Sponsored by:

Techart vs H&R springs...

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 08:09 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 777 Posts

Originally Posted by 4 Point 0
Just got these bad boys to go over Tractive Coilovers.

75 N/mm Front and 150 N/mm Rear
nice!
Old 09-22-2018, 12:55 AM
speedyj
Rennlist Member

Received 281 Likes on 169 Posts
Default Techarts on 991.2s

Here are some pics of a 991.2s with rws and pasm... 15/8 spacer combo

Old 09-22-2018, 06:13 PM
JPMD
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 66 Posts

^^^^^^^^^^^
Looks perfect. Good post.
This was the look I was going for (same rims) but was way to low with H&R
Old 09-24-2018, 01:36 PM
TAGMotorsports
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 242 Likes on 157 Posts

All these cars are turning out really good! If anyone is on the fence about going with the Techarts feel free to give us a call and we can go a bit more in depth!

web: www.TAGMotorsports.com - email: sales@tagmotorsports.com
Authorized Dealer For: HRE, Vossen, TechArt, AWE, Bilstien, KW, Akrapovic, Capristo, Fabspseed, BBI, Vorsteiner, Milltek, 1016 Industries, BBS, Brembo, GMG, H&R, Pirelli, Michelin, Hankook & more.

TechArt & AWE Tuning's #1 Volume Dealer Nationwide
Old 09-24-2018, 04:47 PM
mtksurfj
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just had my H&R springs removed (previous owner installed) and my car feels like a 911 again. It was way too low and stiff and now it’s road worthy and feels good around corners. My 2cents is that H&R lowering springs look great when the car is parked but the ride and handling aren’t worth the “stance”.

Ps: this is my 4th 911 and I have a racing history (F2000) so my tastes might be different than the reader’s
Old 10-26-2018, 06:12 PM
ModQuench
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

My car already had the 20mm lower SPASM springs, and I still wanted to adjust stance a tad with spacers to bring the fronts out a bit and the rears just a tad more flush. I also have FAL (front axle lift) and decided to go with H&R springs and couldn't be happier. Do your research here with pricing, I noticed some vendors selling the H&R springs for double what I found them for online. I went with a huge reputable online source, I won't name names but rhymes with Fire Track.

The car handles better than before in my opinion, feels a tiny bit stiffer. Looks a bit better for my taste, with a gain of an additional 12mm drop (roughly a 0.5") over my already lower SPASM setup on all four corners. All four corners are now pretty flush with fenders, will take pics in a few days when it's all settled and I take one more final set of measurements. For now here is a quick pic from date night with my wife last night and a quick stop at Publix this morning, where shopping is a pleasure.
Attached Images   

Last edited by ModQuench; 10-29-2018 at 01:05 AM.
The following users liked this post:
tourenwagen (07-18-2020)
Old 12-01-2018, 09:16 PM
JAM2
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by JPMD
2018 991.2 Targa 4S PASM
H & R were to low changed back to stock immediately after seeing it sorry no pictures. Was only looking for slight decrease in height similar to the SPASM but this was to low. Front looked very low. Wheels cleared fender but on angle car appeared to be sitting on the wheels. Would need spacers.

After the fact research including this thread Techart would most likely have been perfect but wiil keep stock for now given the purpose of the Targa and other GT cars soon to be delivered.

I wish you had pictures. I am on the fence with adding springs on the Targa 4gts. It currently has the same wheel gap as my sq5. 🤦*♂️
Old 12-02-2018, 09:49 AM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,146 Likes on 629 Posts

Originally Posted by mtksurfj
I just had my H&R springs removed (previous owner installed) and my car feels like a 911 again. It was way too low and stiff and now it’s road worthy and feels good around corners. My 2cents is that H&R lowering springs look great when the car is parked but the ride and handling aren’t worth the “stance”.

Ps: this is my 4th 911 and I have a racing history (F2000) so my tastes might be different than the reader’s
surprised there’s not more talk of eibach for this reason given their progressive spring rates for more comfortable driving, mild drop, reputation and being OEM for techart.
Old 12-02-2018, 06:02 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,261 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by ModQuench
My car already had the 20mm lower SPASM springs, and I still wanted to adjust stance a tad with spacers to bring the fronts out a bit and the rears just a tad more flush. I also have FAL (front axle lift) and decided to go with H&R springs and couldn't be happier. Do your research here with pricing, I noticed some vendors selling the H&R springs for double what I found them for online. I went with a huge reputable online source, I won't name names but rhymes with Fire Track.

