Techart vs H&R springs...

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2018, 04:12 PM
Anuj Chokshi
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default techart

Originally Posted by s4one
I have used techart springs that came off my 991.1 c2 available if any one is interested, pm me.
i am interested in these springs. Can you email me at anuj.chokshi@gmail.com
Old 08-19-2018, 04:17 PM
Anuj Chokshi
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Techart

Originally Posted by whiteflashe90
My Techart springs are for sale. They were installed on a 991.1 C2, which I recently sold for a 981 GTS
PM me!

im not able to PM. Maybe bc I am new to the group. If available can you email me anuj.chokshi@gmail.com

anuj
Old 08-23-2018, 01:35 PM
dj997
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

Anyone have pics of a 991.2 lowered with techart on stock 20" wheels?
Old 08-23-2018, 01:51 PM
trips
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by dj997
Anyone have pics of a 991.2 lowered with techart on stock 20" wheels?
Sorry not stock wheels, but stock size. The back isn’t quite low enough for my taste. May go with the HR springs to bring it down a touch.

Old 08-23-2018, 02:49 PM
dj997
Instructor

Thank you!! It looks great! Are the HRE's a different offest than stock? spacers at all?
Old 08-23-2018, 03:10 PM
TAGMotorsports
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 242 Likes on 157 Posts

Thank you!! It looks great! Are the HRE's a different offest than stock? spacers at all?
No spacers on HRE Forged wheels as those are tailor made to each specific vehicle. ( at least there shouldn't be any spacers)

web: www.TAGMotorsports.com - email: sales@tagmotorsports.com
Authorized Dealer For: HRE, Vossen, TechArt, AWE, Bilstien, KW, Akrapovic, Capristo, Fabspseed, BBI, Vorsteiner, Milltek, 1016 Industries, BBS, Brembo, GMG, H&R, Pirelli, Michelin, Hankook & more.

TechArt & AWE Tuning's #1 Volume Dealer Nationwide
Old 08-23-2018, 03:17 PM
dj997
Instructor

Thank you!!! I wish you guys were in NorCal!!!
Old 08-23-2018, 09:36 PM
Cman21
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nothing better than a trip on the PCH :-))

Cman21
Old 08-23-2018, 09:50 PM
TAGMotorsports
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 242 Likes on 157 Posts

Cman21 said it best below!

Originally Posted by Cman21

Nothing better than a trip on the PCH :-))

Cman21
Yup! Sounds about right!
Old 09-13-2018, 12:08 AM
ModQuench
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TAGMotorsports
Cman21 said it best below!Yup! Sounds about right!
H&R updated their site to say the sport springs for the 991.2 now work with Front Axle Lift, where previously my only option was TechArt. I called H&R, and they confirmed the new sport springs do work with Front Axle Lift equipped 991.2, mine being a Carrera S with Sport PASM. I know that you guys say great things about the Techart springs, but I really want THE MOST AGGRESSIVE DROP.

My question is can anybody confirm which is going to truly give me more drop? H&R says the sport springs provide from stock a

1.20" front drop, approximately 30.5mm
1.00" rear drop, or 25.4mm

Again, my car is equipped with Sport PASM, meaning it's already 20mm lower than regular sport setup. So is H&R my best option for the most aggressive drop from current S-PASM....from what I can deduce, with H&R sport I will gain:

10.5mm in front from current S-PASM
5mm in back

And Techart says between 5-10mm total....so which one is a more "aggressive" drop? I see some of you in the thread saying H&R gets more drop, and others saying Techart is lower. While it seems everybody agrees that ride quality seems to even improve with Techart. With that said, my question again, which one will give me more of a drop.

Best,
Elie
Old 09-13-2018, 12:42 AM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,189 Likes on 628 Posts

Originally Posted by ModQuench
but I really want THE MOST AGGRESSIVE DROP.

With that said, my question again, which one will give me more of a drop.

Best,
Elie
Being a track guy, its like running your fingers down a chaulk board when I hear someone say that all they want is 'The most aggressive drop."

Without a care in the world as to how that was achieved. Not a hint or mention of spring rate or spring length, or geometry correction afterwards.

Generally speaking, if you just drop your car, and do nothing else, it will handle worse. When pushed hard a lot worse than stock. Your geometry is all over the shop.

I won't get into adjustable end links and correction. I just would like to mention spring rate. You can have two springs both 170mm in length. One is 50N/mm and the other is 80N/mm. The stiffer one will have a higher ride height.

It will handle a lot better than the soft springs that sag and lower the car. Low does not equal handling. Stiffer, lower with corrected geometry and decent tyres = better handling. If you say you just want the slammed look, I will hear the nails on the board. LOL. Base Carrera is a piddly 24/48 Really soft. GTS is 33/108 GT3 45/120N/mm.
Old 09-13-2018, 08:57 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by 4 Point 0
Being a track guy, its like running your fingers down a chaulk board when I hear someone say that all they want is 'The most aggressive drop."

