Sponsored by:

Dropping my 2015 F80 M3 for a 2015 991 3.4

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2016, 12:45 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,870 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by fastdiablo
You're worried about wheel upkeep and you're buying a black car? Have you ever owned a black car?
And base 991...mehhhh To each his own, but a base 991 at 80k makes little sense when a 991s can be had for the same money. Plenty of well spec'd cpo S cars out there.
Not at $80k out the door. For $73k + TTL, you're not getting a really low mileage CPO 14S. You're getting a higher mileage 13.

While I own an S, I totally see the appeal of this car at this price point. Especially in black with those wheels. That car rocks. And OptiCoat the car and it'll shed dust and clean up fast and easy. I own two black cars and they're no harder to keep clean that other colors I've owned, but both are coated.

OP, there's actually a great video on YouTube of a base Carrera just like this one compared against a 981S on a short track. The idea was to prove that the mid engine platform was better than the rear one, particularly on that type of track. Except when they actually ran them against each other the base Carrera stomped the 981S and looked way more composed doing it. Suggest you search that up and watch it. It has some good video of how good the base car handles.

Edit: Here's the link. Skip to the 9:30 mark if you want his conclusion about the base Carrera.

Old 03-12-2016, 05:26 PM
findtom
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 88 Posts

Wow, not much love on here for the base C2. I had 2 C2 PDKs before my GTS, that 3.4 is an outstanding engine. You can not go wrong with the base car, and at $80k, great price. However, there are a few key options I think your C2 might be missing....

All 911s should have Sports Chrono, the dynamic mounts come with the package and really add "something". Also, I wouldn't buy a 911 without SPASM. My last C2 had SPASM, not only did it lower the car and add some nice stance, it added a tiny amount of extra feel. For me it's all about the feel.... My GTS doesn't have SPASM and I really miss it.

Oh and you NEEEEEDDD a Sports Exhaust!

Hope that helps!

Last edited by findtom; 03-13-2016 at 08:23 AM.
Old 03-12-2016, 06:20 PM
chapter_11
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 3 Posts

All good points guys....thanks for the opinions and feedback.

1) In re: the $80k price and options for a used/CPOd S - I have searched high/low and have not been able to find a 2014 or 2015 under 10k miles anywhere near the price I am getting this 3.4 for. I have no issues with going the used route - just do not see anything out there with the same price point.

2) I still say that this being my first P Car, it kind of makes sense to enter at the base level and work up from there. This will be a daily driver - as will any future P car I get, so seeing if the setup works for that purpose is key (and would rather do that at a lower price point)

3) Archimedes - thanks for that video link. I had watched it about a dozen times before I posted this thread. It is a great analysis of the base car.

4) Fastdiablo - understood on the maintenance a black car requires. Black would not be my first choice - but I am willing to overlook it for the right deal. I did note that the metallic black seems to hide swirls better than the flat black, so I have that going for me....

5) Findtom - agreed, I wish it had the sportchrono and PSE adds, but just like the black color - I had to look the other way for the right deal.]

All in, I think I will probably pull the trigger on this one - seems like a nice entry point at the right price.

Still open to feedback, insight and feedback by the way!
Old 03-12-2016, 07:02 PM
dds007
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I currently have both f82 and 991TT. Also have a base 997.

As good as a base is, coming from something as sporty as an M...you should really really consider just getting a 991 S. You will be much happier you did.
Old 03-12-2016, 07:09 PM
997s07
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by chapter_11
All good points guys....thanks for the opinions and feedback.

1) In re: the $80k price and options for a used/CPOd S - I have searched high/low and have not been able to find a 2014 or 2015 under 10k miles anywhere near the price I am getting this 3.4 for. I have no issues with going the used route - just do not see anything out there with the same price point.

2) I still say that this being my first P Car, it kind of makes sense to enter at the base level and work up from there. This will be a daily driver - as will any future P car I get, so seeing if the setup works for that purpose is key (and would rather do that at a lower price point)

3) Archimedes - thanks for that video link. I had watched it about a dozen times before I posted this thread. It is a great analysis of the base car.

4) Fastdiablo - understood on the maintenance a black car requires. Black would not be my first choice - but I am willing to overlook it for the right deal. I did note that the metallic black seems to hide swirls better than the flat black, so I have that going for me....

5) Findtom - agreed, I wish it had the sportchrono and PSE adds, but just like the black color - I had to look the other way for the right deal.]

All in, I think I will probably pull the trigger on this one - seems like a nice entry point at the right price.

Still open to feedback, insight and feedback by the way!
Go with the base, it is all you will ever need. If you want torque go ahead and get a Merc. By the way, if you are interested in a real rear engine to a mid engine comparison try this video - it is a bit lengthy but worthy. I love my base model and it is my daily driver, I did own a Cayman S for daily duties before that. The video shows the Cayman S and the base Carrera in a time attack - similarly powered and both in coupe form. Despite the power advantage and the really well put together multi link rear suspension of the 911, the Cayman essentially has the same lap times on a long track. The driver is a former race driver with a few Porsche Motorsports events under his belt. Porsche means revving engines, the 3.4 does it really nicely, better than the 3.8. The 2.7 in the Cayman is even better (about 100 hp / liter like the 991 3.4) but gotta stop somewhere.
Old 03-12-2016, 07:43 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

I've driven a base and didn't come away thinking it was under powered. All N/A Porsche's feel under powered due to the steady torque curve. They are all very quick though. I would have no issue owning a standard Carrera as long as it was equipt correctly. Where the Carrera is underwhelming is the suspension, sound and braking department. Brakes and exhaust can be easily remedied in the after market but the suspension may not be as easy. Try to at least get a m030 or s pasm suspension with SC. Probably the most valuable of all options for it to feel sporting in my opinion.
Old 03-12-2016, 07:52 PM
RichAA
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love my Carrera 3.4. It's what I wanted and what I looked for. Mine is a 7MT, sunroof delete, 4 way seats, 19" wheels, Sport steering wheel. It has Bose, which in hindsight I don't care much about - it's almost never on; same with NAV.

