Sponsored by:

What did you buy your 991 today thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 12:01 PM
Airbag997
Rennlist Member

Received 508 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by Guards_Red_991
How many miles? Mine is a 2012 with 14k miles, not sure if I should change the belt and plugs yet.
Originally Posted by dkmesa
IIRC it is recommended as part of year 6 or 60k mile maintenance. Have you had spark plugs replaced (which is part of year 4 or 40k mile)?
What dkmesa said. Plugs are a 4 yr/40k item, serpentine is 6/60k. I am pretty OCD with things, so I always do whichever comes first mileage or time.

FWIW, my Service Advisor says you can go by the mileage for most items...
Old 09-24-2018, 12:40 PM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 34 Posts

I have seen a few post where guys introduce their new to them 991 here so rather than a new thread here is my new to me 14 S. In a week or so of ownership I have replaced the battery, changed the oil, replace a side marker lamp, replaced the hood shocks, cleaned cleaned cleaned....... going to get the computer scanned this afternoon to just see what all has been going on over its short life. Last water cooled was a 996 and I still have my late Dad's 996 to sell. This car is light years ahead of those and I really like it. This one has been lowered already and the stance seems perfect to me, otherwise stock. Let the fun begin. Thanks

Old 09-24-2018, 01:10 PM
Airbag997
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Steven C.
I have seen a few post where guys introduce their new to them 991 here so rather than a new thread here is my new to me 14 S. In a week or so of ownership I have replaced the battery, changed the oil, replace a side marker lamp, replaced the hood shocks, cleaned cleaned cleaned....... going to get the computer scanned this afternoon to just see what all has been going on over its short life. Last water cooled was a 996 and I still have my late Dad's 996 to sell. This car is light years ahead of those and I really like it. This one has been lowered already and the stance seems perfect to me, otherwise stock. Let the fun begin. Thanks
Very Nice! Congrats. Coming from a 997.2, I must say, the 991 has really grown on me. Minus the steering, everything about the 991 is better IMO.
Old 09-24-2018, 02:49 PM
Guards_Red_991
Burning Brakes

Received 551 Likes on 256 Posts

That's a very good looking one! I haven't introduced mine so I'll just skip it...

Curious to know if you bought without the P O R S C H E lettering in the back or just removed them.
Old 09-24-2018, 02:52 PM
Guards_Red_991
Burning Brakes

Received 551 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Airbag997
2013 with 17,800. Build date is March 2013. Whenever I get a 911 I do the plugs, oil+filter, serpentine, bleed brakes, cabin filters, new battery and air filters so everything is done together. For reference, the belt looked near perfect, as did the plugs, and air filters. I also did a full three stage paint correction, adding new floor mats, and popped in some clear corners Here is a pic of one of the plugs, they all looked identical and excellent as well as the post paint correction (Dark Blue Metallic):
Thanks for responding to my previous question... Now I have another one LOL.. I used Chemical guys V32, 34, 36 and 38, then Zymol Rouge, then Collinite to correct my paint but it didn't come out as good on some parts... I assume the aluminum parts behave different. What did you use to correct your paint?
Old 09-24-2018, 03:26 PM
Airbag997
Rennlist Member

Thanks for responding to my previous question... Now I have another one LOL.. I used Chemical guys V32, 34, 36 and 38, then Zymol Rouge, then Collinite to correct my paint but it didn't come out as good on some parts... I assume the aluminum parts behave different. What did you use to correct your paint?
I use all Meguiars products. For this I did an initial cutting with Meguiars (DA 6") Microfiber cutting pad with Meguiars correction compound (Pink stuff D3000) and then onto a Meguiars polishing microfiber pad and DA polishing compound, then finally Meguiars DA finishing pad and finishing compound. All from DA series. Stuff works wonders. It's amazing.

https://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-da...er-system.html
Old 09-24-2018, 03:30 PM
Airbag997
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts

Aspheric mirrors purchased and installed. Works awesome! Shout out and thanks to WhipE350 and WG!

