Sponsored by:

Techart vs H&R springs...

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2018, 05:31 AM
Old Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Talking Lowering the 911

This string was very helpful for me because I've been thinking about lowering our 2017 Base Carrera 911...for performance? Not really. For looks? Well, yeah. See my avatar: the 911 at Fontana this week. Also the enclosed photos. Our suspension is the basic 10mm drop unit. Look at the photos. It works great just as delivered from the factory! Really, really great!! Seems that those Porsche folks actually know what they are doing. But when parked, there has to be 1-2" from the top of the tires to the wheel arch lip. Hmmm. So falling to the vanity and ego Gods, reckon I'll lower the car. Side bar: TAG is very near where I live; great shop; handles Techart and does very well. Great folks. If you are looking at HREs, they are the go-to shop, for sure. The fact that HRE trusts them to be their go-to fitter/installer says a lot. Those of you dealing with them will be well-looked after. Back to the topic: most of you all post great photos but it looks to me like your cars are appearance art. Our 911 is a daily driver and track/autocross machine. For example: the 27th June I spent 3-4 hours tracking on the Fontana ROVAL with Fast Toys Club. (FYI, we have almost 15000 miles on it as of today.) My sense is that there is value to dealing with a proper race shop when it comes to suspension changes. Some of your posts would seem to indicate that you are getting springs sent to your house to install DIY. Yikes. Oh, I should mention that my Porsche race shop aligned the suspension to have -1.6 front camber, and -1.8 rear (with 3.5mm toe)...before I went to Fontana. My tire wear during the track day was absolutely even across the entire tire...all 4 of them. Installing, for example, H&R springs isn't a simple spring only install. You also have to correct the bump steer; deal with tie rod ends and such. And of course, realign the car to match the new settings. I'm leaning towards pulling the plug and lowering the car. Have already priced out the under car spoilers and such that I reckon I'll have to replace once or twice/year. To conclude: I hope I am totally wrong about my "appearance art" comment. Honestly, if you aren't getting on the track to blast full-throttle around a track you really are missing something. Lava Orange car? Trust me: it's impossible to speed around town or on the freeways. At the track? Joyous fun!!
Old 07-03-2018, 08:32 AM
oalvarez
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

^ Exactly right @Old Guy! The great folks at GMG included a custom alignment after installing the Techart springs and I could swear that it’s felt in the steering and cornering. Not inexpensive but I know it was done right. The car definitely looks better too.

Btw, I love your Lava Orange Carrera. Such a great color!
Old 07-03-2018, 09:54 AM
speedyj
Rennlist Member

Received 281 Likes on 169 Posts

Anyone have a pic of a PASM equipped 991.2 on stock rims with a techart drop?
im on the fence and would greatly appreciate pics
Old 07-03-2018, 11:39 AM
.2PDK
Drifting

Received 1,201 Likes on 725 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Guy
Lava Orange car? Trust me: it's impossible to speed around town or on the freeways. At the track? Joyous fun!!
That Lava Orange is simply awesome.
Old 07-11-2018, 04:04 AM
Old Guy
Rennlist Member

New but related topic (for which I have a similar post on the 991.2 oil/filter change thread). So we lower the car an inch or so, and we have a plastic oil pan. Are they better than the previous metal ones when it comes to running over things? Does anyone know of a tuner selling a sump shield of some kind that would fit under the engine of our cars and take the hit when/if we run over a rock or something?
Old 07-11-2018, 04:08 AM
Old Guy
Rennlist Member

PS: Thanks for the comments about the color. Much appreciated as buying the car initially had me quite apprehensive...but the longer we owned it, the better we liked it
Old 07-18-2018, 12:32 AM
Old Guy
Rennlist Member

Just spent a full track day, again at AAA Speedway, but this time with a professional coach/instructor. Bottom line: I am NOT going to lower the car. Stock, it works great. That said: I'm already scraping bits of the under-car plastics. And as the car is, I can only, just, get my low-rise jacks under the car. One inch lower? no way. To emphasize, our 911 is not a weekend cruiser. Crossed 15,000 miles at the track. Trust me: most of us have no idea what the 911 is capable of. I was blown away when my coach ran 140 mpg around the oval where for me about 110 is tops.

