping under car...WTH??? So when I was pouring, seems like it was going down pretty quick...duh!!! Oil was coming out from between the funnel and the oil fill where the cutouts are for the tabs on the cap. Yupppp oil spillage...straight down to the headers

Anyways got that cleaned up, wiped and sprayed cleaner everywhere. Did the put 8qt's first then did the oil level check. No reading...omg what did I do now starting to feel a little panic, sun is goin down getting late gotta make dinner wife and kids are hungry. Totally forgot about the 200 deg. no reading til then thing. Ran the thing around town a bit...199 deg and no reading...200 deg yessssss!!!
After returning from getting reading, got the oil level good but wanted to add just a bit more. Went from 3 green boxes from the top to 1 green after adding only 1/2 quart more eek thought I had overfilled-lol. Anyways that's my rant for the evening, just had to vent a bit.

Forgot to mention, was a bit hard installing the filter and was wondering if it is always like that.

Thanks for reading.
Thanks for this rant. I'll be trying an oil change once I get home on Friday.
Old 06-08-2016, 11:51 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 856 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by satoru

Thanks for reading.
Please explain a little better. What was the difficulty?

Was there something in the way of going straight in?
Old 06-08-2016, 12:17 PM
satoru
Racer

Originally Posted by CSK 911 C4S

The funnel that I used did have a large opening so the amount of oil that I was pouring in from the gallon of Mobil 1 was faster than the hole on the car side. Looked like the size of a nickel while the funnel opening was about the size of just larger than a quarter. Just poured too fast that's all If you look down into the filler hole you can see the size at the bottom.

Usually I am super careful on doin stuff but...you know how that goes
Old 06-08-2016, 08:39 PM
satoru
Racer

Originally Posted by CSK 911 C4S

Sorry, read wrong...my bad.

Filter was super tight goin on inside the housing. Thought I might have had the wrong part. Had to take a look at the old one, then I figured it out. The surface that the filter is installed is made of a stiff almost like felt cloth type material. The part inside the filter housing that the filter fits on is very thght which makes the filter seem like it won't fit. What I did was "fold" the excess material inwards all around the filter hole. Then kinda "rocked" the filter back and fourth with one hand while pushing down. Finally got it on, was not expecting it go on that tight. Did not want to crush the filter either. Not really a big deal but being it was my first time it did kinda surprise me.
Old 06-09-2016, 02:26 AM
drsubie
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah, I just did my 1st DIY oil change, and the filter opening had to be manipulated on (thought I had the wrong sized filter for a sec)...also, it was a pain to get the oil filter cap onto the filter--the 'trunk release' cable is in the way...
Old 06-09-2016, 05:47 AM
satoru
Racer

Originally Posted by drsubie
yeah, I just did my 1st DIY oil change, and the filter opening had to be manipulated on (thought I had the wrong sized filter for a sec)...also, it was a pain to get the oil filter cap onto the filter--the 'trunk release' cable is in the way...
Yessss...forgot to mention bout that

I did on removal of filter separate the cover from the filter then found the best way to take out cover then removed the filter last. Cable still in the way...lol
Old 06-10-2016, 10:28 PM
997s07
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just finished my first DIY oil change. It wasn't easy, but it wasn't hard. Went slow with the oil and no leaks. Pretty simple to perform. Removing the intake was not very smooth, hopefully the second time it will go better. Enjoyed seeing some parts of the engine. All in all, it took me about one hour to get this done, how local dealers charge upwards of $300-$400 is beyond my cynicism.

Last edited by 997s07; 06-10-2016 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 06-11-2016, 01:31 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Yeah I love how you have to drive the car around for a long time to get up to temperature to find out whether or not you just blew up your engine by driving it around with too little or too much oil. Great plan.
Old 06-11-2016, 02:17 PM
stealthboy
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Just did my oil change today. $80 in parts including 0-W40 oil. Not bad!
Old 06-11-2016, 02:54 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 304 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Dewinator
Yeah I love how you have to drive the car around for a long time to get up to temperature to find out whether or not you just blew up your engine by driving it around with too little or too much oil. Great plan.
I'd like to know how the P technicians get around this if you have it done at the dealership.
Jim
Old 06-11-2016, 11:46 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 856 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by 96redLT4
I'd like to know how the P technicians get around this if you have it done at the dealership.
Jim
I believe with their computer attached they can read the level instantly.
Old 06-12-2016, 09:32 AM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by stealthboy
Just did my oil change today. $80 in parts including 0-W40 oil. Not bad!
You overpaid, cost me $65. Walmart had a 5 qt special for $22.48.

Quick Reply: 1st Oil Change dufus