Sponsored by:

Steering Software Changes: 991.1 to 991.2

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 02:18 PM
kwikit356
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Steering Software Changes: 991.1 to 991.2

I've heard from various Porsche sources that the actual hardware components of the steering systems in 991.1 cars and 991.2 cars are identical. It may even be the case with the GT cars, I'm not sure. Given that Power Steering Plus can be added or deleted with software changes, it would seem logical that many other changes could also be made via software. Fueling maps and PASM maps can also be changed, as we all know.

So, let's say that Porsche has made some software changes/improvements from the .1 cars to the .2 cars. If that is actually the case, I have to admit that it's unlikely Porsche would want to allow this update to be done for owners of .1 cars. They'd much rather sell you a new car.

Yesterday I drove a base Carrera 991.2 with PDK. Among all the other obvious changes, it really felt to me that there was enough improvement in steering feedback that I noticed it without even looking for it. This was at speeds where PSP should not have been involved (I do not even know if this particular car had it).

Have any of you who have driven 991.2 cars noticed this? If the changes are limited to software (not suspension changes, etc) I wonder if the aftermarket tuners could do this as well?
Old 05-14-2016, 03:28 PM
Maxhouse97
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 26 Posts

I agree with everything you said and posted on a similar topic last year. I think the aftermarket will have to figure this out. People will pay for it. Need some real hackers.
Old 05-14-2016, 03:49 PM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 72 Posts

I have 650 miles on my .2 4S so far. Steering "feel" is dramatically improved.
Old 05-14-2016, 04:08 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

I understood that Porsche claims that's it 10% more direct, i.e., that it's a software change that increases the steering response relative to input by about 10%. I was under the impression that's all they've changed. Essentially they've added slightly more assist at speed is how I was interpreting. Felt like the steering was a little lighter in the .2 base I test drove, but not noticeably so. I was busy loving the new ride quality.

On a related note, there was a great article in Panorama a few months back about all the different elements of the steering/chassis that contribute to steering feel, if anyone was interested.
Old 05-14-2016, 04:24 PM
hawc
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackBeauty
I have 650 miles on my .2 4S so far. Steering 'feel' is dramatically improved.
Originally Posted by Archimedes
Essentially they've added slightly more assist at speed is how I was interpreting. Felt like the steering was a little lighter in the .2 base I test drove.

Lighter more assisted steering would make 'feel' worse not better.
Old 05-14-2016, 06:10 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by hawc

Lighter more assisted steering would make 'feel' worse not better.
Not necessarily, but I can tell you that my Spyder supposedly has 10% more direct steering than my Cayman S and it feels both slightly lighter and slightly more direct than the Cayman.

Honestly, I'm only going off the Porsche commentary, I have no idea exactly what the differences are. I will say that the steering in my Spyder is definitely lighter than the steering in my .1 Carrera. And the steering in the .2 Carrera I drove felt lighter and more 'assisted' than my .1 Carrera.
Old 05-14-2016, 06:18 PM
hawc
Racer

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Not necessarily, my Spyder has 10% more direct steering than my Cayman S and it feels both slightly lighter and slightly more direct than the Cayman. The steering in my Spyder is definitely lighter than the steering in my .1 Carrera. And the steering in the .2 Carrera I drove felt lighter and more 'assisted' than my .1 Carrera.
What? This makes no sense.

Nobody with a sports car says, "Oh, I love how light the steering is in my car! I love how much assist there is. I can spin the wheel with my pinky finger."

Are you sure you're not driving a 1970s Rolls Royce?
Old 05-14-2016, 06:25 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

If I needed more driving assistance, I'd buy a Cadillac.

Drove a .2 with power steering plus. Was pretty bad. Same would be the case with a .1 with the same option. I didn't feel any "improvement" in the .2 at higher speeds.
Old 05-14-2016, 07:07 PM
kwikit356
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 65 Posts

I might as well chime back in. I drove my 993 C2 6MT about 100 miles yesterday, including stopping at the the P dealer to try out the 991.2. For those of you who drive 993s, which has hydraulic power assisted steering, you know that the steering feel in the 993 is in fact much lighter than that in the 991.1. There is also incredible feedback for a power-assisted rack. The 991.1, in my opinion, feels very direct, heavier under all driving conditions (assuming no PSP), with less feel and feedback than the 993. BTW, I do not have enough seat time in either the 996 or 997 to comment on those. If you really want light but sublime steering, try a really well-set-up 356, or an early long-hood/long wheelbase 911 with quite narrow front tires. Obviously, both the 356 and all the 911s up through the Carrera 3.2L had no power assist. As the cars got heavier and the front tires wider, parking lot speed steering was heavier, but still quite light out on the road.

