Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How does the pop and crackle of PSE work?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 06:08 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
That acoustic channel you refer to is the sound symposer and doesn't have anything to do with the pops from the exhaust. It is all induction sound. I am almost certain that all the Carrera S cars have the sound symposer, whether they have PSE or not.
The popping sound is produced by unburnt fuel on the exhaust. I expect the sound symposer enhances that sound.

If I drive my car very gently, there will be almost no pooping sound even with PSE engaged. On the other hand if I accelerate aggressively in second gear and then abruptly take my foot off the accelerator, all hell brakes loose. Since I don't have a racing cam, the sound must have been created by ECU programming.
Old 03-21-2016, 06:34 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
If I drive my car very gently, there will be almost no pooping sound even with PSE engaged. On the other hand if I accelerate aggressively in second gear and then abruptly take my foot off the accelerator, all hell brakes loose.

If accelerating aggressively is causing you to poop yourself... maybe you should take it a little easier.

Sorry I couldn't help it.
Old 03-21-2016, 07:46 PM
DerekS
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 54 Posts

If I drive my car very gently, there will be almost no pooping sound even with PSE engaged.
If my car made pooping sounds it never would have left the dealer's lot!
Old 03-21-2016, 09:38 PM
fast1
Race Car

Originally Posted by DerekS
If my car made pooping sounds it never would have left the dealer's lot!
I shouldn't try to multi-task, and I rely on spell check too much.
Old 03-22-2016, 09:11 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,403 Likes on 812 Posts

I understand your point but the sound isn't fake. In both the case of a race car and a 991 PSE equipped car, it's the sound of unburnt fuel igniting on the hot exhaust. In the case of the 991 it is an "enhanced" sound, based on a conversation I had with a Porsche tech. He told me that the 991 with PSE has an “acoustic channel,” and it consists of a tube housing a diaphragm and a valve. When the driver engages the sport button, the valve opens and the diaphragm goes to work amplifying the mechanical sounds radiating from the intake plenum.

Porsche is trying to keep its wide range of customers happy. There are those who enjoy the relatively quiet 991 and others who want it to sound more sporty. PSE caters to those who want the more sporty or "enhanced" sound.

So the sound is enhanced but I wouldn't call it fake. I reserve that term for what BMW does.
What I'm suggesting is that Porsche mimics the sound of race cars. The race cars dump fuel into the exhaust because they are run very rich to live for 24 hour races mixed with a super hot exhaust. This sound is a byproduct of the environment and requirements for racing.

The street 991 has no requirements of this type. There is no reason to dump fuel, other than to make the noises. It seems phony to me.

Finally, I have no problem with loud. My 993TT is loud as hell and I think it sounds great, but it doesn't have artificial popping and other stuff going on. If there is any popping, its because the dme was attempting to keep the cylinders cool with extra fuel, not for the noise.
Old 03-22-2016, 11:09 AM
fast1
Race Car

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
What I'm suggesting is that Porsche mimics the sound of race cars. The race cars dump fuel into the exhaust because they are run very rich to live for 24 hour races mixed with a super hot exhaust. This sound is a byproduct of the environment and requirements for racing.

The street 991 has no requirements of this type. There is no reason to dump fuel, other than to make the noises. It seems phony to me.

Finally, I have no problem with loud. My 993TT is loud as hell and I think it sounds great, but it doesn't have artificial popping and other stuff going on. If there is any popping, its because the dme was attempting to keep the cylinders cool with extra fuel, not for the noise.
Basically what you are stating is that the sound is contrived, and I would certainly agree with that assertion. The noise is made for noise sake, and is not a byproduct of a naturally occurring engine function. To me however, the word "fake" takes it to a new level; for example running the exhaust sound through the car's stereo system like BMW, but I nevertheless appreciate your perspective.
Old 03-22-2016, 11:10 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,403 Likes on 812 Posts

