Sponsored by:

Oil Change Light

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 02:06 PM
Chiboy
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 1 Post
Default Oil Change Light

Quick background: Got new (leftover 2012) 991 Cab 10/13. Had oil changed by dealer 3/14. Changed oil myself 3/15, but when there was a recall at the same time, they reset my warning light as a favor.

Now it's 3/16 and I am about to change the oil myself. The warning light comes on at start up in yellow saying "Oil Change due now" or some such thing. It goes out after a few seconds. Does it ever get more persistent (annoying) than that? I can live with not resetting the warning light if this is all it does. But if it's going to stay on all the time, then my **** tendencies will likely kick in. I hate to spend $100 or whatever it costs just to turn off a warning light that isn't relevant.

It's too bad you can't turn them off manually, like in my wife's priorLexus, but I guess that there are tradeoffs to be made.
Old 03-18-2016, 02:15 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,407 Likes on 2,514 Posts

Buy the Durametric cable?? And turn off.
Old 03-18-2016, 02:49 PM
Zonian
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Mine has been on for almost a year and two oil changes. Goes on when multi-function display is powered up, goes off if you change the MF display. I've grown used to it. I had thought that dealer service dept. should turn off when presented with proof of DIY oil change, but service manager explained that when maintenance warning is turned off by the dealer service department, the car maintenance record indicates that the service was performed by dealer service dept. Seems reasonable to me.
Old 03-18-2016, 03:12 PM
dwhorton
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Service Manager was BS'ing you, or at least making the problem seem like it's yours to deal with. My dealer has reset my oil change warning with no issues after I changed the oil & filter myself - while car was still under warranty. No charge.
Old 03-18-2016, 04:19 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Yeah, BS. I do agree that a service dept has the right to charge you for the reset, or eat the cost through other margins.... I've changed my own oil and filters from the start, and my dealer has no problem whatsoever resetting service indicators for me without charge when I bring the car in for another reason, such as an alignment after I swap wheels, things like that. But if I showed-up or made an appt for the sole purpose of having my maintenance reminder reset I'd probably pay. I guess it all comes down to how good your relationship with your SA is. I also always purchase my oil filter, crush, etc. from the dealer so that they have records just in case it came up (maint history). As far as I have experienced, resetting the service reminder does not create a false record of changing oil and all that -- because those are all separate line items for labor and consumables, and the reset is just a labor task code within the line item.
Old 03-18-2016, 04:19 PM
Chiboy
Racer

Well, if it doesn't get any more annoying than a 5 second startup pop up, I'll live with it until I have to bring the car to the dealer for something. Then I'll sweet talk them into turning it off.
Old 03-18-2016, 04:20 PM
Chiboy
Racer

Or, I'll buy the tool, although for $300 it hardly seems worth it when all I'm going to be doing is annual oil changes.
Old 03-18-2016, 04:33 PM
Chiboy
Racer

Originally Posted by plenum
I also always purchase my oil filter, crush, etc. from the dealer so that they have records just in case it came up (maint history). .
Same here. Have to let them make money. I just want to do myself the few things I trust myself to do.
Old 03-18-2016, 08:52 PM
Zonian
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

So I was BS'ed. That's sad. It's the story I got after I noted the issue in the customer service survey. Seemed like a reasonable explanation at the time for not doing a simple task when I had the car at the dealer service dept for other issues. I'll be doing all my oil changes and keeping receipts. I don't plan on buying overpriced parts from a dealer an hour away so guess I better work on my charisma or get the tool.
Old 03-18-2016, 09:07 PM
SDaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Buy the Durametric cable?? And turn off.
LexVan is right. I performed the 1 yr/ 10K service on my 991 GTS today and the Durametric worked perfectly to let the car's CPU know the service was completed. Note, this was the third oil change for so that work went quickly, given earlier experience
Old 03-18-2016, 10:41 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 847 Likes on 425 Posts

Or find a cool dealer that will turn it off for you if they are not busy for nada.

Old 03-18-2016, 11:13 PM
Duke I
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Any risk to using the durametric?
Old 03-18-2016, 11:25 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,718 Likes on 5,120 Posts

Originally Posted by Duke I
Any risk to using the durametric?
I would argue there are more risks in not using a Duramtric when you get a fault code.
Old 03-19-2016, 11:52 AM
GoTexas
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Just purchased the iCarsoft POR-II Porsche OBD-II Scanner Tool i960-II NEW version for $100 less than the Durametric. The new version of this tool resets the oil service reminder where the previous version didn't.
Old 03-19-2016, 03:11 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,194 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by GoTexas
Just purchased the iCarsoft POR-II Porsche OBD-II Scanner Tool i960-II NEW version for $100 less than the Durametric. The new version of this tool resets the oil service reminder where the previous version didn't.
what year is you car?

Quick Reply: Oil Change Light