Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for the group: What inspired you to buy your 1st Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 09:08 AM
robbie9999
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmblz
Grew up loving cars, especially the 911. Read magazines long before I could drive. Had the "kills bugs fast" poster maybe in high school. Senior prediction referenced me some day buying a 911.

Last year at 35, found out I had stage 3 colon cancer. My wife started scheming and was going to surprise me the last day of chemo. She decided a brand new turbo s was a risky surprise and ran it by me. She had picked the exact right car, exact right color. Worried about what the 991.2 would be we decided to buy right away, and it became the best birthday present I've ever had. Never would have made the decision on my own, so I have her to thank.

Gotta enjoy every moment, you never know what lies ahead.
Mate - I am sorry to hear about your battle with Cancer, I know this is a car forum, review the video's listed below. There is a lot of hocus pocus that goes with this ailment, everyone seems to have an answer. Look up diet remedies they work, cancer feeds off sugar, at Walmart they sell for 60 cents a pop, BIOCARBONATED SODA, mix it with water kills Cancer cells dead !

http://www.wakingtimes.com/2015/07/0...cer-treatment/

Anyhow my Mrs changed her mum's fate of brain cancer through diet, once on death bed, now 4 years strong and healthy no tumor, get off the prescribed medication they pump into you, doctor's mandated to only study nutrition 1/2 hours from the 4 years needed to put into becoming certified. (No disrespect)

Review these new links the word is spreading about real treatment

The Truth About Cancer: A Global Quest again,
(for free of course)...

We’re calling it the Encore Presentation, and I know
you’ll love it. :-)

Go here to watch the trailer video for this powerful
series.

Also, here’s the episode breakdown and times that they
air so you can put them in your calendar. :-)

Episode 1: The True History of Chemotherapy & The
Pharmaceutical Monopoly
(April 12th at 9:00pm Eastern US time)

Episode 2: Cancer Facts and Fictions, Breast Cancer,
Hormones, Skin Cancer
& Essential Oils
(April 13th at 9:00pm Eastern US time)

Episode 3: Cancer-Killing Viruses, Cancer Stem Cells,
GMOs, Juicing & Eating the Rainbow
(April 14th at 9:00pm Eastern US time)

Episode 4: Excitotoxins that Fuel Cancer, Nature's
Pharmacy and Healing Cancer with Sound & Light
(April 15th at 9:00pm Eastern US time)

Episode 5: Cancer Causing Blindspots, Toxic Vaccines,
Homeopathy & The Power of Emotions
(April 16th at 9:00pm Eastern US time)

Episode 6: The NOCEBO Effect, Healing Vaccines,
Advanced Detoxing & Going Inside A German Cancer Clinic
(April 17th at 9:00pm Eastern US time)

Episode 7: Heal Cancer with Clean Electricity, Unique
Water, Natural Sunlight & Combining Superfoods
(April 18th at 9:00pm Eastern US time)

Episode 8: Cannabis, Nature's Epigenetic Switches,
Peptides & Healing with Micronutrient Therapy
(April 19th at 9:00pm Eastern US time)

Episode 9: Cancer Conquerors & Their Powerful Stories
of Victory
(April 20th at 9:00pm Eastern US time)

We’ve gathered together and interviewed over 100 scientists,
researchers, doctors, and survivors to pack this series
so full of amazing new information that certainly saves
lives and hopefully changes the world.

Here’s the link again to the trailer; take just a few minutes
of your time and go watch it now and you’ll see exactly
what I mean.

To your health,
Ty Bollinger
Old 04-14-2016, 09:18 AM
porsche42
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good question. Was a Vette fan for years, had 6 of them. Was ready to buy another one in 2010. Saw an article in Motor trend comparing the Cayman S to the base Vette, the Cayman beat it in every category. I think what sealed the deal was actually seating in one at a car show, since usually Porsche's have locked doors. So I bought a 2010 Cayman S, 5 years later bought a 2015 Turbo S, love it. Never going back, although will always have a soft spot for Vettes.
Old 04-14-2016, 11:19 AM
todd92
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Interesting recurring theme here. Most of you loved and wanted a Porsche since you were young, so there was always a strong emotional attachment. I was never a fan. The only German car that did anything for me growing up was the BMW 2002...and I've owned five 3 series and loved each one of them. But BMW's have sucked since they became bloated with RFT's and I still have my e46 ZHP with 150k miles on it.
Old 04-14-2016, 01:24 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by todd92
The only German car that did anything for me growing up was the BMW 2002.
My very first car was a 1970 BMW 2002. I loved that car. Wish I still had it.
Old 04-14-2016, 01:36 PM
P991GTS
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
My very first car was a 1970 BMW 2002. I loved that car. Wish I still had it.

