Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for the group: What inspired you to buy your 1st Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 06:00 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 660 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by Valkuri
Um…no. Bicarbonated soda 'kills cancer cells dead'? Oncologist. 26 years. Please, PLEASE stop with this nonsense. It's analogous to telling people that replacing the lug nuts on a 996 fixes ALL mechanical problems: Only, 10x more simplistic. And misleading to people that deserve better. Stick to cars, mmm'kayy? Leave cancer to actual physicians, and we'll leave actual auto repair to mechanics.
+981. I experienced the folly of this type thinking myself, watching my sweet, sincere Mom feed my Dad all sorts of "nutritional cures" right til almost the moment he took his final breath from metastatic prostate cancer. So my anecdote cancels out his anecdote. So many people. So few understand the scientific method.
Old 04-15-2016, 07:25 AM
oalvarez
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Liked them as a kid. My best friend rented an '88 Carrera in the late 80's and that's what started my love affair with the 911. About fifteen years later I owned my first one.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:57 PM
Valkuri
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

regular exercise been shown to reduce the occurance of most cancers pretty significantly?
Some cancers, yes. Marginal relevance after diagnosis.
Want to reduce your cancer risk?
Exercise. Don't become a fat a**. Don't smoke. Get your colonoscopies, prostate exams and mammograms, and quit whining that they're uncomfortable. Trust me: they're a LOT less uncomfortable than abdominal surgery, chemotherapy or pathologic fractures through a bone metastasis.

Forget the 'herbs 'n spices' foolishness.
Or, go ahead and try it out. And then, pay me later.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:59 PM
Valkuri
Burning Brakes

+981. I experienced the folly of this type thinking myself, watching my sweet, sincere Mom feed my Dad all sorts of "nutritional cures" right til almost the moment he took his final breath from metastatic prostate cancer. So my anecdote cancels out his anecdote. So many people. So few understand the scientific method.
Sorry to hear of your experience. All too common, and oddly: MORE, rather than less common today, in the era of substantially better therapeutic options.
Old 04-15-2016, 10:02 PM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Received 574 Likes on 271 Posts

I saw this ad in a magazine...and I was hooked. Motivation to study hard and do well in school. After 15 years of education and training, I finally purchased my first Porsche: 991 GTS
Old 04-15-2016, 10:53 PM
DrCGuerra
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have always dreamed of owning a 911 since I was a 11 or 12. I remember Porsche had a poster of a 1974 or 75 Porsche 911 Turbo with that "whale tail". It was beautiful. 21-years ago, I test drove a 1994 Porsche 911 (993). I was 31-years old and in my last year of my residency. I remember it costing about $60,000 and it was a joy to drive but I felt paranoid (ironic coming from a psychiatrist) the whole time I test- drove it. A few months later, my C&D magazine came in showing a 1995 BMW M3 for $35,000 so I purchased that. I was hooked on BMW M3s from 1994 to 2014. I owned 2, E36 (1994.5, 1995), 2001 E46 M3 (my favorite of all M3s) and finally an E92 M3 (I loved the motor but not the car). However, IMO, BMW started to lose its way with the E92 and totally lost it with the F82 M4. I ordered a 2014 M4 but decided to go in a different direction and ordered a 2015 Cayman GTS with a 6-speed MT. What a fabulous car. I expected to keep that car for at least 5-years but I was granted the opportunity to "unlock" and purchase a 991.1 GTS to my specifications so I did. I could not pass up on the opportunity to own the last N/A Carrera GTS. I spec'd mine with the Aero package with ducktail and wing as it was the closest to the "whale tail". It is a dream come true and I do not plan on selling it.
Old 04-15-2016, 11:46 PM
Valkuri
Burning Brakes

it was a joy to drive but I felt paranoid (ironic coming from a psychiatrist) the whole time I test- drove it. A few months later, my C&D magazine came in showing a 1995 BMW M3 for $35,000 so I purchased that. I was hooked on BMW M3s from 1994 to 2014. I owned 2, E36 (1994.5, 1995), 2001 E46 M3 (my favorite of all M3s) and finally an E92 M3 (I loved the motor but not the car). However, IMO, BMW started to lose its way with the E92 and totally lost it with the F82 M4. I ordered a 2014 M4 but decided to go in a different direction and ordered a 2015 Cayman GTS with a 6-speed MT. What a fabulous car. I expected to keep that car for at least 5-years but I was granted the opportunity to "unlock" and purchase a 991.1 GTS to my specifications so I did. I could not pass up on the opportunity to own the last N/A Carrera GTS. I spec'd mine with the Aero package with ducktail and wing as it was the closest to the "whale tail".
Hmmm. Interesting. You seem to have some issues with long time commitments.
Tell me… Did your father have the same issues? And what about the other siblings? Did you ever feel that Mom and Dad were somehow more attached to them than you?
Old 04-16-2016, 12:02 AM
mmblz
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some cancers, yes. Marginal relevance after diagnosis..
http://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/c...-fact-sheet#q4

http://jco.ascopubs.org/content/earl....7799.abstract

The also surprising results like this:
http://www.dana-farber.org/Newsroom/...-patients.aspx
Old 04-16-2016, 12:31 AM
Mlbraptor
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

