Sponsored by:

991.2 4s how does the AWD work?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 10:09 PM
BravoEight
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Just J
Having pounded several different AWD models arounds around Barber Motorsport Park, I can assure you that unpredictability is not an issue with Porsche's system. Movement of torque around the corners is smooth, consistent, and always just what is needed for maximum performance.
Thank you so much! Now I'm happier with my purchase even though my car is not even built yet.
Old 03-19-2016, 10:12 PM
tejstar01
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BravoEight
The problem i have with kick-in type of AWD is that the car movement is unpredictable. It's almost like a gun with random recoil pattern and it will bite you any time when things are going hot. I did some back to back runs with my STI and a 335xi on a local rally cross. The STI is very predictable even with a lot of surface changes. However, the 335xi was really unpredictable and I almost crashed the car on a practice run. I'm not a very skilled driver or professional driver, but you don't have to be a racing driver to feel the differences between AWD systems.
That's because the BMW system is crap for awd! You will not find a better awd system for a sports car than Porsche's AWD. If you need to know how it works and feels why don't you go and drive any 991 4S from 2012 on its the same system for the 991.2.
Old 03-19-2016, 10:20 PM
BravoEight
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tejstar01
That's because the BMW system is crap for awd! You will not find a better awd system for a sports car than Porsche's AWD. If you need to know how it works and feels why don't you go and drive any 991 4S from 2012 on its the same system for the 991.2.
My local dealer doesn't have a 4 variant as a demo car. Also there is no Porsche experience event around my area.

And yes, the BMW AWD is pretty bad. At least my skill level is not enough to compensate.
Old 03-19-2016, 11:10 PM
thomnellie
Racer

Originally Posted by tejstar01
Agreed. On Audi and Porsche the AWD is almost completely transparent. Not so much on the BMW, one of the reasons I've never purchased a Bimmer.
Old 03-20-2016, 03:40 PM
budrichard
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been purchasing and driving 4X4 and then AWD vehicles since the 1970's. I run my own stability/suitability tests in large parking lots at our local University when the conditions are suitable.
I plan on testing the C4S and using as a daily driver in snow and ice with a dedicated winter tire/wheel set.
I also plan on tracking the car at Road America.
I will form my own opinions about whether the C4S can be driven in the conditions I encounter in South East Wisconsin.
I never Posted anything about off road or other conditions.
But 911's have been driven Rallying before!-Richard

Quick Reply: 991.2 4s how does the AWD work?