My first car was a ’72 2002, Manual, Factory Sunroof. I had it painted Guards Red, Black Interior. I need to dig out old pictures!
Old 04-14-2016, 02:52 PM
racemor
Racer

Received 155 Likes on 47 Posts

I've been into cars my whole life, building models and racing r/c cars for Team Associated before I was old enough to drive. From the time I first started watching IMSA races in the early 80s, Porsche's involvement in racing was gave me a respect for the brand. But living in South Florida in the "Miami Vice" era killed any interest in their street cars. It seemed like every 911 I saw back then was a junky slant nose conversion or worse.

But in about 1989, a college professor of mine took me for a ride in his '73 911S and it really changed my mind. That sound (!) and quality of what was at the time a 15 year old car was awesome. After a long time driving/autocrossing/racing Miatas I decided to find an early 911. I bought and restored a '73 911E and have a 964 C2. Now I've got an order in on a 991.2.

For me, it's all about the heritage, performance and versatility of the 911 that make it the best thing around.
Attached Images   
Old 04-14-2016, 08:12 PM
SkipSauls
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Ahh, you must have been an Alpha-tester!
Ack, fixed!
Old 04-14-2016, 08:29 PM
justabout
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 237 Posts

Service visit for my Jaguar was taking too long so I drove to the Porsche dealer to test drive a panamera. Next day I traded the jaguar for the panny. That led to 2 more Porsches (panny GTS and 991 GTS ). That jaguar service visit has cost me plenty.
Old 04-15-2016, 12:20 AM
Valkuri
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Mate - I am sorry to hear about your battle with Cancer, I know this is a car forum, review the video's listed below. There is a lot of hocus pocus that goes with this ailment, everyone seems to have an answer. Look up diet remedies they work, cancer feeds off sugar, at Walmart they sell for 60 cents a pop, BIOCARBONATED SODA, mix it with water kills Cancer cells dead !

http://www.wakingtimes.com/2015/07/0...cer-treatment/

Anyhow my Mrs changed her mum's fate of brain cancer through diet, once on death bed, now 4 years strong and healthy no tumor, get off the prescribed medication they pump into you, doctor's mandated to only study nutrition 1/2 hours from the 4 years needed to put into becoming certified. (No disrespect)
Um…no.
Bicarbonated soda 'kills cancer cells dead'?

Oncologist. 26 years. Please, PLEASE stop with this nonsense. It's analogous to telling people that replacing the lug nuts on a 996 fixes ALL mechanical problems: Only, 10x more simplistic. And misleading to people that deserve better.
Stick to cars, mmm'kayy? Leave cancer to actual physicians, and we'll leave actual auto repair to mechanics.
Old 04-15-2016, 01:22 AM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Valkuri
Oncologist. 26 years. Please, PLEASE stop with this nonsense. It's analogous to telling people that replacing the lug nuts on a 996 fixes ALL mechanical problems: Only, 10x more simplistic. And misleading to people that deserve better.
Stick to cars, mmm'kayy? Leave cancer to actual physicians, and we'll leave actual auto repair to mechanics.
Hasn't regular exercise been shown to reduce the occurance of most cancers pretty significantly? I thought I saw one recently about injecting non-exercising rats with adrenaline and even just that had some percentage of the effect of actual exercise.
Old 04-15-2016, 02:08 AM
c_Gio
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Valkuri
Um…no.
Bicarbonated soda 'kills cancer cells dead'?

Didn't Regan go to Germany for his cancer and--basically--get cured? I do sometimes wonder about our system. The money is made in prescriptions not cures, no? And no money = no incentive....... BTW not speaking to oncologists, those dedicated to cancer victims, but the larger ecosystem.
Old 04-15-2016, 02:08 AM
COLB
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I grew up in Thousand Oaks California and drove to CSU at Northridge in 1978. Every day I would drive by the exit coming out of Malibu Cyn Road which merged onto the 101 freeway. Often I would see Bruce Jenner coming onto the 101 in his white Turbo and hit it hard heading to the valley. I was driving a POS VW Baja Bug that couldn't get out of its way. I was in love with that car from the first time I saw it. 30 years later I sold my company, retired and bought myself a 997TT.
Old 04-15-2016, 02:31 AM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by COLB
Often I would see Bruce Jenner coming onto the 101 in his white Turbo and hit it hard heading to the valley.
"Buckle up buckaroos!!!" Hehe you're lucky he didn't kill you while texting.

Nowadays he/she/it is the one getting hit hard instead of the turbo! Hehe. :P
Old 04-15-2016, 02:40 AM
COLB
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah pretty weird, but true story. And that Turbo's whale tail was glorious. Every young mans dream from that era for sure.
Old 04-15-2016, 03:17 AM
Wins997s
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Early 80's growing up and a fan of Chuck Norris, watching him and seeing the sexiest car on earth being driven. From then on I've fantacized owning one...not till April 11,2016 when my dream came true.��

Quick Reply: Question for the group: What inspired you to buy your 1st Porsche?