Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GTS questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 11:43 AM
PatrickC23
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Forgot to add that I do not track my car, if I did, I would not have gotten CLs.
Old 02-16-2016, 12:05 PM
gofit
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 25 Posts

I had the same question recently. I got this response from Dewinator:

You'll notice when you up shift at or near redline, it is near instantaneous as well. The delay when you are driving slow is the computer has to engage the gear you have selected before switching to it, because it is prepared for a downshift. I.E you are driving around town in 2nd, the gear it engages on the odd gearbox is 1st so it can switch to it with only disengagement/engagement of the clutches because it wants to go fast. If you select 3rd, it has to change from 1st to 3rd before the clutches can switch you from the even gearbox to the odd gearbox.
Old 02-16-2016, 01:48 PM
rxtrom
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Actually, I don't believe that's accurate -- there are other parameters changed by SPORT+ that can make a person want to use it even when not running to redline. Which is why I drive in Sport+ about 85% of the time. Most noticeable difference is the nature of rev-matching and burblefarts on manual downshifts. Loosening up PSM's traction control interference is fun for those times (no more than once a day, I promise!) when you want to break the rears loose a little bit on a 180 degree u-turn, which I have to do to leave my office and head east (direction of my home.) There's a median so I have to go up to the light, then u-turn and head back east. Goosing the throttle just right allows for some righteous tail wiggling!
Well I guess the BA was really trying to sell the car to bring those other parameters to light by using SportPlus.
Old 02-16-2016, 02:14 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

LOL, it was you who suggested he should have prevented the test driver from pushing the Sport+ button ("I'm surprised the salesman let you drive it in Sport+ because that's only for redline.") I was just listing reasons an owner might want to use Sport+ even in daily driving, and I still haven't figured out why an SA would need to prevent somebody from test-driving with the S+ button pushed? Somehow I've managed to avoid damaging my car with it so far.
Old 02-16-2016, 04:08 PM
CChung
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

He not only let me put it in sports plus but told me I wasn't driving aggressively enough. I know Porsche doesn't recommend the engine revs to go over 4000rpm during break in so I wasn't trying to redline it or anything, especially if this was the car I was going to buy! Incidentally, they're offering about 7% off sticker, good deal or not?
Old 02-16-2016, 04:24 PM
PatrickC23
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL, it was you who suggested he should have prevented the test driver from pushing the Sport+ button ("I'm surprised the salesman let you drive it in Sport+ because that's only for redline.") I was just listing reasons an owner might want to use Sport+ even in daily driving, and I still haven't figured out why an SA would need to prevent somebody from test-driving with the S+ button pushed? Somehow I've managed to avoid damaging my car with it so far.
Im still waiting to hit Sport+ in my GTS - spring cant come any sooner. I have had it 2.5 months only gotten gas once!
Old 02-16-2016, 04:40 PM
rxtrom
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I was being sarcastic, basically.. I see your point that the SportPlus is for more than the PDK carrying the RPMs to redline, I have not used SportPlus yet since I do not manually shift and my car is currently being broken in, so I believe you when you say it has those other parameters. The sarcasm was that those "extra" parameters are very minor and not worth showing off SportPlus in a new car that was not even broken in yet, especially on a test drive where the new buyer is not used to the car and focusing all senses on shifting the paddles at the correct time while letting the other features of the car glaze over. Simply not worth it when Sport mode is 80% of the way there for the experience.

Like the OP said, he didn't push it since he may buy the car. My point was if the BA was giving test drives in SportPlus mode how many before him? How many drove it is SportPlus while letting PDK shift.. I was thinking out loud.