The 911 is up on JackPoint stands in our garage and I'm busy cleaning off rubber marks and re-doing the wax job, and all that stuff.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:17 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Guy
New but related topic (for which I have a similar post on the 991.2 oil/filter change thread). So we lower the car an inch or so, and we have a plastic oil pan. Are they better than the previous metal ones when it comes to running over things? Does anyone know of a tuner selling a sump shield of some kind that would fit under the engine of our cars and take the hit when/if we run over a rock or something?
Not completely sure but I’m pretty sure no way will a plastic one be stronger than a metal one. From what I remember hearing, they switched to plastic to try and keep weight down back there considering the additional weight of the new turbos, and/or because of fitment issues.
Old 07-24-2018, 12:19 AM
Old Guy
Rennlist Member

Re-reading this entire thread. All I can conclude is that Porsche knows more than we do. You can see our car's attitude under hard cornering. Why would I want it to be any lower? While I would like to have the "looks" of an 1" or so lower car when the car is sitting in my garage or at Sunday's Cars & Coffee, when it comes to track speed function: nope. Gonna leave the stock suspension - stock. BTW, complete new wheel/tire set arriving this week courtesy of getPorscheparts; shipped all the way from Germany. Carrera Sport 5 spokes, P-Zeros, TPMS - all fitted and balanced. Will use these for my daily driving.
Old 07-29-2018, 02:21 AM
ModQuench
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a 991.2 Carrera S with S-PASM and FAL (Front Axle Lift). From what I have read, my only option for a drop is the techart springs, and seems like a barely noticeable drop from the factory S-PASM which is already lower than regular PASM. Is everybody certain that H&R springs just can't work with Front Axle Lift? Maybe somebody from TAG can chime in here.

Best,
Elie
Old 07-29-2018, 06:50 PM
z3mcoupe
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 98 Posts

I have read this entire thread too, and sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, but I've a lowering question.

I have a base '17 car, and was wondering if the tech art springs will lower it to the same ride height as the SPASM equipped cars.

Alternatively, does anyone have a good source for obtaining SPASM OEM springs for the 991.2? I checked at suncoastparts and they don't seem to carry them.
Old 07-30-2018, 03:09 PM
dj997
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by TAGMotorsports
Peter,

All Techart Springs lower about 25-30mm regardless of model, and about 10-15mm on cars with PASM. The Turbo might give the illusion that it is lower because the wheels on that car are 21" all around. The wheels on the 991.2 C2S are actually 20", they are HRE FlowForm FF04. Another thing to keep in mind is tire brand. The 991.2 has Michelins, while the 991.1 C2S has Pirellis. Although the tires identical in size they sometimes differ slightly in shape and affect how the car looks once on springs.
For a daily driver can you realistically run 21" wheels with the techart springs without rubbing issues?
Old 07-30-2018, 03:57 PM
TAGMotorsports
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 242 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by ModQuench
I have a 991.2 Carrera S with S-PASM and FAL (Front Axle Lift). From what I have read, my only option for a drop is the techart springs, and seems like a barely noticeable drop from the factory S-PASM which is already lower than regular PASM. Is everybody certain that H&R springs just can't work with Front Axle Lift? Maybe somebody from TAG can chime in here.

Best,
Elie
Techart is typically what we use around here because of the milder drop. You can use the H&R Sport Spring with your car which lowers the car another 10mm from where it is now up front and another 5mm in the rear. From the feedback we've received from customers, the H&R spring does not ride as well as the Techart. This all of course depends on what you are looking for from your suspension setup.

Originally Posted by dj997
For a daily driver can you realistically run 21" wheels with the techart springs without rubbing issues?
Yes absolutely! We have done 21" wheels with Techart Springs countless times and never ever do they rub. One of the best combinations in my opinion.

Originally Posted by z3mcoupe
I have read this entire thread too, and sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, but I've a lowering question.

I have a base '17 car, and was wondering if the tech art springs will lower it to the same ride height as the SPASM equipped cars.

Alternatively, does anyone have a good source for obtaining SPASM OEM springs for the 991.2? I checked at suncoastparts and they don't seem to carry them.
The Techart Springs will lower the car ~5mm more than the SPASM cars.

web: www.TAGMotorsports.com - email: sales@tagmotorsports.com
Authorized Dealer For: HRE, Vossen, TechArt, AWE, Bilstien, KW, Akrapovic, Capristo, Fabspseed, BBI, Vorsteiner, Milltek, 1016 Industries, BBS, Brembo, GMG, H&R, Pirelli, Michelin, Hankook & more.

TechArt & AWE Tuning's #1 Volume Dealer Nationwide
Old 07-30-2018, 07:17 PM
oalvarez
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

i absolutely love the ride height and ride quality of my PASM 991.1 GTS with Techart springs (pic above). i think it's perfect; any lower and it simply would not work as a daily (unless the car was equipped with a FAL).
Old 07-30-2018, 08:03 PM
flatsick
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I went with H&R, To me the drop is not enough. A met a guy at the local 70th anniversary party who had the Techart Springs on his Carrera 4. His seemed to be about 1/4" - 1/2" lower than mine. Instant remorse. Either way, its better than the supreme stock height and the ride is close to what it was before.

Here are a couple pics with the 20's and H&R

Name:  UZnxY6F.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  1.98 MB
Name:  lGgXDCt.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  2.44 MB

Name:  yJ2EVkM.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  2.78 MB

Quick Reply: Techart vs H&R springs...