Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Price advice: CPO 2013 C2S Cab w/repainted fenders+bumper

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2016 | 04:36 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Originally Posted by dgoldenz
In all my years buying cars I've never paid over trade-in value on any of them.
I don't understand how anyone can not pay more than trade-in value. Trade-in is "wholesale" and we all buy cars at retail. The difference is how the dealers make a profit. If you take away their profit, they go out of business and you will end up trying to get warranty repairs done at the VW service center next to the Passat. Maybe Mr. dgoldenz buys cars that have been sitting around for a while or other unique circumstances, but it ain't "normal".

OP: If you've got a bad feeling about the repaint, then walk away. Plenty of fish out there. If you can get over it, and I assume that the car is now pristine, then don't let $1000 get in your way. What they are asking is a fair retail CPO price for a convertible sports car in spring. It would have been cheaper three months ago sitting on a lot in upstate NY. But that's not the case today.
Old 04-05-2016 | 04:57 PM
dgoldenz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MJBird993
I don't understand how anyone can not pay more than trade-in value. Trade-in is "wholesale" and we all buy cars at retail. The difference is how the dealers make a profit. If you take away their profit, they go out of business and you will end up trying to get warranty repairs done at the VW service center next to the Passat. Maybe Mr. dgoldenz buys cars that have been sitting around for a while or other unique circumstances, but it ain't "normal".

OP: If you've got a bad feeling about the repaint, then walk away. Plenty of fish out there. If you can get over it, and I assume that the car is now pristine, then don't let $1000 get in your way. What they are asking is a fair retail CPO price for a convertible sports car in spring. It would have been cheaper three months ago sitting on a lot in upstate NY. But that's not the case today.
I find cars that dealers want off their lots because they've been sitting or private sellers that are motivated. Money talks. Trade-in value is still over wholesale auction value, usually by at least $2k. Try getting "trade-in value" from Carmax, good luck. There's always more room than most people think. If you want to pay "retail" prices be my guest, nothing wrong with that if it makes you happy to have the car at a price you think is reasonable. Personally, I want the deal that makes the GM cry at night, makes it easier to get a new car every few years without getting killed on depreciation. I just helped a friend lease a 2016 Mini Cooper S with $27k sticker for $240/month plus taxes with $0 down and $0 drive off. When we walked in the first day, they wanted $400/month with $2k down for a regular Cooper with $21k sticker. I had a good laugh.
Old 04-05-2016 | 05:06 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Surprised they would let you walk away for $1,000. I've been shopping and while it isn't a bargain, it's a reasonable price for a CPO 4S Cab but maybe a tad high for a 2S.
Old 04-05-2016 | 05:32 PM
DrewTJ50
Rennlist Member

Thanks everyone for the feedback, very helpful!
Old 04-05-2016 | 05:36 PM
R_Rated
Banned

My comment didn't go through on mobile...

FWIW my CPO Cab had less than 3,000 miles and had a 135K sticker. They only marked up my trade 5K even though I thought they gave me a low valuation (Jaguar) given my car was perfect and needed no recon.
Old 04-05-2016 | 06:05 PM
oalvarez
Three Wheelin'

.... The repainted panels definitely impact resale as it has to be explained to any future buyer and they will have the same concerns. Soon as you bring it for a trade-in the first thing they'll say is "well the panels were repainted, that's gonna lower our offer by $5k"
not entirely true, but perhaps your statement is somewhat dramatic in nature. firstly, these aren't vintage automobiles we're speaking of, many of them are put into daily driving duties, stuff happens. some prospective buyers may not want bumpers to be re-sprayed, others might because having visible nicks, chips, imperfections doesn't look all that great under the showroom lights either. there's plenty that a dealer does with their used cars (as do owners!!!) so to hide imperfections from the car's prior life.

Originally Posted by MJBird993
I find cars that dealers want off their lots because they've been sitting or private sellers that are motivated. Money talks. .....
money does talk, i completely agree with you there. however, you state that you buy cars that sit on the dealer lots (unpopular for some reason or another) or from owners who are very motivated (undisclosed problems?) obviously at a price that is lower than "market." my thought would be that these cars would be equally unpopular when it comes time to sell them for the aforementioned reason. or are you able to buy at wholesale and sell at retail each and every time? if so, great for you, it's not easy to do.

Last edited by oalvarez; 04-05-2016 at 07:33 PM. Reason: Spelling/grammar
Old 04-05-2016 | 07:00 PM
go.illini
Pro

Originally Posted by DrewTJ50
How big of a deal is this?
What is the quality of the paint work? Have you examined it carefully?

Will the dealer put in writing what work they've done?

Does it bother YOU that it's been repainted?

