Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ordered Car w/o SPASM

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2016 | 01:51 PM
oalvarez
Three Wheelin'

round and round we go.

OP....you created this thread for a multitude of reasons, one being out of concern. having said that, the lack of SPASM will most likely bother you at the end of the day. the fix? have the oem parts installed by your dealer if that's the case. if not, great, you've saved a few bucks.

next,
Old 02-17-2016 | 01:54 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LnC993
+1

That 10 mm is less than the width of a person'ts ginger tip and I've hard time pick out SPASM equipped car at dealer's lot.
I'm a freak - I dont seem to have any ginger tips - maybe I have PASM-S and I dont know it? ;D
Old 02-17-2016 | 02:15 PM
kwikit356
Rennlist Member

Maybe Larry can tell us if the DSC PASM/SPASM control module can help you feel better, though it won't lower your car.

I sold my Cayman R to get the GTS. The Cayman had the sport suspension, with no adjustments at all. The roads here in the East, particularly Massachusetts, are just awful. Though the sport suspension, as opposed to the PASM/SPASM conundrum, presents a different issue altogether, I finally went with straight PASM, mostly due to ride height concerns. I bought the GTS to get a great road car, which it certainly is. I'd much prefer to have SPASM if my planned use of this car was to be more track focused.

Having said all this, there is no doubt that SPASM makes the car look a lot better. But, unless I'm reading threads like this one, I rarely even think about it.
Old 02-17-2016 | 02:19 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kwikit356
Maybe Larry can tell us if the DSC PASM/SPASM control module can help you feel better, though it won't lower your car.

I sold my Cayman R to get the GTS. The Cayman had the sport suspension, with no adjustments at all. The roads here in the East, particularly Massachusetts, are just awful. Though the sport suspension, as opposed to the PASM/SPASM conundrum, presents a different issue altogether, I finally went with straight PASM, mostly due to ride height concerns. I bought the GTS to get a great road car, which it certainly is. I'd much prefer to have SPASM if my planned use of this car was to be more track focused.

Having said all this, there is no doubt that SPASM makes the car look a lot better. But, unless I'm reading threads like this one, I rarely even think about it.
DSC significantly improves the handling over the OEM setup - a bargain mod IMO.

I would probably have optioned PASM-S on my GTS if it had been available for the Cabriolet, but in all honesty I'm trashing my front lip every time
I pull out of the driveway ... who knows what it would be like with PASM-S!

you can always lower the car on H&R, TechART, Damptronics, KW H.A.S, or Elephant options aftermarket.
Old 02-17-2016 | 03:03 PM
findtom
Racer

Sooooo, I hate to be the harbinger of doom but, having just come from a C2 with SPASM to a GTS without, I really miss it. I thought it wouldn't make much of a difference but I was wrong.

The car feels different and bobs more, plus it does look "higher", which I hate.

So I have approached my dealer to see if they could just install the SPASM. They can't. Won't even consider it.

The only thing I can do is fit a lowering kit on a 6 month old car. Here in the UK my OPC is telling me if I do that it will invalidate my warranty.

Food for thought.

Tom
Old 02-17-2016 | 03:06 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by findtom
Sooooo, I hate to be the harbinger of doom but, having just come from a C2 with SPASM to a GTS without, I really miss it. I thought it wouldn't make much of a difference but I was wrong.

The car feels different and bobs more, plus it does look "higher", which I hate.

So I have approached my dealer to see if they could just install the SPASM. They can't. Won't even consider it.

The only thing I can do is fit a lowering kit on a 6 month old car. Here in the UK my OPC is telling me if I do that it will invalidate my warranty.

Food for thought.

Tom
order the PASM-S OEM springs, and find a independent mech to install them I guarantee no dealer will notice the difference even under inspection since the
springs will have OEM p/n#'s
Old 02-17-2016 | 03:10 PM
findtom
Racer

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
order the PASM-S OEM springs, and find a independent mech to install them I guarantee no dealer will notice the difference even under inspection since the
springs will have OEM p/n#'s
I think that is good advice, but is SPASM only the springs or are there other parts?? Sway bars etc?

