Sponsored by:

Solution to GTS wheels cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 05:37 PM
Highyo
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackBeauty
OCG is fine - it's a coating and will give you protection.

I use a Kranzle 1122T Pressure Washer, P21S Wheel Gel Cleaner, wheel woolies and the Microfiber Madness brush referenced above using a separate bucket with car wash soap. Then I rinse off the wheels and use Adams Detail Shine for a final wipe down clean up. Wheels are perfect for the first 100 feet before I need to brake and then they need to be cleaned again...
hahah too true

oh man for me it's even worse because i live on a sandy road. it drives me mad to have the sidewalls get stuck with sand. although the zaino has been great
Old 04-05-2018, 11:42 PM
bwiele
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

During this winter, while my stock, summer matte black wheels are off the car and the winters are on, I cleaned the wheels well with some 91% isopropyl alcohol (cleans them up really well) and then I coated them with 2 coats of Dr. Beasley's Matte Wheel coating. Unfortunately, today's date in the northeast seems to be January 75th because it's still freezing cold and spring refuses to come, so I don't know yet how effective the coating will be because I can't put them on. But on my winter wheels which are Turbo style wheels with polished fronts and gloss black painted on the rest, I applied 2 coats of Pinnacle Black Diamond wheel coating and so far I have found the wheels are much easier to clean.

Old 04-06-2018, 02:32 AM
Tangerine
Pro

Received 124 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
At the risk of sounding like a broken record, Armor All Wheel Protectant. Now called Armor All Outlast. Use that after you wash the wheels and you will have no trouble with brake dust anymore. Your wheels will look great for a month and when you go to wash them what little is on there will rinse right off. Just follow the directions to a T. Miracle stuff for cars that throw a lot of dust.

Walmart sells it or you can get it online at Amazon.
Like someone else earlier up, I also had them do ceramic pro on the wheels when they did the car and have been very happy with dust accumulation and how easy it is to clean when you need do. So if you didn't do ceramic coating, use that Armor All Wheel Protectant stuff. I have become convinced the only way to win the war against brake dust is what you do before it settles on your wheels.
Old 04-06-2018, 09:19 AM
JAM2
Rennlist Member

Received 421 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by Tangerine
Like someone else earlier up, I also had them do ceramic pro on the wheels when they did the car and have been very happy with dust accumulation and how easy it is to clean when you need do. So if you didn't do ceramic coating, use that Armor All Wheel Protectant stuff. I have become convinced the only way to win the war against brake dust is what you do before it settles on your wheels.
did you notice any color change on the wheels after ceramic pro was applied? My detailer did not put it on my wheels because he was concerned that it may cause the matte finish to have a sheen. I would love t have it applied as it helps with maintenance. I do have PCCB, so that helps a ton!
Old 04-06-2018, 02:12 PM
Tangerine
Pro

Received 124 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by JAM2
did you notice any color change on the wheels after ceramic pro was applied? My detailer did not put it on my wheels because he was concerned that it may cause the matte finish to have a sheen. I would love t have it applied as it helps with maintenance. I do have PCCB, so that helps a ton!
I had it done with 20 miles on the car, so come to think of it I'm not sure. You can check my public albums to see my car--I guess they do have a sheen? Not shiny, I'd still call them matte. Maybe someone else was more aware of a before/after difference?
Old 04-06-2018, 10:48 PM
JAM2
Rennlist Member

Received 421 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by Tangerine
I had it done with 20 miles on the car, so come to think of it I'm not sure. You can check my public albums to see my car--I guess they do have a sheen? Not shiny, I'd still call them matte. Maybe someone else was more aware of a before/after difference?
thank you
Old 04-07-2018, 08:34 AM
PbPedis
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

My previous 5 cars had ceramic brakes and I regret not having them on the GTS. Good suggestions in here. I'll have to look for the Armor All and give it a try.
Old 04-07-2018, 11:00 AM
Mr. Big
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
At the risk of sounding like a broken record, Armor All Wheel Protectant. Now called Armor All Outlast. Use that after you wash the wheels and you will have no trouble with brake dust anymore. Your wheels will look great for a month and when you go to wash them what little is on there will rinse right off. Just follow the directions to a T. Miracle stuff for cars that throw a lot of dust.

Walmart sells it or you can get it online at Amazon.
+1 for Outlast.
Old 04-07-2018, 11:41 AM
Gordon Shumway
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

I tried the AA on my satin black OEM GTS wheels with little success. I didn't get any of the white streaking I've read about, but there was some minor splotchiness with it. I could have lived with that if the product actually worked on reducing brake dust, but alas I saw very little, if any improvement.

I'm not criticizing the AA product, as it seems to work well for others. I think it just has to do with the OEM wheel finish on the satin black wheels. I suspect the AA needs to be applied to a very smooth/sealed finish to work properly, and the satin finish is a bit textured, so doesn't work as well.
Old 04-07-2018, 04:49 PM
DoubleDare
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm having trouble keeping my satin black OEM GTS wheels clean as well.

The Pinnacle Black Diamond Wheel Coating has been disappointing on these wheels, though I had great results with it on a previous car.

I just washed the wheels twice with Sonax shampoo, Wheel Woolies and a microfiber wash mitt. Still full of that brownish residue, whatever it is.

Anyone had success with a coating or sealant on the current-model satin black stock GTS wheels?

Quick Reply: Solution to GTS wheels cleaning