Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How does the pop and crackle of PSE work?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 12:18 AM
knowran
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by CSK 911 C4S
Are some cars with the PSE louder than others with more popping? One car I drove from the dealership was popping and crackling more than mine. Both are 991.1's.
Old 03-21-2016, 02:25 AM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 284 Posts

My PSE equipped car pops and crackles. A lot. I may be in the minority but personally I'd rather it be throaty like PSE minus so may rice crispies.
Old 03-21-2016, 07:58 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,267 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by knowran
Are some cars with the PSE louder than others with more popping? One car I drove from the dealership was popping and crackling more than mine. Both are 991.1's.

Yes. sport + adds even more pops/crackles. Sport adds more than normal too.

In addition, there are a few other things that matter....

The engine exhaust needs to be hot (fully warmed up) to get the most pops.

3500rpm with a warm engine and sport + in first gear and let off the gas.... it sounds like a war behind you.
Old 03-21-2016, 09:54 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,432 Likes on 827 Posts

this is so poser and phony its unreal. Purposely dumping fuel to replicate the sound of a race car is embarrassing.

what a joke
The following users liked this post:
drcollie (05-31-2020)
Old 03-21-2016, 10:25 AM
WCE
User

Received 188 Likes on 91 Posts

In this age of strict emissions and fuel economy standards, I'm not buying the "fuel dump" theory - and how would the ECU know to do this if you installed an aftermarket exhaust?
My theory is the engine is tuned for a certain amount of exhaust backpressure and reducing it upsets the balance resulting in mild backfiring due to the exhaust valve timing being "wrong". Now flames on the otherhand usually accompany ECU reprogramming to make the engine run richer. Those crazy redline neutral revs you see on youtube way overheat the converters and let raw fuel through. Hell on the machinery and even funnier when their Lambo goes up in flames! (except our insurance costs subsidize buying them a new one)
Old 03-21-2016, 10:48 AM
Mlbraptor
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My exhaust tips seem to be black after driving in sport with pse turned on..
Old 03-21-2016, 11:03 AM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
this is so poser and phony its unreal. Purposely dumping fuel to replicate the sound of a race car is embarrassing.

what a joke
Are you as miserable as you seem to be?
The following 2 users liked this post by GSIRM3:
GT4-T1 (07-25-2019), Pavegeno928 (05-26-2020)
Old 03-21-2016, 12:07 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
Are you as miserable as you seem to be?
no, i'm just great.

I hate fake race car sounds...sue me.
Guards_Red_991 (05-27-2020)
Old 03-21-2016, 01:00 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

what a joke
If that's how you feel about tuning an engine to produce enjoyable noises, I don't want to know how you feel about producing engine sounds with the stereo like BMW & V6 Mustangs do.
Old 03-21-2016, 01:09 PM
oalvarez
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
Yes. sport + adds even more pops/crackles. Sport adds more than normal too.
if the PDK lever is set to manual, wouldn't the output be the same? or is it in fact different with the button pushed AND the PDK lever set to manual? anyone?

Originally Posted by Dewinator
If that's how you feel about tuning an engine to produce enjoyable noises, I don't want to know how you feel about producing engine sounds with the stereo like BMW & V6 Mustangs do.
just test drove the M3 and M4 cars.....while the sound inside the car sounded great (made me feel like i was driving a much bigger motor than i was) i still thought of it as being fake or not real. it sounded good to me, but i knew it wasn't real. interesting the psychology behind it.
Guards_Red_991 (05-27-2020)
Old 03-21-2016, 02:39 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by Dewinator
Its not tuning. Its being purposefully idiotic to make some clown thing he's hurley haywood when on his way to his accounting firm.

Don't need the stereo involvement either, but at least thats not being purposefully stupid dumping fuel into the exhaust
Old 03-21-2016, 02:44 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 38 Posts

one wonders what the long term consequences to the proximal headers will be with all these artificial off throttle " fireworks" being set off by the ECU in all these latest euro sports cars ...even my wife noticed the Jaguar F Type pulling away at a gas station ..she said it didnt seem to fit the sleek look of the car ...said it sounded like a teen's modded older Mustang !

I do agree that the F Type is the most overt " offender " ...whether you like it or not, theirs is " cherry bombs " vs our PSE/ Sport Chrono " popcorn " !

With turbos now muffling the boxer 4 718 ...have y'all noticed its use of this off throttle " farting " on factory videos is almost continuous ... to divert ones attn away from the fact that ON-THROTTLE music ( what a high rpm euro sports car motor should be all about ...not 1960s American muscle car- style low rpm burbling on coast down ) ....has likely been diminished vs prev boxer 6 NA versions
Old 03-21-2016, 03:21 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Its not tuning. Its being purposefully idiotic to make some clown thing he's hurley haywood when on his way to his accounting firm.

Don't need the stereo involvement either, but at least thats not being purposefully stupid dumping fuel into the exhaust

I like how it sounds. Otherwise, why not just get like a Tesla? Or a .2? Hehe.
Old 03-21-2016, 04:50 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 222 Likes on 147 Posts

what a joke
I understand your point but the sound isn't fake. In both the case of a race car and a 991 PSE equipped car, it's the sound of unburnt fuel igniting on the hot exhaust. In the case of the 991 it is an "enhanced" sound, based on a conversation I had with a Porsche tech. He told me that the 991 with PSE has an “acoustic channel,” and it consists of a tube housing a diaphragm and a valve. When the driver engages the sport button, the valve opens and the diaphragm goes to work amplifying the mechanical sounds radiating from the intake plenum.

Porsche is trying to keep its wide range of customers happy. There are those who enjoy the relatively quiet 991 and others who want it to sound more sporty. PSE caters to those who want the more sporty or "enhanced" sound.

So the sound is enhanced but I wouldn't call it fake. I reserve that term for what BMW does.
Old 03-21-2016, 05:24 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
I understand your point but the sound isn't fake. In both the case of a race car and a 991 PSE equipped car, it's the sound of unburnt fuel igniting on the hot exhaust. In the case of the 991 it is an "enhanced" sound, based on a conversation I had with a Porsche tech. He told me that the 991 with PSE has an “acoustic channel,” and it consists of a tube housing a diaphragm and a valve. When the driver engages the sport button, the valve opens and the diaphragm goes to work amplifying the mechanical sounds radiating from the intake plenum.

So the sound is enhanced but I wouldn't call it fake. I reserve that term for what BMW does.
That acoustic channel you refer to is the sound symposer and doesn't have anything to do with the pops from the exhaust. It is all induction sound. I am almost certain that all the Carrera S cars have the sound symposer, whether they have PSE or not.

Quick Reply: How does the pop and crackle of PSE work?