Without a care in the world as to how that was achieved. Not a hint or mention of spring rate or spring length, or geometry correction afterwards.

Generally speaking, if you just drop your car, and do nothing else, it will handle worse. When pushed hard a lot worse than stock. Your geometry is all over the shop.

I won't get into adjustable end links and correction. I just would like to mention spring rate. You can have two springs both 170mm in length. One is 50N/mm and the other is 80N/mm. The stiffer one will have a higher ride height.

It will handle a lot better than the soft springs that sag and lower the car. Low does not equal handling. Stiffer, lower with corrected geometry and decent tyres = better handling. If you say you just want the slammed look, I will hear the nails on the board. LOL. Base Carrera is a piddly 24/48 Really soft. GTS is 33/108 GT3 45/120N/mm.
completely agreed. I’m a track guy also, but still want to drive my car on the street. I’ve used lowering springs on a number of cars (porsche, BMW Audi and Mercedes) and, after installing Ohlins Road and track coilovers on my 991, what a mistake lowering springs are, in my opinion, even if the car is used only on the street and never on the track. They have their place I guess, but knowing what I know now about suspensions and how the various components work together, I would never install another set of lowering springs. If I did, I would use Eibach pro kit or Techart, but after my coil overs, but it is easy to see how a set of coil overs with significantly stiffer spring rates (70Nm front and 120nm rear) can handle so smoothly and not harshly at a less firm setting just because the shock is built that well to accommodate the stiffer springs. And these Ohlins handle incredibly well at the track. My car is lowered exactly 20 mm from stock. Interestingly, my partners 2018 targa 4 gts (Which he’s keeping in my garage right next to my car) is an eighth of an inch higher or so.

Old 09-13-2018, 09:17 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,261 Likes on 590 Posts

^ Used to agree with all of the above—until I drove a 997.1 Turbo with PASM and H&R springs.

Where lowering springs alone ruined every car I tried them on, PASM changed things by effectively measuring oscillations and altering its damping to suit. In the case of the 997.1 Turbo, which had a hot mess for a spring rate/damper combo from the factory IMO, the car was notably BETTER with H&Rs alone. Another car from the same shop (Champion) with the same springs with PASM dampers plus another $12-14k~ in GT3 suspension bits and other upgrades was one of the best-handling road 997s I've ever driven...and that's where it gets interesting. The shop shipped out a set of $10k (perhaps more) coil-overs set up by Manthey Racing and the car's handling went downhill in a big way. I have little doubt the setup might have been good for the Ring, but it was awful on CA back roads and in general. No question in my mind the car was more confidence inspiring and ultimately faster on the stock PASM dampers and H&R springs. Incredulous, the shop changed the whole car back to how it was to see if I really thought that, and the magic was back.

I'd driven cars with coil-overs that were fabulous, and coil-overs that are horrible. Same goes for lowering springs...comes down to matched dampers in both cases, and PASM seems to like lowering springs. I'm about to test that theory out on a base 991.2 Carrera with TechArt springs (maximum drop is not what I am after). I hear good things about TechArt springs from folks I trust, and their product on a 997.2 Carrera S really impressed me. We'll see...
Old 09-13-2018, 09:34 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
^ Used to agree with all of the above—until I drove a 997.1 Turbo with PASM and H&R springs.

Where lowering springs alone ruined every car I tried them on, PASM changed things by effectively measuring oscillations and altering its damping to suit. In the case of the 997.1 Turbo, which had a hot mess for a spring rate/damper combo from the factory IMO, the car was notably BETTER with H&Rs alone. Another car from the same shop (Champion) with the same springs with PASM dampers plus another $12-14k~ in GT3 suspension bits and other upgrades was one of the best-handling road 997s I've ever driven...and that's where it gets interesting. The shop shipped out a set of $10k (perhaps more) coil-overs set up by Manthey Racing and the car's handling went downhill in a big way. I have little doubt the setup might have been good for the Ring, but it was awful on CA back roads and in general. No question in my mind the car was more confidence inspiring and ultimately faster on the stock PASM dampers and H&R springs. Incredulous, the shop changed the whole car back to how it was to see if I really thought that, and the magic was back.

I'd driven cars with coil-overs that were fabulous, and coil-overs that are horrible. Same goes for lowering springs...comes down to matched dampers in both cases, and PASM seems to like lowering springs. I'm about to test that theory out on a base 991.2 Carrera with TechArt springs (maximum drop is not what I am after). I hear good things about TechArt springs from folks I trust, and their product on a 997.2 Carrera S really impressed me. We'll see...
perhaps the exception to the rule. I heard the same thing about the same car with the same Springs and actually drove one. A lot of 997 owners do not like PASM shocks after a while.
Old 09-13-2018, 10:17 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,261 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by awrryan
A lot of 997 owners do not like PASM shocks after a while.
^ Tell me more about this, please. Do they get worse with time, or does the "faszination" dry up? In other words, is it the dampers or the drivers?

Quick Reply: Techart vs H&R springs...