Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for the group: What inspired you to buy your 1st Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 10:44 PM
socalpcarfan
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

Wanted to use the Porsche to pick up the hot blonde at the local fitness club
Old 04-11-2016, 10:49 PM
PhilDunfy
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

couple of reasons:

1. its not blanked out- its a mesh cover
2. Where I go, I don't need to ford water that's deeper than my 35"s and 4" lift.
3. Snorkels hurt performance (I know, I know) but still. I live in Dallas and snorkels are like hot air intakes.

these pics are old- we have since redone the suspension Shortys + fox shocks all around + currie heavy duty steering and tie rod + fox stabilizer.

Last edited by PhilDunfy; 04-11-2016 at 10:51 PM. Reason: licence plate.
Old 04-11-2016, 10:51 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by socalpcarfan
Wanted to use the Porsche to pick up the hot blonde at the local fitness club

I used my hot blonde (AKA wife) to get me a Porsche!
T
Old 04-12-2016, 12:54 AM
P991GTS
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 40 Posts

In 2006, the sales manager where I buy cars let me have a Boxster S for the weekend. I had owned many BMWs and a couple of Mercs and until then, a Porsche just didn’t seem better. I think it was because I was so familiar with Bimmers that anything else was a bit awkward for the limited experience of only a few minutes.

So that Saturday, my wife and I took the 987 for a ‘spirited’ drive that lasted hours through some favorite mountain roads. It was like waking up slowly. I went from not understanding why others love Porsche to feeling like I was wearing the car. Like an Ironman suit for driving.

Within a few months I bought my own Boxster S and was delighted that they threw in another few hp for ‘07. I sold that car about three years ago but kept looking at different Porsche models, studying which to get next. With the news of the 991.2 engines, we decided to get our current model. As great as the 987 was, this 991 has stirred up a level of joy that I haven’t felt since my grandpa taught me how to drive.

Old 04-12-2016, 01:35 AM
beaverlake
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

We were Bimmer folks. With a few MB in between. Call me crass - but it was the looks and the interior of a 2013 Boxster S CPO that did it. We were smitten. Then we joined PCA and our local chapter and I discovered what driving is all about. Nine months later - into a 991 C2s cab. I binned it going down to Rennsport last year. That led to our current CPO'd 2014 C4s cab. This is a truly amazing car.

But as much as I like the drive, it's the "stop, turn around, look over the shoulder as I walk away" appearance that still gets me. Maybe I'm the Porsche version of "Shallow Hal" . . .

gordon
Old 04-12-2016, 01:37 AM
Sresites
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

The wife bought me a great Valentines present last year in February. An Xtreme Xperience with an MP4, a 458 Italia and last but not least a new GT3. The 458 and GT3 made the McLarren feel like a family car. A month later I had my new toy.
Attached Images  
Old 04-12-2016, 07:56 AM
DNorby
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live about four miles from the NC Museum of Art (notice the pic of the same car as the first post). I saw the Porsche exhibit four times and they had a wonderful 30 minute video. Being an accountant my brain said I would never do it and of course my heart said yes. I started with a 2011 Panamera, a wonderful, comfortable and luxurious car. The engine swallowed a bolt with a month left on the CPO. Porsche gave me a brand new Cayenne to drive for the next two months. When I got my car back with the new engine-no warranty. The value of the Panamera dropped and the best thing to do was to trade it at the dealership for a 2013 911S with a manual transmission. These are two completely different cars to drive and I miss the comfort, but I love the 911S.
Old 04-12-2016, 04:44 PM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Our financial advisor inspired me to get my first Porsche when he let us know that my wife and I were good to go for a comfortable retirement I have had fast sport motorcycles for a long time but the cost is small potatoes compared to a 911. But I had this sudden epiphany that all the stuff that we do to raise our kids and save for retirement was basically done. I was never interested in other sports cars, only the 911. Did a test drive and loved the car. Now waiting for my order to arrive.
Old 04-12-2016, 05:08 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jmh981

Anyway, on topic, seeing the 917K for the 1st time in the film ''Lemans'' got me hooked on racing Porsches - followed by a love of the 956 / 962.
+1 on 917k/956/962, hence had to go to Le Mans! Also, when I was a 'kid' an older mate bought a 930 and it blew my mind So rapid for the time.
Old 04-13-2016, 10:38 PM
mmblz
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Grew up loving cars, especially the 911. Read magazines long before I could drive. Had the "kills bugs fast" poster maybe in high school. Senior prediction referenced me some day buying a 911.

