Sponsored by:

Techart vs H&R springs...

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 11:09 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,272 Likes on 673 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
^ Used to agree with all of the above—until I drove a 997.1 Turbo with PASM and H&R springs.

Where lowering springs alone ruined every car I tried them on, PASM changed things by effectively measuring oscillations and altering its damping to suit.

Hi Stout, I have just purchased Tractive Coilovers that are controlled by an updated software on the DFC control module. Its like S-PASM on steroids lol. Porsche collect a lot of data, but PASM is not using much of it. That is where DSC comes in. Then the Tractive coilovers react to that information 17 x faster than PASM. It is the only system that can adjust mid stroke. I am dying to see if 75 / 150 will be stock like comfortable and way better on the track.
Old 09-14-2018, 12:21 AM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 106 Posts

^ Tell me more about this, please. Do they get worse with time, or does the "faszination" dry up? In other words, is it the dampers or the drivers?
the 997.1 turbo I drove was incredible (h&r springs were the only mod). Smooth, not harsh, flat cornering and well damped. Same opinion about the springs on. 996.1 C4S. Those cars were relatively new though. What I heard/read is unhappiness after some miles because of a harsher ride. Could be because shocks prematurely wore out or simply needed replacement. Some simply don’t like pasm because of they feel it unable to damp stiffer springs as well despite what you and I both felt. A guy on the racing forum with a gt3, Jake951, didn’t like them and would not go back but loves the ohlins.

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...1-carrera.html

I liked the TechArt springs on oem b4 non-pasm shocks on my base 997.2 carrera. Switched to Bilstein b6 shocks and ride was firmer and a little more harsh. Car still leaned too much initially and was too soft. Ok or great for around town. No good for track. Attributable to initially softer spring rates on progressive techarts which are eibach. Same opinion about eibach in my Audi A4 and Mercedes 190e. My ohlins with significantly stiffer spring rates don’t feel significantly stiffer than stock. I know they are but the shock controls it better. I’m at 8 out of 20 for Max firmness on Rear and 7 in the front. Sometimes easier to chat about this. Pm me if you want to discuss. I know that you routinely test drive cars so you may be able to put into words what I learned and felt with different set ups and lowering springs etc.
Old 09-14-2018, 01:48 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 611 Posts

Here to learn, also, and some interesting feedback above. Always wondered about how PASM would do over the longer haul with stiffer and "shorter" springs, whether they would wear quicker, and by how much. Can't take any of the above as gospel without more data, but it looks like I am about to collect some myself.

As for DSC, Tractive, etc, you don't have to convince me of the genius when it comes to suspension out of TPC. I've been a fan of their work for nearly 20 years now...every car of theirs I've spent time with—and some of them a lot of time with—has been nothing less than brilliant. If I ever do a full-on road car suspension the right way, there's a very good chance the car will be shipped to Maryland. And that says a lot, as there are good shops here in CA.
Old 09-14-2018, 06:43 PM
Holdens
Rennlist Member

Received 330 Likes on 143 Posts

Another point of view from someone who DOES NOT plan on tracking their car.

I wanted the lower look as my car did not come with SPASM. After reviewing the options and talking to some folks I went with the Tech-Art springs. The car rides BETTER than stock and LOOKS better than stock. As far as handling is concerned - it handles well enough for the street. I have yet to hold anyone up in the corners...
Old 09-14-2018, 07:21 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 611 Posts

Originally Posted by Holdens
Another point of view from someone who DOES NOT plan on tracking their car.

I wanted the lower look as my car did not come with SPASM. After reviewing the options and talking to some folks I went with the Tech-Art springs. The car rides BETTER than stock and LOOKS better than stock. As far as handling is concerned - it handles well enough for the street. I have yet to hold anyone up in the corners...
^ Interesting feedback, and makes sense if the springs are progressive...and because the 991.2 Carrera has surprised me by being anything but soft in certain situations on the street. In terms of "roll jostle", especially, it is NOT a soft setup...reminding me more of a 996 GT3 than a 991.1 Carrera with PASM or no.
Old 09-14-2018, 08:14 PM
2010panny4S
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

following as I'm considering either spring or full coilover on my 991.1. My previous cars all had full coilover as Springs didn't do as much as coilovers could.
Old 09-15-2018, 12:24 PM
ModQuench
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Pretty tough to just get a straight forward answer to a question in this thread without getting completely bashed. To each his own, have a great weekend guys.
Old 09-15-2018, 04:42 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by ModQuench
Pretty tough to just get a straight forward answer to a question in this thread without getting completely bashed. To each his own, have a great weekend guys.
who bashed you?
Old 09-16-2018, 12:18 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

^ Used to agree with all of the above—until I drove a 997.1 Turbo with PASM and H&R springs.

I remembered that article...you talked about the great handling on that White Turbo.
Old 09-16-2018, 01:27 PM
JPMD
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 71 Posts

2018 991.2 Targa 4S PASM
H & R were to low changed back to stock immediately after seeing it sorry no pictures. Was only looking for slight decrease in height similar to the SPASM but this was to low. Front looked very low. Wheels cleared fender but on angle car appeared to be sitting on the wheels. Would need spacers.

After the fact research including this thread Techart would most likely have been perfect but wiil keep stock for now given the purpose of the Targa and other GT cars soon to be delivered.
Old 09-17-2018, 05:59 PM
edkwon
Racer

Received 246 Likes on 97 Posts

Been reading through this thread, a lot of info to sift through and unpack.

I'm looking to buy a 991.1 Turbo soon, and it comes with standard 10mm drop PASM. I plan mostly street and canyon driving with an occasional track day here and there. I'm gathering tech art springs are probably my best option?
Old 09-17-2018, 06:27 PM
TAGMotorsports
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 422 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by edkwon

I'm looking to buy a 991.1 Turbo soon, and it comes with standard 10mm drop PASM. I plan mostly street and canyon driving with an occasional track day here and there. I'm gathering tech art springs are probably my best option?
Techart should be just right for you, I can assure you that you will not be dissapointed!

web: www.TAGMotorsports.com - email: sales@tagmotorsports.com
Authorized Dealer For: HRE, Vossen, TechArt, AWE, Bilstien, KW, Akrapovic, Capristo, Fabspseed, BBI, Vorsteiner, Milltek, 1016 Industries, BBS, Brembo, GMG, H&R, Pirelli, Michelin, Hankook & more.

TechArt & AWE Tuning's #1 Volume Dealer Nationwide
Old 09-17-2018, 06:45 PM
Holdens
Rennlist Member

Received 330 Likes on 143 Posts

Yes! Unless you want to spend thousands more on an adjustable set up that will only benefit you on the track at higher speeds... I am more than happy with the Tech Arts for street performance driving!

Originally Posted by edkwon

Old 09-17-2018, 08:02 PM
mwlmd
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Currently having Techart and Europipe installed.
Old 09-18-2018, 06:41 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,272 Likes on 673 Posts

Just got these bad boys to go over Tractive Coilovers.

75 N/mm Front and 150 N/mm Rear

Quick Reply: Techart vs H&R springs...