Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AutoCrossed the 991.2 Today

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2016 | 02:15 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

On base vs. S...

I don't get why folks think the 'value' difference between the base and S is reduced in 2015... There have always been minimal actual engine differences between the two versions.

The primary engine specification differences previously were just a over-bore version of the same engine to gain more power.

S value has always been a bump in power (how it is achieved is pretty much irrelevant), plus bigger brakes, plus optional features made standard, plus typically a few cosmetic changes, plus upgrades to ancillary engine components (intakes, cams, etc) which may or may not be present in the 2015.

Have we heard if the new S has any specific engine mods other than turbo's and tune? Revised intakes, exhaust, cam's, or oiling?

Why is it more acceptable for Porsche to increase power by slapping in bigger pistons/bore on an engine than to upgrade the Turbo's?

Or are we still stuck in the 'no replacement for displacement' era?
Old 05-07-2016 | 02:22 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LexVan
How does this work? Base and S have it? Optional or standard? Thanks.
Both have it, definitely standard feature with PDK, not sure if offered with manual? The Porsche instructor at the event said it was simply 20 seconds of overboost. Probably other ECU mapping changes as well.

Similar to the 911 Turbo Sport-Chrono overboost function but requires a button push vs. just nailing the throttle?
Old 05-07-2016 | 02:28 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

...another nice feature of the new 991.2 was the 'custom settings' mode. If your like me, one of the first things you do after starting is set the car up how you like it. EG: I like the engine in sport mode, pasm in regular mode, sport exhaust on for daily driving. Now you can save those settings to custom mode and select them with a single twist of the wheel selector instead of pushing three or four buttons in a specific sequence.

Of course this sort of 'save custom settings' has been available in $500 SLR cameras for the past 15 years or so, but it's nice to see Porsche catching up! ;-P
Old 05-07-2016 | 02:45 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by pfbz
...another nice feature of the new 991.2 was the 'custom settings' mode. If your like me, one of the first things you do after starting is set the car up how you like it. EG: I like the engine in sport mode, pasm in regular mode, sport exhaust on for daily driving. Now you can save those settings to custom mode and select them with a single twist of the wheel selector instead of pushing three or four buttons P
Not sure I understand. That's exactly what the sport button does in the .1
Old 05-07-2016 | 03:30 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Not sure I understand. That's exactly what the sport button does in the .1
Sport button turns on engine mapping + pasm sport + pse all at the same time. You then have to manually turn off pasm sport and pse if you prefer them off.

Custom settings lets you save whatever preference combo you prefer.
Old 05-07-2016 | 05:19 PM
Stil_1
Instructor

Sport button turns on engine mapping + pasm sport + pse all at the same time. You then have to manually turn off pasm sport and pse if you prefer them off.

Custom settings lets you save whatever preference combo you prefer.
In the .1 sport plus turns on pasm sport. Sport mode does not, at least in a 911.1 4S

I think he was commenting on your specific configuration was covered by sport button.

Sport:
Pse on
Increases throttle response

Sport plus:
Sport button items above
I think makes throttle more aggressive?
Enables pasm sport
Different config for the dynamic engine mounts?
Old 05-07-2016 | 06:22 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Sport button turns on engine mapping + pasm sport + pse all at the same time. You then have to manually turn off pasm sport and pse if you prefer them off. .
No that's not true. Hitting the sport button in a .1 does not put PASM in sport mode.
Old 05-07-2016 | 06:35 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

On base vs. S...

I don't get why folks think the 'value' difference between the base and S is reduced in 2015... There have always been minimal actual engine differences between the two versions.
I will give you my perspective (I think you meant in 2017 not 2015):

The 991.2 Base: More HP out of a much lower displacement engine than the engine it replaces equals more engine stress which leads to lower engine reliability. In addition, turbos run a lot hotter which leads to more reliability challenges.

The 991.2 S: Increase the boost to produce more HP from the same 3.0L engine creates even more engine stress. What's the cost to Porsche to increase boost? Not much at all. There is no R&D cost for a new engine. Slightly larger turbos and a software change to the ECU. Charge $14k more for the badge and a zero to 60 time of .3 secs faster. Sure, the front brakes are a bit larger and the rear tires are a bit wider. ...but the larger brake calipers are not the limiting component for stopping power.....its the rubber.

The proposed 991.2 GTS: Even more boost on the same 3.0L displacement engine will yield even more engine stress. No word yet if Porsche will beef up engine components as they did on the 991.1 GTS with X51 standard. Like all GTSs, this will be a parts bin special at end of model life to squeeze out remaining profits before the redesign. Almost no cost to Porsche.

So to answer your question: If people want to pay $14k for almost nothing on the 991.2S then...go for it. Some will pay. Porsche will have a huge profit margin on the S. Good for Porsche.

But the reviews are coming out and the Base is the one to get.
Old 05-07-2016 | 08:05 PM
petee1997
Burning Brakes

Engine stress? Give me a break.
Old 05-07-2016 | 08:58 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

For the Denverites:

Where would you go if you wanted a nice drive through the hills?

Deer creek canyon would likely be nice both up and down as well as the drive from Morrison to Evergreen.

Thanks
Old 05-08-2016 | 01:35 AM
sp330
Racer

I know why I would go for a base 991.2: 331 lb ft of torque available early on is more than enough for my daily driving.

Quick Reply: AutoCrossed the 991.2 Today