Basically what you are stating is that the sound is contrived, and I would certainly agree with that assertion. The noise is made for noise sake, and is not a byproduct of a naturally occurring engine function. To me however, the word "fake" takes it to a new level; for example running the exhaust sound through the car's stereo system like BMW, but I nevertheless appreciate your perspective.
fair point. fake is maybe the wrong word. Contrived is better.
Old 03-22-2016, 11:37 AM
beaverlake
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Regardless of the method and relationship to mechanical function, if one reason we drive our cars is to put an ear-to-ear smile on our faces then I'd say form follows function. For so very many of us on RL, the sound of the PSE is part of the enjoyment. Or as my granddaughter says, "Porsche farts rule."
Old 03-22-2016, 11:48 AM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 332 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by beaverlake
Or as my granddaughter says, "Porsche farts rule."
Back to the pooping sound again. ;-)
Old 05-26-2020, 08:12 PM
CaptainOblivious
Advanced

Received 69 Likes on 29 Posts

Thought I'd post here rather than start a new thread. I searched the forum first but came up empty, apologies if this is already a topic elsewhere. So, here goes..

I have a 991.2 GTS4 7MT with (standard on a GTS) PSE. My (old, tech-addled) understanding is that there is very little adjustability in the different driving modes, basically PSE on/off, sport shocks/PASM on/off and Auto-start annoyance on/off, which is basically 8 permutations. Removing the "only on if I forget to disable it" auto-start crapola leaves 4 settings: loud+soft, loud+hard, quiet+soft or quiet+hard.

But lo, when I turn my little wheel from comfort (or whatever) to sport mode, the exhaust note gets noticeably louder overall and off-throttle it pops and crackles quite enthusiastically. Then, when I move it to sport plus, the exhaust note remains loud as in sport mode but the bubblewrap party behind me reduces to an occasional crackle. So my questions are thus: do the extra snaps and pops of sport mode have a performance cost? Is this why they are removed from the sport plus settings, or did Porsche just figure customers at the track don't want to be thought of as posers? And if that's the case, would sport mode with the shock/spring button on the console turned on be equivalent to sport plus mode + bubblewrap? Or is there some other (exhaust or otherwise) performance gain(s) to sport plus of which I am unaware?

Thanks in advance to anyone who may direct me to the thread I couldn't find which explains all of this. Cheers.
Old 05-27-2020, 05:55 PM
CaptainOblivious
Advanced

Received 69 Likes on 29 Posts

I'll interrupt the crickets in here, for the potential benefit of other wayward noob struggling to comprehend this stuff:

So, upon more extensive searching I found this in another thread somewhere.

Which answers the majority of my questions. Obviously there is a lot more going on between these modes than I first understood.

The one thing it doesn't answer, and about which I'm still curious is whether or not the backfires incur a performance cost. If not, why are they excluded from sport+?

Old 05-27-2020, 06:07 PM
Josh(PA)
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainOblivious
I'll interrupt the crickets in here, for the potential benefit of other wayward noob struggling to comprehend this stuff:

So, upon more extensive searching I found this in another thread somewhere.

Which answers the majority of my questions. Obviously there is a lot more going on between these modes than I first understood.

The one thing it doesn't answer, and about which I'm still curious is whether or not the backfires incur a performance cost. If not, why are they excluded from sport+?
any idea what"Drive Response" refers to and what is the difference between Normal and Sport?
Old 05-27-2020, 06:11 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Received 1,233 Likes on 724 Posts

One of the catalytic converters on my 991.1 failed recently, and I can't help but think that this unnecessary fuel/explosion didn't contribute to it.
Old 05-27-2020, 06:12 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,407 Likes on 2,514 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh(PA)
any idea what"Drive Response" refers to and what is the difference between Normal and Sport?
With a Sport Chrono equipped car, "drive response" means improved throttle response.
Old 05-31-2020, 01:39 AM
malahhaor
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts

Quick Reply: How does the pop and crackle of PSE work?