I should also say to the OP, that my issue is that I have already owned a car with SPASM, I'm not sure that you will notice the difference if your first Porsche doesn't have it.
Old 02-17-2016 | 03:13 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by findtom
I think that is good advice, but is SPASM only the springs or are there other parts?? Sway bars etc?

I should also say to the OP that my issue is that I have owned a car with SPASM, I'm not so sure that would notice the difference if your first Porsche doesn't have it.
That's a good question to which I dont think this forum has arrived at a definitive answer, as I recall it may (at least) include sways/ARBs but it
may also include different shocks and controllers etc

I think going with the springs (and sways) would be a good compromise

(you can check this if you can decode PET part #s)
Old 02-17-2016 | 03:29 PM
oalvarez
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
That's a good question to which I dont think this forum has arrived at a definitive answer, as I recall it may (at least) include sways/ARBs but it
may also include different shocks and controllers etc
and that's why i believe ordering SPASM is the way to go.......installing lowering springs is the band-aid approach in my opinion.
Old 02-17-2016 | 03:33 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by oalvarez
and that's why i believe ordering SPASM is the way to go.......installing lowering springs is the band-aid approach in my opinion.
I dont disagree - the other route I would advocate would be to go directly to Bilstein B16 Damptronics and be done with it.
Old 02-17-2016 | 03:41 PM
arlan in arizona
Racer

OP here

I would like to thank everyone that took the time to give advice and state opinions. The replies were just about as I expected them to be. So, do I feel better about the car? Yeah, somewhat. Is it going to bother me the entire time I own the car? I have no idea. I do know I will never track the car so do I need SPASM? No. Do I like the look of the car with SPASM? Yes. I guess only time will tell. And I do know that I will not be making suspension modification to it.

Any future comments are welcome and again Thank You All.

Arlan

Last edited by arlan in arizona; 02-17-2016 at 03:54 PM. Reason: fixed typo
Old 02-17-2016 | 04:57 PM
oalvarez
Three Wheelin'

i don't understand why the word "track" has to be used in the same sentence as "SPASM". i don't think it does.
Old 02-17-2016 | 05:17 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

i don't understand why the word "track" has to be used in the same sentence as "SPASM". i don't think it does.
I agree. I had SPASM on my previous 997 GTS and on my current 991 GTS. Never tracked either one but sure wanted SPASM for my street use, especially the 991 GTS. To me, the regular PASM is too soft on the 991. Plus the lowered stance helps appearance.
Old 02-17-2016 | 05:20 PM
911sccab
Racer

Originally Posted by titleistaddict87
OH NO!! Say it ain't so!! Well at this point you pretty much have a car that is unfit to be driven and clearly the only solution is to put it and you out of your misery by paying someone to take it away (i.e. me). Shame on you for ruining an otherwise good car and it's going to be a real burden on me to figure out what to do with it.

Haha.

In all honesty, if this is the major worry you have right now, sit back, have a cold one, and be thankful you have an amazing car coming your way to be driven for many year in health and happiness. I am 100% certain once you have the car you will enjoy it and not even think about this.
This! (Oh, I have PASM and I feel fine.)
Old 02-17-2016 | 06:17 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Agree. I think the people using it are those who don't have a SPASM car or haven't spent much time in one.

The benefit of SPASM in my opinion, aside from the perfect stance, is that it solves the too hard or too soft issue with PASM. To me, PASM normal is too soft and PASM sport is too firm. SPASM Normal is perfect, as it splits the difference and gives a perfect on road feel IMO. It just works great in any street situation.

Again, I do think that, you only notice it if you drive a SPASM car. If you've never driven one, you won't have any issue with PASM.

When I was test driving cars, it only took me about two minutes to realize that I'd only buy a SPASM car.

Quick Reply: Ordered Car w/o SPASM