The car handles better than before in my opinion, feels a tiny bit stiffer. Looks a bit better for my taste, with a gain of an additional 12mm drop (roughly a 0.5") over my already lower SPASM setup on all four corners. All four corners are now pretty flush with fenders, will take pics in a few days when it's all settled and I take one more final set of measurements. For now here is a quick pic from date night with my wife last night and a quick stop at Publix this morning, where shopping is a pleasure.
Great looking car. Metallic white, or plain? Or? Almost looks a bit like Geyser Grey (in a good way) in these pics...thanks for sharing them. Guessing you are running the bigger spacers up front?
Old 12-03-2018, 12:39 AM
ModQuench
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
Great looking car. Metallic white, or plain? Or? Almost looks a bit like Geyser Grey (in a good way) in these pics...thanks for sharing them. Guessing you are running the bigger spacers up front?
Thanks the car is actually Guards Red, I have an autoflex coating on the car, essentially grown up version of plastidip with clear gloss. Was shooting for chalk, but it lightened up quite a bit with the gloss. It's got tons of orange peel in it, but it peels right off, and is supposed to last me 5 years or so.

Before anybody asks why I didn't just buy a car in a color I wanted.....this particular 991.2 was fully loaded with all the options I absolutely wanted including manual trans, just slightly used with 3k miles, plenty of warranty, front axle lift, rear axle steering, heated and ventilated seats, PSE, S-PASM, and on and on and on.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:02 AM
Dymag
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by garfunkle

surprised there’s not more talk of eibach for this reason given their progressive spring rates for more comfortable driving, mild drop, reputation and being OEM for techart.
I highly recommend Tecart springs. Mild drop and ride quality remains Porsche 911. Cornering is improved.
Techart springs are made by Eibach to Techart specs, but Eibach springs are not the same spring. The ride height is similar, but the rate is different.
Techart worth the difference in price. Highly recommended
Old 12-03-2018, 06:58 PM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,146 Likes on 629 Posts

Originally Posted by Dymag
I highly recommend Tecart springs. Mild drop and ride quality remains Porsche 911. Cornering is improved.
Techart springs are made by Eibach to Techart specs, but Eibach springs are not the same spring. The ride height is similar, but the rate is different.
Techart worth the difference in price. Highly recommended
Do you have any details on spring rates?

I don't have experience to debate the virtues between the 2 but I struggle with the "value" difference since there's no way there is any meaningful difference in cost to make - just an additional middle man and/or brand markup IMO.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:07 PM
Dymag
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by garfunkle
Do you have any details on spring rates?

I don't have experience to debate the virtues between the 2 but I struggle with the "value" difference since there's no way there is any meaningful difference in cost to make - just an additional middle man and/or brand markup IMO.
Not at all uncommon for a large manufacturer to make products for smaller companies, to their bespoke specs. As but one example is Vossen wheels. They make their own wheels, and wheels for Champion Motorsports, along with several others. The Champion wheel specs are bespoke to Champion; many consider Champion Wheels superior and worth the added cost; the weights are lower and the designs are different. The differences, in this case, are measurable and visible to us.
Eibach makes springs for numerous small companies and tuners - not just Tecart/Porsche. Quite common in the automoive world and manufacturing in general.
The Techart springs are made to specs that allow for a small, but noticeable improvement in cornering. The other benefit encountered by Porsche owners of Techart springs, is an extended service life over "standard" Eibachs. The Eibachs are quite good, and would be my choice if I did not intend to keep my 997.2 C4S for many years.
Each of us, of course, choose where to spend our hard earned Porsche Dollars and where we will receive the most gain per dollar for our desired results.

Last edited by Dymag; 12-04-2018 at 01:58 PM.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:29 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Have the TechArts on a 991.2 Carrera and they're much as everyone says: they ride nice & look good.

Downside is that their progressive rates, which make the ride a bit nicer around town, can overwhelm the PASM curves when the springs get compressed into the upper rate range, which seem to be designed with straight-rate springs in mind. This is a 2-8% of the time issue, most noticeable over a significant bump at speed that introduces porpoising—of which there are not many where I live. Adding DSC from TPC helped, but it seems they prefer H&R's straight-rate springs, and I have yet to drive a setup from Levitas I don't like. So, if I had it to do over again, I'd ask Tom or Mike at TPC for their thoughts on H&R's VTF setup, with variable perches. I wonder if Mike can specify the rates with that setup, as well. I suspect those springs, DSC, and a rear bar or maybe both bars might get pretty interesting. Add Cup rubber, and I suspect the car might be a nice-riding beast.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:30 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ModQuench
Thanks the car is actually Guards Red, I have an autoflex coating on the car, essentially grown up version of plastidip with clear gloss. Was shooting for chalk, but it lightened up quite a bit with the gloss. It's got tons of orange peel in it, but it peels right off, and is supposed to last me 5 years or so.

Before anybody asks why I didn't just buy a car in a color I wanted.....this particular 991.2 was fully loaded with all the options I absolutely wanted including manual trans, just slightly used with 3k miles, plenty of warranty, front axle lift, rear axle steering, heated and ventilated seats, PSE, S-PASM, and on and on and on.
Ha. So that explains what I thought was some color shift on my screen, or maybe PPF and no PPF on fenders to doors. Car is a stunner.

Quick Reply: Techart vs H&R springs...