It's black/black, exactly how I would have ordered it. Found it with low miles and CPO. There wasn't (isn't) a scratch on it, inside or out (ok, there is on one of the wheels). I put on a tow hook license plate mount, so not even a drilled bumper. Plain and boring to some, I realize. Got it out of storage yesterday and I've been driving it all day. It's not boring to me.

My best friend has a beautiful S and it's exactly what he wanted. Isn't it great we have options?

Good luck whatever you decide! You'll figure it out.

Last edited by RichAA; 03-12-2016 at 08:09 PM.
Old 03-12-2016, 09:41 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by dds007
I currently have both f82 and 991TT. Also have a base 997.

As good as a base is, coming from something as sporty as an M...you should really really consider just getting a 991 S. You will be much happier you did.
I disagree, the base car is very much on par with the M4 at about 80 -100 hp less (as you may know M4s dyno over their claimed 425hp). M4 just isn't a well sorted car and definitely doesn't feel as fast/alive in your hands.

This video sheds some light on the experience of the 2 cars.
Old 03-12-2016, 10:14 PM
oalvarez
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
My concern would be having PDK without Sport Chrono option. Maybe I overlooked it in your option list......
OP / CP_11 ,

have little to no concern regarding not having the Sport Chrono package w/ that PDK car.....trust me please. if you're using the car for commuting/daily driving purposes, you will not miss it....trust me. i've had it, now i don't, and my 991.1 C2 still amazes me.

if you have to have it then pay up a bit and get it! hec, you can even add the option (minus the engine mounts and clock) at a later date. pretty simple if you ask me, and remember, it's your money and no one else's.
Old 03-12-2016, 10:20 PM
DrCGuerra
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have owned 4, M3 (1994.5 E36, 1995 E36, 2001 E46, 2010 E92). I ordered a 2015 M4 but decided to buy a 2015 Cayman GTS. IMO, BMW M3 cars have lost some of their character after the E46. If you are trying to buy your first Porsche, consider a Cayman GTS because it's a fabulous car for about the same price you are looking at an entry level 911. I currently own a 2016 991.1 GTS. Traded in my Cayman for it but it was not an easy decision. If you don't need the rear seats, go with a Cayman GTS. It will outperform the base 911, is more comfortable, & has a useable trunk. It will come with Sports Chrono. Also, get the manual. Review Steve Sutcliife's autocar video & you'll see why the Cayman GTS is special.
Old 03-13-2016, 12:18 AM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,009 Likes on 600 Posts

Def go for a used CPO S in the 80k range. You will super happy you did. These cars are bullet proof and a 10-20k miles is nothing for these motors. Also you get extended warranty coverage. I would look for an 991S with Sports Exhaust, SPASM and Sport Chrono. I think in the long run, you will be happy you did.

I drove an F8x M3 back to back with my 991s and the BMW just felt so sloppy in comparison. You will never be able to go back once you make the move.
Old 03-13-2016, 12:56 AM
Dbull65
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

I have a base C2, I get S envy from time to time...there I said it....but then I get into my C2 and drive the heck out of it and my S envy is gone. I love my black C2 991 it is truly an awesome car. As far as the black maintaince goes, I put a clear bra over the front and Opticote over the rest of the car. It is fairly easy to maintain. The 3.4 does not have the torque down low, but I keep the revs up and the car shoots down the road. Also I have put my teenage kids in the back seats for short drives of about an hour with no complaints from them. To the OP, I think you will love the C2!
Old 03-13-2016, 10:34 AM
SJJ28
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 44 Posts

Put me in the long time M3 owner (have owned them all, raced 3 of the versions, and had multiples of a few), who dumped the f80 for a 991 and couldn't be happier camp! The f80/82 lacks character. It's brutally fast (especially with a tune), has a useable back seat, and is very aggressive (in a good way) looking, especially with the M accessories and some springs installed. The interior is great, the technology is good. It just lacks something. My biggest beef is the steering. I've tried to explain it, and some agree, some don't. When I made the decision to get rid of it, my choices were to spend double and get a new GTS, or spend roughly 70%and go back to a e90 m3. I went for the GTS, and 2 miles down the road I knew I had made the right decision.
Old 03-13-2016, 01:36 PM
oalvarez
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by DrCGuerra
I have owned 4, M3 (1994.5 E36, 1995 E36, 2001 E46, 2010 E92). I ordered a 2015 M4 but decided to buy a 2015 Cayman GTS. IMO, BMW M3 cars have lost some of their character after the E46. ...l.
Completely agree. I test drove the M3 and M4 over the last few days......there is no comparison between those and the Carrera...none. If one wants a true sport car experience then there is no substitute for the 991.
Old 03-13-2016, 03:22 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by SJJ28
The f80/82 lacks character. It's brutally fast (especially with a tune), has a useable back seat, and is very aggressive (in a good way) looking, especially with the M accessories and some springs installed. The interior is great, the technology is good. It just lacks something. My biggest beef is the steering
+1 exactly my experience. I would add the exhaust note and drone didn't improve the ownership experience, nor that the car can't put its power down and was just too big/hefty for me.

Quick Reply: Dropping my 2015 F80 M3 for a 2015 991 3.4