Last year at 35, found out I had stage 3 colon cancer. My wife started scheming and was going to surprise me the last day of chemo. She decided a brand new turbo s was a risky surprise and ran it by me. She had picked the exact right car, exact right color. Worried about what the 991.2 would be we decided to buy right away, and it became the best birthday present I've ever had. Never would have made the decision on my own, so I have her to thank.

Gotta enjoy every moment, you never know what lies ahead.
Old 04-13-2016, 11:29 PM
drmatara
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The inspiration for me was the first 911 turbo. I remember seeing it on the cover of a magazine. I could not believe what I was seeing, the wide tires, the big flared fenders and of course that huge whale tail was like no other car I have ever seen, then the intriguing "turbo" engine which I had no idea what it was but liked the way it sounded, so the decision was made...I had to have a Porsche...but only one small problem at the time, I was living in East Europe and I did not ever seen a Porsche and had no idea how much it was. At 18 I moved to US and saw my first 911...I felt in love all over again, so by the time I was 23 I saved enough for my first 1973 2.0L 914 and loved it, but my sister drove it one time and crashed it so back to shopping and ended up with a 1974 2.0L 914. Few years later I finally could afford my first brand new Porsche. That was a 1998 Carrera S which still is my favorite car I have ever owned. Since then I had a red 996 Cabrio (my midlife crisis lol), a black 997 C2S Cab and the current 991.1 Cab....hopefully next will be the last NA GT3
Old 04-14-2016, 12:51 AM
SkipSauls
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Like many here, I was a car nut, and especially a Porsche nut, from a very young age. My grandfather had been a car salesman and enthusiast, and even though he didn't own one, he told me all about them, and whenever I saw one my heart raced. Over the years various family friends had them, and I got to ride in a "grey market" 930 in the early 80's, and couldn't believe the sensations. My dad got a 911 Cab in '88 or so when I was in college, and I felt like the king of the world on the handful of times I got to drive it. Gunmetal grey with some sort of light interior, very 80's looking, but awesome.

In early 2001 I went shopping for a sporty car, and especially wanted a convertible. I cross-shopped the Boxster, 911 Cab, M3 Convertible, Z3, and even bothered to drop in to see what Mercedes had for the SL/SLK. I was in Colorado, and wore the typical sandals, shorts, and t-shirt on weekends, and got totally snubbed by the Mercedes dealer. The BMW dealer was nicer, but they were acting like total asshats about the M3 being new, blah blah blah. Loved the M3 Convertible, but found the Z3 to feel like I was riding on it rather than in it. The Porsche dealer was the coolest of all, with the salesman saying hop in and letting me take it for a nice drive. He had me punch it a few times, top down, and the glorious sound hooked me. I knew very little about actually "driving" back then, but the Boxster just felt right. I considered the 911 Cab, but the Boxster felt better, looked better, and at the time I had no idea it wasn't really a fast car.

I followed that with a string of used Porsches, including a '96 C4S, an '88 928 S4, a '96 C2 converted into a World Challenge race car/PCA GT2 club racer, then a 2001 GT3 Cup modified for World Challenge duty. I raced a couple of WC races in the 911 before moving to a Viper Competition Coupe, but that screaming GT3 was my favorite race/track car, and I can still hear and feel it vividly in my head. My "last" Porsche was a 2005 C2S, one of the 997 launch cars, and it was my dream car. It turned out to be a lemon, I returned it, and swore off Porsches after the abysmal dealership and regional rep experience.

Fast forward to 2015 and I told my wife that I really, really wanted to get another Porsche, and that I'd gotten over the nightmare. The 991 is, in my opinion, the best looking 911 ever, even better than the 993 and 997, both of which I loved, even given the poor 997 experience. I bought a CPO 2013 C2S Cab, and it's an outstanding car. I drive it daily, and it just feels right, even when I'm plodding through traffic. It likely won't be my last, and quite frankly, I'd have a stable of these things given the space and financial means!

Okay, that went off the rails a bit, but if felt good.

A picture from late 2004 showing the 986 Boxster, 997 C2S, 993 racecar, and 996 GT3 Cup.

Last edited by SkipSauls; 04-14-2016 at 08:11 PM.
Old 04-14-2016, 07:08 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by drmatara
... my first brand new Porsche. That was a 1998 Carrera S which still is my favorite car I have ever owned.
That's a pretty damn good first Porsche!
Old 04-14-2016, 07:34 AM
drmatara
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
That's a pretty damn good first Porsche!
I loved that 993 C2S, unfortunately I only drove it a little over 1 year, put 21K miles on it and totaled it otherwise I would still have it...
Old 04-14-2016, 08:21 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by SkipSauls
A picture from late 2004 showing the 981 Boxster...
Ahh, you must have been an Alpha-tester!

Quick Reply: Question for the group: What inspired you to buy your 1st Porsche?