Maybe get the dealer to clear bra the car included in the price?
Old 04-05-2016 | 07:09 PM
dgoldenz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by oalvarez
not entirely true, but perhaps your statement is somewhat dramatic in nature. firstly, these are vintage automobiles we're speaking of, many of them are put into daily driving duties, stuff happens. some prospective buyers may not want bumpers to be re-sprayed, others might because having visible nicks, chips, imperfections doesn't look all that great under the showroom lights either. there's plenty that a dealer does with their used cars (as do owners!!!) so to hide imperfections from the car's prior life.
Sure stuff happens, but when it comes to resale, paintwork = lower value, simple as that. Try taking a car with re-sprayed bumpers to a dealer for trade-in valuation and see what they say.

money does talk, i completely agree with you there. however, you state that you buy cars that sit on the dealer lots (unpopular for some reason or another) or from owners who are very motivated (undisclosed problems?) obviously at a price that is lower than "market." my thought would be that these cars would be equally unpopular when it comes time to sell them for the aforementioned reason. or are you able to buy at wholesale and sell at retail each and every time? if so, great for you, it's not easy to do.
I look for good deals, they are out there, doesn't mean there's anything wrong with the car. Some people need quick cash, some dealers can't sell a sports car in the winter, it's not that tough if you know where to look. I bought a C6 Corvette for $35k and sold it for $32k 3 years later. I bought a E92 M3 for $42k and just sold it 3 years later for $37k. I got my dad his Panamera for $10k+ below market value as a CPO. I found a $146k sticker '14 911 S with 9k miles for $76k at Carmax and just bought that. Look around, take your time, and know the market. These are mass market cars with plenty of supply. Half the ones listed on Autotrader have been there for months.
Old 04-05-2016 | 07:43 PM
go.illini
Pro

How is any of this relevant to the OPs question?
Old 04-05-2016 | 07:54 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by DrewTJ50
The dealer has come down to $81.5k but won't go lower than that (rejected my offer of $80,500).
Is there some dealer add on that you deem of value that could be negotiated as part of the deal to help narrow the $1K gap.

Paint Protection Film on that newly painted front end or wheel/tire coverage or prepaid service, etc. Something that you value that can be sold to you cheaper than dealer retail pricing, but where dealer can still make a couple bucks to help sweeten the deal for them?
Old 04-05-2016 | 08:41 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

repaint shouldn't be an issue as long as carfax is clean. I just bought a 2013 and brought it directly to my favorite bodyshop to have the front half repainted and the rest buffed out due to it being a lease return with a lot of small rock chips. Gonna cost me 1500 but well worth it to not have the chips it had and the car was still a deal.
Old 04-05-2016 | 09:56 PM
oalvarez
Three Wheelin'

Sure stuff happens, but when it comes to resale, paintwork = lower value, simple as that. Try taking a car with re-sprayed bumpers to a dealer for trade-in valuation and see what they say.

.......These are mass market cars with plenty of supply. Half the ones listed on Autotrader have been there for months.
As to the bumper re-sprays, I don't agree. Again, a dealer does touch ups, area re-sprays, wheel re-sprays/touch-ups, paintless dent repair....but a prospective buyer would not necessarily know that unless the dealer OR private party was forthcoming (or knew what exactly to look for). Again, a re-sprayed bumper cover should not set the basis for buying a used car or not. That's my opinion.

I do agree with you regarding the cars that sit on auto trader, cars.com, rennlist, pelican, you name it. Unrealistic prices for the most part, and that's why those cars sit as they do (or peanut gallery chit chat that create an unfavorable picture for said car). The ones that garner attention or sell quickly? Most likely due to its sale price being more realistic in nature. No one but the buyer and seller will ever know what exactly was paid.....offer prices are just that; folks can ask whatever price they want for their car but it doesn't constitute where they actually trade. What is known are residual values, depreciation rates, records, appearance, and the like....there is no magic in pricing out a used car.
Old 04-05-2016 | 11:00 PM
petee1997
Burning Brakes

I look for good deals, they are out there, doesn't mean there's anything wrong with the car. Some people need quick cash, some dealers can't sell a sports car in the winter, it's not that tough if you know where to look. I bought a C6 Corvette for $35k and sold it for $32k 3 years later. I bought a E92 M3 for $42k and just sold it 3 years later for $37k. I got my dad his Panamera for $10k+ below market value as a CPO. I found a $146k sticker '14 911 S with 9k miles for $76k at Carmax and just bought that. Look around, take your time, and know the market. These are mass market cars with plenty of supply. Half the ones listed on Autotrader have been there for months.
You should get yourself a dealer license and hustle used cars because you are so good at it. When you have made a lot of money you will be able to buy a new Porsche at less than dealer cost from a dumb *** Porsche dealer. Then you can drive it for two years and sell it at a profit.

With your superior negotiating skills, this should be a no brainer.
Old 04-05-2016 | 11:12 PM
dgoldenz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by petee1997
You should get yourself a dealer license and hustle used cars because you are so good at it. When you have made a lot of money you will be able to buy a new Porsche at less than dealer cost from a dumb *** Porsche dealer. Then you can drive it for two years and sell it at a profit.

With your superior negotiating skills, this should be a no brainer.
You seem upset, maybe have a beer and relax
Old 04-06-2016 | 04:39 PM
petee1997
Burning Brakes

Yes, probably that would do it.

Quick Reply: Price advice: CPO 2013 C2S Cab w/repainted fenders+bumper