Gotta get a little used to them initially, but after you do, they are great. The other great thing about them is you no longer have the "Objects look closer than they appear" crap warning in the right side mirror!
Watched your youtube video to remove my driver side mirror which was scuffed to replace. Was very informative, thanks!
The following users liked this post:
osbjmg (08-19-2019)
Old 09-24-2018, 06:18 PM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

That's a very good looking one! I haven't introduced mine so I'll just skip it...

Curious to know if you bought without the P O R S C H E lettering in the back or just removed them.
Thanks! It was ordered with the rear lettering deleted but I plan on putting just the Porsche lettering back on painted platinum satin like the wheels are from the factory. A little too plain back there for me.
Old 09-24-2018, 06:54 PM
dkmesa
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Airbag997
I use all Meguiars products. For this I did an initial cutting with Meguiars (DA 6") Microfiber cutting pad with Meguiars correction compound (Pink stuff D3000) and then onto a Meguiars polishing microfiber pad and DA polishing compound, then finally Meguiars DA finishing pad and finishing compound. All from DA series. Stuff works wonders. It's amazing.

https://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-da...er-system.html
Thanks, I was going to ask the same question Guards did. I have read that Porsche paint is soft, but I was thinking mine was very hard from how stubborn my imperfections are. I have tried the following with a Porter Cable random orbital - M105 with orange pad and microfiber, Menzerna MC2500 with orange pad and microfiber, and none of those combinations did much for my water etching or swirls (though the PO must have used plenty of drivethrough car washes, as they look more like a ****load of RIDS than normal swirling). I finished the job with M205 with white pad then Blackfire Wet Diamond, just to get some protection on it.

I plan to go back with M100 and microfiber (including a new kind, URO Fiber) to see if that has more bite. Ever used that product? Curious how the M100 compares to D300.
Old 09-24-2018, 07:12 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,434 Likes on 2,348 Posts

Thanks! It was ordered with the rear lettering deleted but I plan on putting just the Porsche lettering back on painted platinum satin like the wheels are from the factory. A little too plain back there for me.
You can order one without the model designation but not without "PORSCHE" so it must have been removed. Plenty of places online to get it though and don't be afraid to go with a different color.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:43 PM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
You can order one without the model designation but not without "PORSCHE" so it must have been removed. Plenty of places online to get it though and don't be afraid to go with a different color.
Correct option 498. And correct again PORSCHE is going back option XDH Thanks Bob.

Last edited by Steven C.; 09-27-2018 at 09:19 AM.
Old 09-27-2018, 12:34 AM
arek
Instructor

Received 149 Likes on 70 Posts

GT2/GT3 PDK lever and striped PDK trim for my 991.2 TTS.
Lever in black leather to match the rest of the interior.
The striped trim is most likely from Exclusive Series.
Both from Suncoast.

Old 09-27-2018, 01:23 AM
Hokidachi
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by arek
GT2/GT3 PDK lever and striped PDK trim for my 991.2 TTS.
Lever in black leather to match the rest of the interior.
The striped trim is most likely from Exclusive Series.
Both from Suncoast.

I was thinking about getting the stripped PDK trim and get the stripes painted in Miami Blue to match the exterior color of my C4S.
Given that you had the trim in hands, do you think there's an easy way to separate the part with the stripes from the rest of the trim?

Hoki
Old 09-27-2018, 01:51 AM
fester
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 72 Posts

Nice job!
Old 09-27-2018, 02:37 AM
arek
Instructor

Received 149 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokidachi
I was thinking about getting the stripped PDK trim and get the stripes painted in Miami Blue to match the exterior color of my C4S.
Given that you had the trim in hands, do you think there's an easy way to separate the part with the stripes from the rest of the trim?

Hoki
Should be doable. I was able to take the old trim apart without breaking anything. It's not designed to be disassembled but if you pull on the frame holding the sliding part, you can slide it out (in the direction of the "911" logo).

Quick Reply: What did you buy your 991 today thread