I know many people equate light steering effort with a lack of feedback, and in almost every situation that seems to be correct. But, I would argue that this has never been the case with Porsche when the engine was behind the driver. Race cars are a different animal altogether, as are cars with much wider front tires.

I have not driven the 981 Spyder, just drooled over one, but I think Archimedes has the same sense of the steering difference that I felt, between the 991.1 and 991.2. I would definitely be willing to spend some money to get the .2 steering in my .1. And now that you mention the ride, it was pretty darn nice. I thought maybe it was because the car I drove was a Cab.

The other change I wondered about was new PASM settings/other suspension changes for the 991.2. I recall that the .1 targa has different spring rates from the coupe, at least in the rear, but I don't know anything about the Cab suspension, except that you could not get SPASM (I think Larry mentioned that) in the .1 Cab.

One last point: When I went to park the .2 Cab I noticed that the whole time I'd been driving the PASM was set to the harder mode. Did not even occur to me to check; the ride seemed planted but quite compliant. Whats up with that? I almost never drive my .1 PASM GTS in the hard mode unless the road is super smooth. I wonder if this is a coupe/cab difference or a .1/.2 difference, or just a different PASM set up for the .1 GTS? And then we have to consider SPASM, which is different from all of the others. This can get so confusing that sometimes I'm glad I have the excuse that I'm old and getting stupider by the week.
The following users liked this post:
mohawk5010 (09-21-2020)
Old 05-14-2016, 07:32 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by hawc
What? This makes no sense. Nobody with a sports car says, "Oh, I love how light the steering is in my car! I love how much assist there is. I can spin the wheel with my pinky finger." Are you sure you're not driving a 1970s Rolls Royce?
You're making no sense, as we're not talking in absolutes or extremes, but rather degrees. A car can have too light or too heavy steering, as well as more or less direct.

Let me say it again. Comparing my Spyder to the Cayman, the Spyder feels more direct and slightly lighter. Comparing my .1 to the .2 I drove, the .2 felt more direct and slightly lighter. What you or me or anyone else prefers is personal. I'm telling you what I feel, nothing more.

That said, I love the Spyders steering and prefer it to the Cayman's or any other car I've driven.
Old 05-14-2016, 07:33 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

You can also add PDCC into the mix because that is smoother as well. I find my coupe in normal mode to be very compliant.
Old 05-14-2016, 09:05 PM
petee1997
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by STG

Drove a .2 with power steering plus. Was pretty bad. Same would be the case with a .1 with the same option. I didn't feel any "improvement" in the .2 at higher speeds.
Your biased opinions aren't worth dick. You're a hater of the .2 and there is nothing you like about the car. Fact is, the steering in the .2 is definitely better. That is from a former owner of the .1 for over three years and now three weeks into the .2. Also it is documented as one of the improvements by many reviewers and PAG.
Old 05-14-2016, 10:14 PM
Porsche Jeff
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
If I needed more driving assistance, I'd buy a Cadillac
Hey be nice I'm from Detroit. My other 2 cars are Cadillacs!
Old 05-15-2016, 01:33 AM
PorscheThug
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by STG

Originally Posted by petee1997
Your biased opinions aren't worth dick. You're a hater of the .2 and there is nothing you like about the car. Fact is, the steering in the .2 is definitely better. That is from a former owner of the .1 for over three years and now three weeks into the .2. Also it is documented as one of the improvements by many reviewers and PAG.

Another drama beginning?
Old 05-15-2016, 04:20 PM
hawc
Racer

Exclamation

Originally Posted by petee1997
Your biased opinions aren't worth dick. You're a hater of the .2 and there is nothing you like about the car.
Woah. Woah. Woah.

This is Rennlist. This isn't 6speedonline or VWVortex or the YouTube comment sections.

Please be a bit more respectful and mature in your responses to other members. Lest this forum deteriorate to the schoolyard quality of the rest of the net.

You could have very simply said, "I think you're being a little biased, as you've never been a big fan of the .2"

The following users liked this post:
racebannon (06-17-2021)

Quick Reply: Steering Software Changes: 991.1 to 991.2