During the late 70's and early 80's my brother always had some kind of Porsche. I thought they were really cool cars. I bought my first one in 1998. My brother died of cancer in 1985. He was 31 years old. Every time I get in my Porsche; I think of him.
Old 04-16-2016, 01:21 AM
DrCGuerra
Racer

Hmmm. Interesting. You seem to have some issues with long time commitments.
Tell me… Did your father have the same issues? And what about the other siblings? Did you ever feel that Mom and Dad were somehow more attached to them than you?
Too funny but you would make a terrible psychiatrist or psychologist because you assume too much. The only reason I went from a 1994.5 E36 (purchased it in May 2014) to a 1995 E36 is that 19-months after purchasing a "pre-production" E36 M3, a lady ran a red light and I sustained $12,000 of front end damage. I was not willing to keep the car so I salvaged it to purchase a 1995 E36 (December 1995). I kept that car until September 2001 when my 2-year wait on the deposit I placed for my 2001 E46 arrived (I received the first spec'd M3 in Houston). I kept that car until October 2009 when I purchased a 2010 E92 M3. I kept that car exactly 5-years when my 2015 Cayman GTS arrived in October 2014. I was fortunate that a friend of mine who frequents Rennlist told me that all 991.1 GTS were "locked". I contacted my dealer who confirmed that. I was able to get Porsche North Houston to "unlock" a 991.1 GTS so I was able to spec-out the last US-bound 991.1 GTS so I took advantage of it and swapped out my 15-month old Cayman GTS for my dream car. I think most would have done the same, if in my situation. BTW, I am the eldest of 3. You would have to ask my siblings, if they felt less attached.
Old 04-16-2016, 01:22 AM
DrCGuerra
Racer

Originally Posted by Mlbraptor
During the late 70's and early 80's my brother always had some kind of Porsche. I thought they were really cool cars. I bought my first one in 1998. My brother died of cancer in 1985. He was 31 years old. Every time I get in my Porsche; I think of him.
That's a great tribute to your brother. I am sure he is smiling every time you start the engine.
Old 04-16-2016, 11:13 AM
Valkuri
Burning Brakes

Too funny but you would make a terrible psychiatrist or psychologist because you assume too much.
True, which is why I'm an oncologist. Also, intolerant of individual weaknesses and indecisiveness and poor decision making, while failing to recognize them in myself, rendering me utterly unqualified to be a psychiatrist. Couldn't do your job.

Nice choice of automobiles, BTW. And, after owning nearly twenty vehicles in 40 years: I have no place pointing at anyone else's 'commitment issues'.
Old 04-16-2016, 02:17 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

My love affair and ownership began while going to College in L.A. in the early 70's.

I rode my 10 speed by a dealership under the Harbor Freeway and saw a used longhood RS and and an S for sale by the same owner --- on consignment. Serious lust ensued.

Added into this mix, when driving around southern CA in the early '70s there were numerous 356s and 911s buzzing around the mountain roads. AMAZING memories of each of these inspired me to work tooooo long of hours, tooooo many days of the month, after graduating until I could afford to buy 3 cherished Sports Cars from that era: '70 - TR6, '71 -E Type, and my first new Porsche, an '84 - 944. Which I still own.

And, have added 9 more Porsches ( all vintage : 914 - 2.0 litre, 911 Carrera, and 944s , 951s with special option groupings ).

The German engineering is beyond excellent and personal driving experiences condone much track time and some serious apex maneuverings on lake, country, and mountain roads. These exhilarating experiences are what drive the connections between man and machine; Porsche knows this and tailor fits the cars to it's drivers; this last statement for many, may be more true of the vintage line than what is currently offered, at least in the rawest, most purist sense.

I am contemplating an RS 997 and a 991.2 model yet to be determined. The love affair once kindled can never be snuffed out with a Porsche. It may just need to be re-inspired by looking around within the fold, as there is certainly something for every taste and bank account of an enthusiast.
Old 04-16-2016, 02:24 PM
Dbull65
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

I think the first Porsche I fell in love with was the 928 in Risky Business. Both of my parents were American car geeks, my Mom liked old Mustangs and my Dad like old Cameros and we lived way out in the country. Did no have a lot of exposure to imported cars. But, I fell in love with that 928. Then when I was in the Navy in my early 20s I had a poster of a whale tail 911. I thought it was the coolest car ever. After a life time of American muscle, I have finally got my 911!
Old 04-16-2016, 06:37 PM
DrCGuerra
Racer

True, which is why I'm an oncologist. Also, intolerant of individual weaknesses and indecisiveness and poor decision making, while failing to recognize them in myself, rendering me utterly unqualified to be a psychiatrist. Couldn't do your job.

Nice choice of automobiles, BTW. And, after owning nearly twenty vehicles in 40 years: I have no place pointing at anyone else's 'commitment issues'.
All kidding aside, I appreciate the oncologist. My dad was diagnosed with Stage B2 colorectal cancer when he was 49. We just celebrated his 80th birthday last weekend in Las Vegas. My hat's off to you guys.

Quick Reply: Question for the group: What inspired you to buy your 1st Porsche?