Sponsored by:

AutoCrossed the 991.2 Today

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 04:17 PM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 133 Posts
Default AutoCrossed the 991.2 Today

I didn't see anyone else from my region post anything about the event so here's a quick summary. Our local dealer, Stevinson Porsche, held a driving event at the Pepsi Center in Denver. Flew in 4 Porsche Driving School instructors. 4 cars were available .. all were S, with PDK and PSE. 2 cars were Cabs and 2 had sunroofs.

The good news: No turbo lag. The Cabs were very quiet inside. The sunroofs did not rattle at all. Apple Play looked great.

The bad news: even with PSE the cars were too quiet for me. I think some buyers are going to be disappointed with the PSE.

The lead instructor prefers the Base over the S.

At the end of the day the instructors took the students for a drive. Holy Sh*t! they could drive. Porsche is an amazing car.

Here's a pict of Miami Blue. Not my tastes but a lot people loved it.
Attached Images  

Last edited by n2cars; 05-05-2016 at 04:19 PM. Reason: sorry for the sideways pict
Old 05-05-2016, 05:12 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,141 Likes on 981 Posts

I am convinced that the ratio of the number of Base to S sold is going to go way up.

Many reviews are stating that the Base is the better car. $14k for not much more capability for the S model with the same displacement engine just doesn't seem worth it.

Those who do get the S are going to be giving Porsche a huge profit margin on those cars.
Old 05-05-2016, 06:15 PM
shewu
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
I am convinced that the ratio of the number of Base to S sold is going to go way up.

Many reviews are stating that the Base is the better car. $14k for not much more capability for the S model with the same displacement engine just doesn't seem worth it.

Those who do get the S are going to be giving Porsche a huge profit margin on those cars.
Unless you really really are going for lap times with PDCC and 4WS.
Old 05-05-2016, 06:16 PM
Cristophosphorus
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Great review. Glad to know that lag wasn't that noticeable during track events.

Absolutely. Now that a simple tune can get you much, much more power than the S, I fully believe that lots of customers will opt for the base model. Even though the S has many other options and upgrades than power alone, I can def see people making that move.
Old 05-05-2016, 07:55 PM
kkapoor
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by n2cars

The lead instructor prefers the Base over the S.
A lot of people seem to be voicing this sentiment.
Old 05-05-2016, 08:41 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,141 Likes on 981 Posts

Originally Posted by shewu
Unless you really really are going for lap times with PDCC and 4WS.

That's funny. Not many 911 guys track their cars. If I was looking for lap times in a Porsche, I would have a GT4 or GT3. Everything else is status, luxury and daily driving. A 991.2 base is perfect for that.

I have a 981 BS manual w/PSE for the driving experience. I'm getting a 991.2 for everything else......
Old 05-05-2016, 10:15 PM
roadwellheeled
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

N2, Glad to hear there is an enthusiast group in CO. It would have been great to attend but I'm in Melbourne for a few more days.
Do you know of any future Porsche sponsored events in CO?

Thanks

Todd
Old 05-05-2016, 10:29 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Cristophosphorus
Absolutely. Now that a simple tune can get you much, much more power than the S, I fully believe that lots of customers will opt for the base model. Even though the S has many other options and upgrades than power alone, I can def see people making that move.
People keep saying this and it makes zero sense. People are probably loving the base because of better throttle response... because Porsche was able to almost completely eliminate the turbo lag when they're only asking 370 out of the 3.0L. Tune it up to the power you're getting out of the S, and if Porsche wasn't able to completely eliminate the lag with many engineers in white lab coats and hundreds of millions of dollars spent, why would you think that some cheesy tuner shop would be able to do better, without the hardware changes that Porsche made to get it as low as possible? As much as I dislike the decision to go from the 3.8 to the 3.0, Porsche spent a hell of a lot of time and money making it as good as possible, and you're never going to do a better job than they did.
Old 05-05-2016, 10:39 PM
mb1
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Dewinator
People keep saying this and it makes zero sense. People are probably loving the base because of better throttle response... because Porsche was able to almost completely eliminate the turbo lag when they're only asking 370 out of the 3.0L. Tune it up to the power you're getting out of the S, and if Porsche wasn't able to completely eliminate the lag with many engineers in white lab coats and hundreds of millions of dollars spent, why would you think that some cheesy tuner shop would be able to do better, without the hardware changes that Porsche made to get it as low as possible? As much as I dislike the decision to go from the 3.8 to the 3.0, Porsche spent a hell of a lot of time and money making it as good as possible, and you're never going to do a better job than they did.
I always thought that I was missing something. I could never understand how tuning was so easy and that so much extra power could be milked out of an engine that Porsche had nearly unlimited resources to optimize. I'm glad someone who appears to know more than me made this statement.
Old 05-05-2016, 10:40 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Fast, cheap, reliable... Pick 2.
Old 05-05-2016, 11:01 PM
kkapoor
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to own a 997.2 C4S PDK. That car was a 3.8 with 380 HP and weighed 1585 kg. It was ridiculously fast and nimble.

The 991.2 base is 370 HP and weighs 1450 kg with PDK (1430 kg with MT).

I think I would be more than happy with a base 991.2. I'm even leaning towards the MT.
Old 05-05-2016, 11:11 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 710 Likes on 495 Posts

The event was a great way to see how the car performed on an very short tight track. Hard braking, quick acceleration. Very smooth and linear, to me, acceleration and very difficult to ascertain that this is a turboed setup. I didn't get a chance to use the black button for the added boost but the car is great. The sound for me was a non issue. This new 911 is a preogression of an ever evolving idea. Instant power, wonderful efficiency, and incredible track capability. Can't go wrong. For those that doubt this iteration, take an extended drive, leave to preconceived notion in your na 911 and I think that many will agree that this is a superb car.
Old 05-06-2016, 12:23 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

That's funny. Not many 911 guys track their cars. If I was looking for lap times in a Porsche, I would have a GT4 or GT3. )
You do know the 991.1S turned a faster Ring time than the GT4, right?
Old 05-06-2016, 01:02 AM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

But nobody cares if Billy Ray's Stage 4 Hyper-Drive Dynocharged VTEC Super Tune (Yo) meets emissions and noise requirements. Porsche has very different optimization goals.
Old 05-06-2016, 02:17 AM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
But nobody cares if Billy Ray's Stage 4 Hyper-Drive Dynocharged VTEC Super Tune (Yo) meets emissions and noise requirements. Porsche has very different optimization goals.
Ok a little bit, but the biggest factor is reliability/longevity requirements.

Quick Reply: AutoCrossed the 991.2 Today