This post is detracting from the original question but I just wanted to clear that up.
Old 02-16-2016, 04:53 PM
elitex
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 21 Posts

Call me crazy but I feel that Sportsplus firms up the suspension even more than sport.
Old 02-16-2016, 06:31 PM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

According to a Silverstone instructor there is an (extremely small) performance advantage to CLs. They centralise the mass of the wheel more than 5-lugs (the bolts being the heaviest part of the wheel) and so fractionally reduce inertia.
Old 02-16-2016, 07:04 PM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by MagicRat
According to a Silverstone instructor there is an (extremely small) performance advantage to CLs. They centralise the mass of the wheel more than 5-lugs (the bolts being the heaviest part of the wheel) and so fractionally reduce inertia.
I always thought CLs were for rapid tire change on the track (in the pits).
Old 02-16-2016, 08:02 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by CChung
He not only let me put it in sports plus but told me I wasn't driving aggressively enough. I know Porsche doesn't recommend the engine revs to go over 4000rpm during break in so I wasn't trying to redline it or anything, especially if this was the car I was going to buy! Incidentally, they're offering about 7% off sticker, good deal or not?
Nope. Wrong. https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8250...ery-diary.html I did ask about break-in, and got the following answers: “for American customers, we must recommend you to keep it below 4200rpm, for everyone else we suggest use it as you normally would: careful while cold, then flat out.
Old 02-16-2016, 09:57 PM
Bartron
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IIRC from the GT3, the shifts also got faster once the car warmed up. So if the car wasn't up to temp, shifts may legitimately have felt slowish.

For the CL's, once you have the tools and familiarize yourself with the minutiae, it's not that tedious.The special grease gets everywhere so wear gloves. If you're doing it yourself, get one of the HDPE wheel guides made by a rennlister. You'll need to have someone pressing the brake pedal when loosening or tightening when up on blocks. Most of us usually use a carpentry spreader against the seat and brake pedal for pedal pressure.
Old 02-19-2016, 02:20 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

I just test drove a 2016 GTS wirh PDK and have a few questions for owners:
1-I feel about a half second delay in upshifts even in sport plus mode between the time you pull the paddle to when you feel it shifts. Is that what you find too? Downshifts are instantaneous.
2-The center lock wheels are beautiful but concerned about their practicality. Do you need to go to a Porsche dealer to replace the tires or are there many independent tire shops that can handle center lock wheels? And how long do you find your tires last, especially the rears which I'm sure wear faster than the fronts.
3-Are center lock wheels more prone to get stolen? Have you heard of any cases of theft? Thanks for any replies.
Originally Posted by chuck911
Nope. Wrong. https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8250...ery-diary.html I did ask about break-in, and got the following answers: “for American customers, we must recommend you to keep it below 4200rpm, for everyone else we suggest use it as you normally would: careful while cold, then flat out.
Hey CChung, just to keep things real for you, be aware Chuck991 has never driven a 991, never broken in any new 991 motor, and has never broken in any new Porsche motor or car.

Here is a good read for you. Enjoy:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...e-s-mouth.html
Old 02-19-2016, 02:23 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

I just test drove a 2016 GTS wirh PDK and have a few questions for owners:
1-I feel about a half second delay in upshifts even in sport plus mode between the time you pull the paddle to when you feel it shifts. Is that what you find too? Downshifts are instantaneous.
Was the car fully warmed up and being driven hard, or was it a short test drive? When I drive off in either of my PDK cars, strolling out of the neighborhood, the shifts are a bit lazy. But as soon as the car warms up and I'm driving hard, they're instantaneous from then on. I've always assumed it's something in the programming.
Old 02-19-2016, 02:25 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by elitex
Call me crazy but I feel that Sportsplus firms up the suspension even more than sport.
Not crazy, just placebo effect or our inability to separate different elements of feedback we get from the car. In my RS5, when I put it in luxo mode and soften up the steering, shift points, throttle response, etc., I'd swear it softens up the suspension as well, but I know it doesn't, as it's not an adjustable suspension. It's just that changes in all those other elements impact the way the suspension is taxed and that feedback is what I'm sensing.

Quick Reply: GTS questions