Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st 991 GTS with GT3 aerokit

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2016, 02:17 PM
Tangerine
Pro

Received 125 Likes on 72 Posts

Hold up--how did you get Android on there?
Old 11-12-2016, 02:59 PM
ccjin
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

install video interface for pcm 3.1 and connect android box to interface (qaudcore running on lollipop)

now you can use waze, android auto, google search all the apps from google playstore on your oem touchscreen. sound is from oem speakers. what i really like is the google voice search. switching instantly to oem pcm with long press nav button. data is coming from 4g wifi dongle - no phone connection needed

installing this thing is tricky but not impossible
i had no experience with car av till now
Old 11-12-2016, 03:28 PM
Sayyaaf
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

interesting

Old 11-12-2016, 04:20 PM
Tangerine
Pro

Can you still use the OEM functions?

Edit: sorry I can't read, you said you could and I see how it works from the video. Super interesting--I don't care for the PCM at all, would love to have Android Auto on there. That's the main reason I didn't have any interest in the 991.2 head unit--everything Android for me, don't want to start with iOS.

Last edited by Tangerine; 11-12-2016 at 04:25 PM. Reason: I can't read
Old 11-12-2016, 04:59 PM
Tangerine
Pro

Ok, after looking around a bit there is a distinct lack of info on this available in English. Can anyone provide a good source in English which gives confidence on compatibility? I have Burmester audio and I want zero chance this would be incompatible.
Old 11-12-2016, 05:19 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,618 Posts

This is very cool. What's an android box? Sorry, been out of Android world a while.
Old 11-13-2016, 05:36 AM
Sayyaaf
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
This is very cool. What's an android box? Sorry, been out of Android world a while.
I believe something like Apple tv but more Phone like Software. google it.
Old 11-13-2016, 07:24 AM
ccjin
Advanced

google android navigation box

it is like a phone without the screen - the screen us your oem pcm touchscreen
Old 11-13-2016, 09:41 AM
c_Gio
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Can do same w apple?
Old 11-13-2016, 05:41 PM
Tangerine
Pro

This should probably all go in another thread if people are interested, but to sum up what I could figure out:

It's two parts: 1) a video switcher component which (typically for PCM 3.1) you hold the Navi button for a few seconds to switch. Some people just want this and they are done.

2) and Android device that runs Android Auto and is able to use the display/touchscreen of the PCM. There are different ones, some support installing a SIM card for data, many will use local wifi (so you can use your phone to share a local access point for your car, since logically you just need data when you are in it).

There's different video switchers, and different Android boxes. This is why you'll see it offered as a service--you need to pull the PCM out and take it apart to install everything. Watch some of the videos and if any of it scares you then I suggest you don't try this yourself.

Also if you try it yourself, ordering these bits and knowing what is compatible for your car might be tricky. Most of them support switching over to the backup camera when the car requests it and displaying parking lines, but if something isn't working right you might be stuck.

All really interesting stuff. Does anyone know of an installer in the US who would do this?
Old 11-14-2016, 07:54 AM
ccjin
Advanced

here is another one installed in turbo
Old 11-16-2016, 06:32 AM
ccjin
Advanced

Originally Posted by Tangerine
This should probably all go in another thread if people are interested, but to sum up what I could figure out:

It's two parts: 1) a video switcher component which (typically for PCM 3.1) you hold the Navi button for a few seconds to switch. Some people just want this and they are done.

2) and Android device that runs Android Auto and is able to use the display/touchscreen of the PCM. There are different ones, some support installing a SIM card for data, many will use local wifi (so you can use your phone to share a local access point for your car, since logically you just need data when you are in it).

There's different video switchers, and different Android boxes. This is why you'll see it offered as a service--you need to pull the PCM out and take it apart to install everything. Watch some of the videos and if any of it scares you then I suggest you don't try this yourself.

Also if you try it yourself, ordering these bits and knowing what is compatible for your car might be tricky. Most of them support switching over to the backup camera when the car requests it and displaying parking lines, but if something isn't working right you might be stuck.

All really interesting stuff. Does anyone know of an installer in the US who would do this?
hi tangerine

no worries all these switches with parking lines etc are options ... get shure that video interface is for pcm 3.1. the many diffrent android boxes are all diffrent in structure and software. be shure that android is a quad core A9 prozessor and running at least on 4.4 better 5.0.2 thats it.

if you install everything right - you turn your keys and press nav button you are in android mode. press again nav button you are in oem mode.

i would recommend install (wire) this through a shop. the only thing is good 3g/4g connection if you dont have data this box is useless.
Old 11-22-2016, 12:23 PM
DrCGuerra
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ccjin
yes i thought about frontlift and techart offer me one for around 8000 k € (with installation) but to be fair and using the car on weekly basis i dont need one. i realised i can live without.

i drive the ramps more from the side and never get in big problems so far. yes the underside of the frontlip get some scratches but its a changing plastic piece right?
i know that the GTS lower lip is painted thats more the problem.
I am thinking about just purchasing the EOM front bumper (I do know need the the rear since I already have the ducktail and wing). Do you happen to know what the part number is? Also, do you know if the GT3 front bumper is any lower than the GTS bumper with the full Aero kit? Thanks
Old 12-14-2016, 08:19 AM
Bjmax
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@ccjin I see you exchanged the exhaust and took the old Techart. I'm doing the conversion on my 991 to gt3 do you have your old exhaust the Techart for sell. Iam in the Netherlands.
Old 04-02-2017, 01:19 PM
ccjin
Advanced

Thanks to you all R-listers

for all support and Information and great comments

i changing to Mclaren 720s have seen the car in Geneva and last week at my dealer ... this is the next evolution supercar for me. 720s is a MSO order and i´m looking forward to create something special again

will keep my one off GTS for my Wife as a fun car - very easy to drive- she loved the GTS

Thanks again to everyone and bye bye
Attached Images    

Quick Reply: 1st 991 GTS with GT3 aerokit