Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT SPORT .2 Frankenwheel transplant to .1 C2S PDK

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 05:56 AM
thigobr
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

What about manual cars? Is it possible to retrofit a non-multifunction heated GT Sport steering wheel to a 991.1?

https://www.suncoastparts.com/mm5/me...ode=991LEAG2GT
This one has 360mm diameter, is it smaller than the OEM Sport Design 991.1 steering wheel?

My car has the base non-MF heated wheel currently.
Old 09-25-2018, 12:03 AM
kimchee411
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anybody know what the deal is with this teal colored airbag connector? A couple years ago I bought a Macan airbag on eBay and got this, which did not fit my steering wheel harness.

The seller replaced it with an airbag with the correct brown connector (and genuine leather cover to boot), which is the one on all 4 Sport/GT Sport steering wheels I've had:

Fast forward to a few weeks ago when I ordered a new GT Sport wheel for another car. I bought another airbag on eBay and got this:

It appears to be the same connector as the first photo but with the top part broken off and a slit cut in it. The seller insisted I just try to connect and it should fit. It did... with a bit of force to squeeze it through that slit. I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure there's a damn good reason they are different shapes and colors! Back it went.

Interestingly the silver ring on the cover had a matte finish and not the usually chrome look. The part number was 982-880-201-B-5Q0. It also appears to have a leatherette steering wheel, which i've never seen before. I found one photo of a similar airbag in a pre-release article about the 718 Boxster.

Anyway, I tried two other sellers and got airbags with PLASTIC covers, not matching the photos in the ads. Both ads stated shipping from the US (different locations) and both arrived from the same the same individual in London, GB.

Moral of the story is there's some very sketchy second hand airbags floating around out there now! I just ordered from a dealer.

But I'm still curious what the teal connector means. I'm guessing it's for some foreign market? Perhaps single stage vs. dual stage airbag?

Last edited by kimchee411; 09-25-2018 at 08:44 PM.
Old 12-14-2018, 05:22 PM
flgfish
Pro

Received 162 Likes on 99 Posts

Thought I'd post in here. I just had the same experience with airbag. Ebay pictures show a bag with the brown connector, and I got one with a modified teal connector, exactly like above.

The teal connector one is going back. It's part number 982-880-201-B-5Q0 if that helps. Seems to have come out of a Boxster or Cayman.
Old 12-14-2018, 05:27 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

ONLY buy airbags from a Porsche dealer. Not worth the drama, scams, fakes, refurbished, etc. don't skimp on airbags.
Old 12-14-2018, 05:34 PM
flgfish
Pro

Received 162 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
ONLY buy airbags from a Porsche dealer. Not worth the drama, scams, fakes, refurbished, etc. don't skimp on airbags.
Eh, a part is a part is a part. I'm not concerned about it not working, if it's in good shape and the correct part. Saving $500+ is nothing to sneeze at. But, this one certainly won't be installed. It's going back. The teal connector is the connector used on the 991.1 wheels; I imagine these 991.2 style airbags with the teal connectors were very early production models.
Old 12-15-2018, 10:15 AM
stealthpilot
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
I'm inclined to agree and I bought mine from an authorized parts dealer but that said Porsche actually has a system check built into the car and airbag.

So in principle if there is a problem with the airbag it should know. Of course there is a risk that the forger also fakes the electronic handshake between the airbag and the car.
Old 02-25-2019, 03:23 PM
dmatias713
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying .2 Sport Wheel

Originally Posted by STG
After spending some time driving the Macan S, I've really begun to like the smaller airbag. Jumping into the 991, it just seemed a bit off to me in a small way. The airbag is much bigger in the .1

Anyway, why not do a mod?? After all, we do so much with our cars.

Had the Sport steering wheel already with the stalk MF which I put in last year. Before that I had the standard MF steering wheel.

Ordered the GT Sport .2 steering wheel with ONLY paddle shifters and new airbag. The steering wheel was a custom order from Porsche and took like 5 weeks.

Since I have the Sport/Sport Plus buttons on the console, wasn't looking to have the round unattractive bezel on the steering wheel.

Anyway, paddle shifters work perfectly and so far loving the steering wheel. I like that the outer part is black and the inners silver. On the standard .2 wheel and Macan one, it has a silver exterior. This GT Sport wheel design is what's coming on the 911R. On that model it's tweaked a bit design wise.

Quality wise?? I'd have to hand it to the .1 Sport Wheel. The .2 GT Sport one could be a bit higher quality. That being the black frame of it. It's pretty lightweight plastic. I love the smaller airbag though. Anyway, each has its merits. The .2 DOES not have the Sport and Sport plus lights on the wheel like the .1 obviously. In a perfect world, I'd take the .1 Sport Wheel with a .2 smaller airbag!

Porsche dealer did the install. Quick like 1hr of labor for that and changing the cabin filter. I'll have to ask if they did any programming.

I will be doing measurements comparing the .1 Sport Wheel and .2 GT Sport Wheel at a later time.

Where did you buy your .2 GT Sport Wheel without the dial sport selector? Been trying to search for the same exact wheel, but no luck. Was it off a website or had to go to your local Porsche dealer?
Old 02-25-2019, 10:45 PM
kimchee411
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any parts dealer can order it for you if you ask. Without sport chrono = no dial.
Old 02-25-2019, 11:06 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by dmatias713
Where did you buy your .2 GT Sport Wheel without the dial sport selector? Been trying to search for the same exact wheel, but no luck. Was it off a website or had to go to your local Porsche dealer?

Luke Rogers
Porsche Parts Consultant
Toll Free: 800.346.0182
Office: 503.644.2012 option 2
LukeRogers@sunsetimports.com

They ship nationwide. Best prices in the USA
Old 08-27-2019, 01:34 AM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Received 126 Likes on 104 Posts

Does anyone know the part numbers for the black, back trim pieces? I converted from MF to non-MF and have a gap between the front silver and back black pieces. Thanks!
Old 08-27-2019, 06:52 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,010 Likes on 601 Posts

Originally Posted by titleistaddict87
Does anyone know the part numbers for the black, back trim pieces? I converted from MF to non-MF and have a gap between the front silver and back black pieces. Thanks!
One of these pieces?

https://www.suncoastparts.com/catego..._By=disp_order
Old 02-13-2020, 10:31 PM
code7rpd
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Anyone know the part number for the all black center wheel trim (not the multifunction inserts or blank inserts) but the entire trim piece? That looks awesome!

Originally Posted by BLAM
I have one on my 991.1 GTS. Thinking I should put back the stock for trade in or sale as I have a .2 GT3 on the way.

Let me know if you are interested in buying it. I had Macarbon do the inserts in CF and the paddles painted black. Love it.
Old 02-14-2020, 06:32 AM
BLAM
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

That is a picture of my wheel. I had MAcarbon do my inserts. They do excellent work.
Old 02-11-2021, 12:58 PM
sts4life
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you happen to have the part numbers for everything that went on this swap? I'm looking to do the same thing on my 991.1 sport chrono w/o MF and w/o heat. Thanks!
Old 07-09-2021, 01:46 PM
Gixxerboy63
Racer

Received 141 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
FYI. For comparison.

911R wheel

.1 Sport Steering wheel
I would like to go from .1 sport steering wheel to 911 R with black spokes and smaller airbag… the only thing left
to decide is what material?

1. Carbon fiber / Alcantera ?
2. Carbon fiber / Leather ?
3. Alcantera / Leather ?
4. Straight Leather?
5. Straight Alcantera ?

Quick Reply: GT SPORT .2 Frankenwheel transplant to .1 C2S PDK